• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Short notice help ! Moving and need to drain gas tank!

Ponyperformance8

Reaction score
Visit site
Moving tomorrow and just found out I have to have an empty gas tank, how hard is it to drain gas on this beast ? Am I better off just trying to ride out the last Gallon ?

I think it would near impossible to drain without major dissassembly but I've used a length of 1/4" vinyl hose to siphon out most of a tank.

Siphon might be the easiest way to get the most of it out. After that you could run it until it stalls. On bikes where the fuel rail is accessible you can remove one of the injectors and pipe it to a container. I don't have my shop manual handy, but often there is a fuel pressure test port where you test fuel pressure that can be tapped with a hose.

Syphon

Self starting priming syphon ... very inexpensive at a home depot, lowes, or walmart. http://www.homedepot.com/p/DuraHeat-Plastic-Siphon-Pump-DH-10/100372238 @2.95

small battery powered syphon ... http://www.homedepot.com/p/DuraHeat-Battery-Powered-Siphon-Pump-DH-20/100125308?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-203635079-_-100125308-_-N @14.95

At work, we have a cheap and cheerful external fuel pump meant for a car, hooked up with a positive and negative alligator clamp pigtail, and inlet/outlet fuel hoses attached to it. When syphoning needed, we just hook it up to a 12v battery (either in the vehicle needing the drain, or a portable power pack)

I think it cost $10.00 at the wrecker, and have used it since the late 90's without fail.

I have often eyed this as a potential emergency back up method in case the in-tank pump on a bike of mine failed out in the boonies, but so far have been too lazy to find the closest psi/gph pump, and the appropriate quick release fitting to match the bike's.

I might one day still do it, but I've never had a fuel pump fail, so I'm slacking...:eek:

At work, we have a cheap and cheerful external fuel pump meant for a car, hooked up with a positive and negative alligator clamp pigtail, and inlet/outlet fuel hoses attached to it. When syphoning needed, we just hook it up to a 12v battery (either in the vehicle needing the drain, or a portable power pack)

I think it cost $10.00 at the wrecker, and have used it since the late 90's without fail.

I have often eyed this as a potential emergency back up method in case the in-tank pump on a bike of mine failed out in the boonies, but so far have been too lazy to find the closest psi/gph pump, and the appropriate quick release fitting to match the bike's.

I might one day still do it, but I've never had a fuel pump fail, so I'm slacking...:eek:

Could you maybe expand on this a little bit? I'm not sure I completely understand. Do you have it hooked to a hose that goes through the filler neck or do you hook it to the fuel line of the bike?

Could you maybe expand on this a little bit? I'm not sure I completely understand. Do you have it hooked to a hose that goes through the filler neck or do you hook it to the fuel line of the bike?

It would have the inlet hose into the tank via the filler, yes, and the outlet plugged into the quick disconnect fitting leading to the throttle body already on the bike, that the OEM tank line goes to.

Just as a last ditch get back to civilization kinda thing, of course. Similar to having a gas can tied to the hood of your car with a hose going down to the carb, when the fuel pump goes AWOL in the bush lol

Back