• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Shock Adjustment

jmzd4

Reaction score
Visit site
So I took the NC on its first 3 day camping trip this past weekend and when I loaded up the panniers (Givi Outback Trekkers 37L) with everything that I needed (tent, sleeping bag, food, stove, air mattress, clothes, etc., and not much more than that) and sat on it I thought that it was riding a bit low in the rear. The reason I know this is because the kickstand did not have as much clearance as when I don't have all that stuff on the bike. I usually run the bike with just the panniers so i can commute back and forth to work with everything I might need. I weigh ~190, the Givi panniers allow for 22lbs/each (~10kg/each), plus the weight of the pannier racks and the top rack for a Givi Maxima 55L (which is nothing when not loaded) and I don't really run the Maxima unless I don't have the panniers on, so its kind of a non-sequitor.

So I guess my question is do I buy a new shock (Ohlins or what not) to accommodate the weight that I add on, or can I adjust the the OEM shock? And if I do have to adjust the OEM shock how should I do it? One reason I ask this is that in 2018 I plan on running the Trans Labrador Highway and don't want to have a broken shock when I do because of all of the extra weight.

Thanks

Picture for reference:

The rear shock is adjustable. You can preload it by loosening the top ring (counter-clockwise) then turning the bottom ring clockwise. When you have it adjusted where you want it, turn the top ring clockwise to lock it back down.

Hope that helps. If not, search this forum for "preload" and multiple threads will come back in the results.

In the meantime, start this video at 18:12. That's the spot where he shows you how to adjust the shock on his bike. Ours works the same way.
[video=youtube_share;FasfBfgP0VI]https://youtu.be/FasfBfgP0VI?t=18m12s[/video]

Last edited:
My preload is cranked as far down as it will go. I was thinking of lightening it up a bit,as I am light and solo with no luggage. and found this thread. this guy uses a punch to adjust. Is this the correct procedure? Maybe their isn't enough room for the proper tool[spanner] . I saw a bunch on amazon, with different prices and sizes. Are cheap ones good enough for a seldom used tool ? What do you use? And where would be the sweet spot[if any] for a 160lb solo rider.
https://www.amazon.com/Pit-Posse-Mo...=1-1&keywords=motorcycle+shock+adjusting+tool

Last edited:
My preload is cranked as far down as it will go. I was thinking of lightening it up a bit,as I am light and solo with no luggage. and found this thread. this guy uses a punch to adjust. Is this the correct procedure? Maybe their isn't enough room for the proper tool[spanner] . I saw a bunch on amazon, with different prices and sizes. Are cheap ones good enough for a seldom used tool ? What do you use? And where would be the sweet spot[if any] for a 160lb solo rider.
https://www.amazon.com/Pit-Posse-Mo...=1-1&keywords=motorcycle+shock+adjusting+tool

The first time I attempted to adjust my rear shock, I used a hammer and a long screwdriver with a blunted tip. I was able to move the shock about 1/4 of a revolution before giving up. I tried a large set of channel locks and was able to turn it about another 3/4 of a turn or less. The handles were just too long to work in that tiny space, so I gave up again.

I ordered a cheap Bike Master Shock wrench, but had to narrow the tooth a bit with a file to get it to fit in the notches on the rings. That made it easier to adjust, but still no picnic. To get my paws in there with the wrench, I literally rubbed my knuckles raw til they were bleeding against the underside of the fender. That wrench has to be parallel to the ring to get a solid bite. The only way to do it any more efficiently is to remove the fender, which is a royal pain in the @zz.

The wrench makes it a LOT easier

[...That's the spot where he shows you how to adjust the shock on his bike.]

Using a claw hammer to work on motor vehicles is not kosher!

I haven't done mine yet, but experience with my previous ride was cleaning and de-gritting the rear shock preload adjustment area reduced my curse factor by half.

I adjusted the preload on my factory shock so that static and 'race' sag were correct for the way I normally ride the bike. That said, I will note that Honda said to NOT adjust the shock preload, at least on the 2012s. I called American Honda in Torrance, and once he looked for it, the guy found and confirmed the bulletin they had sent to dealers with this info. No idea why (and he couldn't tell me), and nothing bad happened to me when I adjusted mine anyway, but thought I should mention it.

I adjusted the preload on my factory shock so that static and 'race' sag were correct for the way I normally ride the bike. That said, I will note that Honda said to NOT adjust the shock preload, at least on the 2012s. I called American Honda in Torrance, and once he looked for it, the guy found and confirmed the bulletin they had sent to dealers with this info. No idea why (and he couldn't tell me), and nothing bad happened to me when I adjusted mine anyway, but thought I should mention it.
makes me wonder why they put an adjustment on it then

makes me wonder why they put an adjustment on it then

I guess liability issues. And same spring for different type of bikes.

And if they tested the bike with just this one preload (cost-issues ... testing costs money), they ofc can't say it is safe with a different setting.

Back