• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Shift shaft oil leak

Woolfy

Reaction score
Visit site
Took my '13 NC700 in to dealer to diagnose small oil leak from bottom of engine, they call back and say it is coming from shifter shaft seal, and they would have to take engine off and spilt case to inspect/repair. Has anyone else had this problem before? (I searched forum)
Does the case have to be split to change this seal? Without the bike in front of me, I don't know what type of seal it is. I would hope that a seal in a shaft could be changed without splitting the case. Thanks all!

The bike is under extended warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suppose that they could be technically correct. However I have seen similar seals on other bikes replaced easily with a little bit of invention and logic. Perhaps they are hoping to cash in on your extended warranty .

A dealer splitting the cases. :eek: *shudder*

Perhaps later I can check the service manual and see what it says about that.

Last edited:
I would get a second opinion or wait for others to respond............not sure the Honda rep would want to engine pulled and split for a small leak that maybe repair by another technique??????
As others, I am not sure about the NC shift, but on many other to occasions I have removed the seal with all components in place.

One simple technique is screw a screw into the seal and pull it out. Or hook the seal on the inner lip with a tool and pull. Tap the new seal in and done. Again this is on other bikes so it may not apply to the NC?

According to the factory service manual, engine stays on the bike, seal presses in from the outside, is held in by a plate.

They have you remove the the right engine cover, pull the spindle, and for some reason a few other things after pulling the spindle.

It's completely feasible to do it without even removing the spindle, and you definitely don't need to pull the engine, let alone split the case.

When I had timing chain tensioner trouble, I went to the dealer to see how much it would cost. He said it would only be about 5 hrs. (pull the head). I had already "internetted" the process and hours and told him NO it only pays around 1 1/2 hours and left. I did it in about an hour.
The service people will sometimes speak out of previous experience from another bike or bikes without actually referring to the manual. The mechanic would have probably caught it and made it right because the factory will only pay what it pays.
Good for you having an extended warranty.

After thinking about it for a few hours, I called the service rep back and told them to fix the oil leak. Without ever have performed the task myself, I can't say whether or not the service rep was blowing smoke up my exhaust or didn't check the manual before calling me about the leak. Regardless of how it's fixed, it is under warranty and I don't want oil staining my garage floor. Thank you maxwellian for the information and the manual pages, I'm going to order one up myself.

On a not so funny moment, on the ride to the dealer to get the oil leak fixed, which was my first ride in 5 months due to deployment, I got in someone's else oil spill while turning in an intersection and almost went down on the pipe side. The rear tire washed out and only the steel toe of my boot (ATGATT) prevented me from going down. Just thought it weird that on my way to get an oil leak fixed I get in someone else's oil mess on the road and almost have my first lay down in 30 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Please keep us updated on this. However as suggested above I would not have a dealer split crankcases for this issue under any circumstances.

[...I got in someone's else oil spill while turning in an intersection and almost went down...]

Be extra cautious as you approach intersections where cars/trucks have to stop because there is usually plenty of slippery stuff on the ground.

Last edited:
Look the bike over very closely when you go to pick it up. In cases like these, expect electrical things to be left disconnected, cowl screws in the wrong places, hoses misrouted, covers misaligned, etc. Allow extra time when you go so you can give it right back to them and address the issues.

I speak from experience with prior warranty repairs. Never again . . .

They are carrying out a warranty repair , it is more likely that as the cost is covered by Honda rather than a quick fix they intend to disassemble the whole system to identify if there is a reason for the seal failing, which would seem unusual for the age of the bike.

It is a new model, warranty work will be being used to assess any design flaws.

I recall a thread concerning valve adjustment where I was a little quick to query pulling the covers at 8K miles until it was pointed out that that was the original service interval for the check, subsequently changed to 16K miles on later years of manufacture.

Keep us informed how the work goes, and if the strip down highlights a deeper problem

<<<The bike is under extended warranty.>>>

Is this the Honda "HPP", , (Honda Protection Plan) or a plan provided by someone other than Honda?? Either way, , , if your bike is beyond the original "Factory Warranty", , , the bike would not be covered by that original Warranty!! The "Service Contract" plans usually have the same conditions as the Factory Warranty but is paid from funds collected from those who purchase the plans, , , like Insurance!! If the plan you have is from someone other than Honda, , , Honda may never know of the repairs!!

A Service Manual is a very good source of information!! Also, , you can go to some sites like Revzilla and pull up the "Parts Catalog" page showing the seal!! Looking at the parts catalog, , multiple pages you can get an idea of what it would take to "Split" the cases!! If indeed it isn't necessary to split the cases to replace the seal, , question the "Service Manager/Service Writer" to explain to you why the cases need to be split!! Also ask them about your Service Contract!! Usually there is an "Approval" necessary from the Company who owns the Contract!! You don't want to find out later that the contract only covers part of the repairs, , , especially if the cases are split!!

In the UK the new Honda would be covered by 2 years warranty by Honda themselves at a Honda approved service centre.

Does the Honda warranty work differently in the US?

It seems you guys in the states get a different package to us over here in Europe, I was shocked to find out you don't get the HISS immobiliser or DataTag whilst using the forum in December?

American Honda's Motorcycle Warranty varies based on the model!! His bike may still be within the OEM Factory Warranty!! I was responding to his statement that he had, , , "Extended Warranty"!!

Here's a link to American Honda's Program, , , called HPP, , Honda Protection Plan!! If his OEM, , Factory Warranty has expired & he has HPP then the leaky seal would be covered by HPP, , , not the factory Warranty!!

Motorcycles Protection Plan - Honda Powersports

In the UK the new Honda would be covered by 2 years warranty by Honda themselves at a Honda approved service centre.

It seems you guys in the states get a different package to us over here in Europe, I was shocked to find out you don't get the HISS immobiliser or DataTag whilst using the forum in December?

I just looked it up and American Honda's Warranty on the NC700X is One Year, , Unlimited Mileage!!

The link I attached to my last message is American Honda's site!! You can find all the bikes sold in the USA on that site!! If you go to "Specifications" on the individual bike page, , , at the bottom of the Specs the Warranty on that bike is listed!!

So it is possible his bike is beyond the Factory Warranty!!

I just looked it up and American Honda's Warranty on the NC700X is One Year, , Unlimited Mileage!!

The link I attached to my last message is American Honda's site!! You can find all the bikes sold in the USA on that site!! If you go to "Specifications" on the individual bike page, , , at the bottom of the Specs the Warranty on that bike is listed!!

So it is possible his bike is beyond the Factory Warranty!!

Thanks for this, it explains why folk were so concerned that the dealer wanted to pull the engine apart, and now I have your info, I wholeheartedly agree with those concerns!!!!

To answer OP, I had the same problem with my '12. It was repaired just before the warranty ran out. I was nervous about them splitting the case too, but I've had 35k miles of trouble free riding and thankful for the warranty. It actually prompted me to spring for the extended warranty in case anything like that popped up again.

Back