• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

SGT at the dragon

I've been to the Dragon a couple of times on my ST but not in a few years. I doubt I will ever do that road again. I was almost in a serious accident caused by a guy going way too fast on a sport bike. It's not my abilities I'm worried about. I ride twisty roads all of the time at a fair pace. It's the idiots that think that road is a place to act like a daredevil. I'm not going to get caught up in that......at least not on that road. There are plenty of other roads that are more scenic and just as twisty over there that don't have the appeal to squids.

I'm certainly not trying to rain on this parade and would, in fact, love to make it over to camp and commune with fellow NC riders. If I do make it over, I will choose a different road to ride while everyone goes to tame the Dragon......I've been there, done that and bought the t-shirt.......and the sticker.
Mike

Understandable, that's one reason I want to go in the morning and before summer, less of a chance of it being busy. All sorts of roads up there, with one I want to hit again is wayah rd. Twisty, hardly anyone on it, something like 7 waterfalls along the way.

Last edited:
Wayah road is one I would like to ride. I was on the Dragon on a Monday at 0730 on August 4th I believe. Traffic was light and I wasn't in a hurry, just enjoying the ride until I almost got knocked off a ravine.
That area in general is one of my favorites and I would like to go back over there again. Is there one general spot where everyone will be camping? I thought I read Fontana Dam? Sounds like a good spot.
Mike

I was planning on getting a hotel room some place and hadn’t considered camping. My camping experience consists of throwing the 2 room tent in the truck with multiple coolers, chairs, queen size air mattress, fire wood, kitchen sink…….. How do you carry the eggs, bacon, and coffee pot?

I wold be open to camping, unless I have the woman. Last year I stayed at a best western near the dragon, wasn't too bad price wise, big enough rooms, free breakfast, and a Jacuzzi tub.

Camping would be nice as we can sit around the fire afterword and tell tall tails, I mean true stories drinking some cold ones. (or warm if nobody brings a cooler)

I love moto-camping. It's really the only way I travel as it saves so much money. Last year I did more free camping on BLM land and it was great. Although, it wasn't great riding the RT down 10 miles of gravel roads to get to the camping spot - that's what excites me about the NC.

I'd much rather pitch a tent than sleep in a motel. I know my sleeping bag doesn't have bed bugs!
Mike

If I make it there I will definitely camp. Hate hotels.

Greg

No hotels/motels for me.

I've pitched my tent at a Pilot Travel Center parking lot a few times, lol.
If I would have slept in a hotel on my trip, I would lose 1/2 the stories I had to tell family & friends when I got back.
The money I save versus getting a hotel room will get me across a few mid-sized states on my NC.

When the details of where and when get decided, I will be putting in for the time off to make it to this get-together.

Last edited:
No hotels/motels for me.

I've pitched my tent at a Pilot Travel Center parking lot a few times, lol.
If I would have slept in a hotel on my trip, I would lose 1/2 the stories I had to tell family & friends when I got back.
The money I save versus getting a hotel room will get me across a few mid-sized states on my NC.

When the details of where and when get decided, I will be putting in for the time off to make it to this get-together.

The when will be the weekend of may 11th. As far as where we are staying has yet to be decided.

As far as camping goes, I see

On Fontana dam
http://www.fontanavillage.com/
$20~30 Has showers

Campground Rates 2011
$30 a night for up to 6 people, has a pool, hot tube, and showers.

Rates
$18 for two people. Probably the most motorcycle friendly, will provide coolers, showers, ice machine. will also do food runs, which we wouldn't need with a small army of NC frunks.

Camping in the national forest is an option at $14 a night, but they don't have showers. There is a KOA nearby also ranging around $25 a night for 6 people.

So the cheapest options would be to share sites and split the cost. I'm sure some places put a limit on how many tents can be on a site, so some might have to share tents as well.

So what do you'll think?

Last edited:
Just added fontana dam to the list of campsites. I've also just realized that Sunday May the 12th is mothers day. Will this cause a conflict?

fontana dam is where I will be. I camped there last year for 4 days and loved it. They have bathrooms and a shower on the campsite and where fairy clean. There is no fire wood near by and you will need some good stakes and a hammer for the tent (Its a thin layer of dirt with rocks underneath.)

I live just 30 mins from the dragon if you are there on the week end you better keep to the 30 MPH limit. There are a lot of great other roads around there. Hope to see some of you there

What is everyone thinking for food? I plan on going to Sweet P's BBQ at least once while I'm down there. Of the campers, is anyone planning on cooking or just hitting some of the local joints? I think it would be nice to meet for breakfast before the main meet. That way there is a hard location that everyone can find without any problems compared to my "meet at this pull off."

Also, Hunts campground and Fontana dam are the two I've seen people mention. If anyone has stayed at one of them, what is the campfire situation for them? Hunts looks like a place your tent wherever you can find a place, so that makes me wonder if you can have a fire.

Last edited:
What is everyone thinking for food? I plan on going to Sweet P's BBQ at least once while I'm down there. Of the campers, is anyone planning on cooking or just hitting some of the local joints? I think it would be nice to meet for breakfast before the main meet. That way there is a hard location that everyone can find without any problems compared to my "meet at this pull off."

I plan on eating "out" except for heating coffee and eating snacks at the camp.

Greg

Back