• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Single wheel ADV trailer for my NC.

I decided to weld them to the swingarm on top and sides.
Live life,be yourself !!!!.
NWR,
Glad to see you welded them on. I wouldn't think the rear axle adjusting bolts would be strong enough, or secure enough to depend on for carrying cargo safely. Did you get any distortion in the swing arm material?

I'm not answering for Nortwestrider but I don't think he welded them yet. I would think a couple of good spot welds would be good enough for such a light trailer.
My initial thought was, is there ever a need to be able to take that end off? If so, then cutting a spot welds is no biggy .
I guess you'd never need to get in there unless the adjuster bolt stripped. Is that correct?

I'm not answering for Nortwestrider but I don't think he welded them yet. I would think a couple of good spot welds would be good enough for such a light trailer.
My initial thought was, is there ever a need to be able to take that end off? If so, then cutting a spot welds is no biggy .
I guess you'd never need to get in there unless the adjuster bolt stripped. Is that correct?

You are correct,I won't weld them until everything is done and mounted.
Just a 1/4-3/8" weld on top and side should be good.I have never had to pull the axle block but you never know!!!.

The trailer is on hold for a week or so until I get the clutch sorted out .
03652bb5a936de1a459762b476a7c848.jpg

Built the swingarm mounts today

I also added a brace for the shock tower.

Any thought to spreading the load out to two spars instead of one? The single brace in the middle might take away some of your valuable cargo space.

shock brace.jpg

I'm not an engineer, but I think a double shear versus single shear design for the swing arm mounts might be worth considering. Boxing in the metal and creating two sides for the bolt or pin/whatever it is you are going to use. Though to be honest, I'm still unsure as to how the overall hitch hook up thingy works, so take my ideas for simple guesses and not much more. :eek:

arm brackets.jpg

Something to ponder anyway maybe :D

I like the first idea

I think the second is probably overkill for this application. 1/4" steel is pretty strong! Plus, having it open allows use of the original adjuster.

The center shock support will work ok since the trailer was designed around my cot and tent,the bar fits right between them .
The swing arm mounts are 1/4" angle that will be welded top and side.

I like the first idea

I think the second is probably overkill for this application. 1/4" steel is pretty strong! Plus, having it open allows use of the original adjuster.

Good call on the adjuster access, I guess it would be a little bit of a pain only being able to get at it from beneath, all right!

As it is the adjuster will still be a bit of a PITA !!.
But this bike is so easy on chains that it only needs adjustment about 3-4 times over the life of the chain.

I am watching with great interest. I have been thinking about doing the same thing.

I think I will look at using the axle bolt to pull the trailer by make a bracket the axle goes through and capture the swing arm above and below allowing it to move with the chain adjustment. I would still locate the pivot in a similar location as shown.

Did you consider using the linkage on the swing arm making the spring rate more progressive?

Great job! Keep doing all the trial and error for the rest of us.

One other thought. If you want to keep the bed open. Stiffen the cross piece that the tower connects to and just stiffen the sides. Gusset plates or struts would work equally well on the sides.

If interested, I will post some sketches.

I got 23,000 HARD miles out of the clutch,I did a lot of slipping in deep gravel and rocks the size of bowling balls on the WABDR last summer in 105 degree heat.
I had thought about putting the mounts on the axle but with 1/4" plate I didn't think the axle would be long enough to also keep the notched factory adjuster plates.
I didn't use the linkage for 2 reasons.First was that I didn't use the XT shock because it was WAY to stiff,and second I wanted to keep it simple.After all it's just a light weight,home made trailer to put about 60# of stuff in and go riding,I tried not to over think it too much.

I had thought about putting the mounts on the axle but with 1/4" plate I didn't think the axle would be long enough to also keep the notched factory adjuster plates.

Yes you are right. I would use thinner material where it connected at the axle. I would then weld that to the channel shape to capture the swing arm. The thinner material would only have stress inline with the bike. There should be no stress side to side because of the shape of the stirrup which connects to it. Just thinking out loud. Might not be a good idea.

Cheers

I think Norts idea is simpler. I like it and will copy his "perfected" idea!
Like Cigar Mike said, thanks for doing the hard work ( and sharing!).

Came across another one wheel trailer build on a V-Strom forum. He is in your neck of the woods too. You are pretty far along, but may find some useful info. Others just starting will find a lot of discussion and ideas. Bottom line he took a 3,000 mile two up trip and hardly noticed it was there.

Ultra Light Wieght Trailer Project - Data and Experience Welcome

Back