• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Short metal valve stems

dog

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Read that a TPMS that uses the monitors on top of the valve stem can break rubber valve stems. I'm trying determine if these valve stems would work:

TIRE-WHEEL-VALVE-ANODIZED-BLACK

I want shorter than OEM to make it easier to get air into the tires. Never changed out valve stems before, so any advice would be appreciated.

I think what he is trying to say is its not a good idea. People put those on Harley's sometimes, since they are a side valve design when the valve stem stretches out from the extra weight and the force of the wheel spinning they will hit the back of the brake calipers and eventually break the valve stem off at the base. I know our bikes have a center valve stem but still that amount of stretching can cause ripping in the rubber on the valve stem.

Read that a TPMS that uses the monitors on top of the valve stem can break rubber valve stems. I'm trying determine if these valve stems would work:

TIRE-WHEEL-VALVE-ANODIZED-BLACK

I want shorter than OEM to make it easier to get air into the tires. Never changed out valve stems before, so any advice would be appreciated.

No, those are still rubber based plugs and could fail from deformation. You would need the straight short all-metal o-ring type that motorboy is warning against. Having done the TPMS thing before, I currently run without them, because I agree that most of the non-OEM systems create more issues than they solve. I use short rubber stems (no TPMS) and change them with every tire change. That way each set of tires has new Schrader valves. I also carry a spare Schrader valve and tool in my tire repair kit.

If I did want to run valve-mounted pressure transducers, I would run the short straight all-metal valves and I would make sure that they were dimensioned correctly to seat properly both internally and externally on the wheels. To change them out, you need to break both tire beads and dismount one side of the tire from the wheel. Install the new valve stem, remount, and re-balance with the pressure transducer on the valve stem.

No, those are still rubber based plugs and could fail from deformation. You would need the straight short all-metal o-ring type that motorboy is warning against. Having done the TPMS thing before, I currently run without them, because I agree that most of the non-OEM systems create more issues than they solve. I use short rubber stems (no TPMS) and change them with every tire change. That way each set of tires has new Schrader valves. I also carry a spare Schrader valve and tool in my tire repair kit.

If I did want to run valve-mounted pressure transducers, I would run the short straight all-metal valves and I would make sure that they were dimensioned correctly to seat properly both internally and externally on the wheels. To change them out, you need to break both tire beads and dismount one side of the tire from the wheel. Install the new valve stem, remount, and re-balance with the pressure transducer on the valve stem.

GOT IT -- thanks! I have new tires ready to mount and was really having a problem figuring out what what would be the best valve stem to use for the TPMS. Logic dictates short, non-angled valve stems so I think I'm ready to look around for some short, straight, all-metal O-ring type 11.3mm valve stems. As for the TPMS, I know I won't be checking my tire pressure as often as I should otherwise. This one was the best I could find/afford and even has an audio alarm if the pressure drops. I'm also going to give the "Ride-On" product a try. (Yes, I know, THAT is a controversial subject....)

Well said, as you can see I like to respond but my writing skills are shalll we say lacking always has been I think I was absent when they taught that, as I say I can read writing just can't write reading I use to write tech articles for some service manuals no one knew what I was trying to say so a secretary came into the picture I talked she wrote so if any one has a problem trying to figure out what I'm saying just let me know I'll try to get my point across so you can understand......

Hey motorboy -- the important thing is that you are helping a guy with limited motorcycle experience. THAT makes you a good soul in my book, so THANKS! If the other guys hadn't clarified it, I would have asked you for more information.

I'm resurrecting this olde thread because i am in the same situation: I have a TPMS that i want to install but still the oem-valves.

Is it possible to do the exchange maybe even without taking the wheels of the bike? I'm thinking of using a plank and a bar-clamp to squeeze the rubber so i can reach the valve from the inside.
For balancing i'd just place 10 grams on the opposing side of the TPMS.

I'm just not sure if that might be even doable as i have no idea how bendable a motorbike-tire is ... i actually never had one in my hands that wasn't full of air.

Part why i want to do it this way is, that i do not have access to a garage and a lot of tools.

uh, thanks. I want to use the Steelmate TP90 , which are similar.

Did you read that i am actually saying that i want to upgrade to metal stems (sry, kept calling them valves)? I just wonder if it is possible without fancy tools ....

having just changed my OEM tires (to PR4s), and replacing the stock rubber stems with these (Motorcycle Anchor Valves), I think you're going to have to break the bead on the tire to get to where the valve stem passes through the wheel.

Based on my grand experience of changing front and rear tires exactly once, I'd say it would be quite difficult to reach the middle of the wheel to install the new metal stem (and mounting nut) without practically removing the tire.

anxious to see what others think.

Hm, breaking the bead. Yes, i was actually not aware of this any more.

And after watching some youtube videos of how to do that, i am certain that i can't do that. I do not have the required things here. But maybe a collegue of mine.

But seems once i get through this, it would be easy to push the tire aside to get to the stem form the inside.

Yeah - I was surprised (not in the good way) at what a PITA breaking the bead was even with proper, albeit hand, tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm using Steelmate TP90 for second year on my nc with stock rubber stems. I cruise at 85mph sometimes riding 100mph - stems looks ok. I believe that rubber stems absorbs inertia of tpms caps somehow. Also tp90 caps are pretty lightweight, only a few grams.

Whenever I fit new tires, I use the opportunity to switch from the rubber valve stems to the short, 80-degree angle alum stems.

I'm using Steelmate TP90 for second year on my nc with stock rubber stems. I cruise at 85mph sometimes riding 100mph - stems looks ok. I believe that rubber stems absorbs inertia of tpms caps somehow. Also tp90 caps are pretty lightweight, only a few grams.

Thanks for the report! Will propably do that too and just change to metal ones with the next tire-change.

I had my 1000 mile factory tire replaced today due to a gash in it causing flatness.

I didn't notice til I got home that the dealer had changed the valve stem from the really short factory stem to a taller rubber stem.

I am using my old TPMS system so I used a few zip ties to stabilize the stem from moving with tire rotation. Don't want the extra weight of the TPMS sensor to stress the stem.

Deano

IMG_20170814_154911529.jpg

Back