• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

SGT at the dragon

I am usually within a couple hundred miles of Deals Gap sometime in May. May I suggest May 11, 2013 as I am going to be camping at Meadows of Dan, VA that weekend? I'm in for this event.

Deals Gap on August 18th 2012:
NC700XDealsGap.jpg

This could be a PR pic on the NC for Honda. Looks great!

How many are planning on being there? I plan on being there with a camp site rented at fontana dam. If you plan on pitching a tent or have a small camper let me know.The camp sites have plenty of room.

I have been on that road several times, and left a lot of foot peg rubber and aluminum on the road. once i followed a police car at 45-55 miles per hour for five or six miles and he pulled over and waved me by. what a cool road, i was on a st1300.

Played around on mapquest last night. ~570 miles for me to get there by Interstate (boring). I-40 Little Rock-Memphis-Nashville-Knoxville. Looked at taking 64 out of Memphis which gave me a more southern route to Chattanooga and then up. That came in at ~620 miles. My longest ride so far has been ~150 miles in a day so I'm starting to question my sanity in considering this. Anyhow, any TN guys know a better route?

I did 2500 miles in 5 days last year on my CBR (including going from St. Louis, MO to Knoxville, TN in one day), that was brutal towards the end. I would do the scenic rout and make it a two day trip if you have the time/funds to do it that way. That way you could enjoy the ride a little more and not feel rushed.

I am considering this event. Did the dragon a couple years ago on my ride from Virginia Beach to Fort Worth, when I retired from the Navy, riding a lowered heavily customized 02 Vstar 1100, and it was more fun than any road I've been on before or since. Can only imagine what it would be like with the NC, this bike can lean!!!
Would love the excuse to take a long ride!!! Anyone else from Texas going??

We're less than three months away from this Dragon event. I'm starting to make some plans and feasibility studies for this. I'm about 550 miles away, but I've been to the Dragon many times. Are we still set for sure on May 11, 2013?

Greg

Last edited:
I GOTTA get alot better at riding before I take something like that on, although it does look to be fun. I rode yesterday a bit (first time in a while since it has been cold) and went on a local county highway that was curvy to me, although it would be considered straight as compared to what the Dragon is. I had to take those curves at 35-40mph, which I'm sure you guys could easily do at 60mph. I'm just too inexperienced (and chicken :eek: ). Maybe one day, though

I GOTTA get alot better at riding before I take something like that on, although it does look to be fun. I rode yesterday a bit (first time in a while since it has been cold) and went on a local county highway that was curvy to me, although it would be considered straight as compared to what the Dragon is. I had to take those curves at 35-40mph, which I'm sure you guys could easily do at 60mph. I'm just too inexperienced (and chicken :eek: ). Maybe one day, though
It is as you say. You have to gain experience by riding and improving skills over time but you have to log seat time to do that.

As far as the Dragon goes there are lots of inexperienced riders that make the pilgrimage to Deals Gap. There is nothing that says you can't take the curves at a speed you are comfortable with - every weekend there are riders of all skill levels there. You might not want to ride across it at midday on a weekend when it is crowded with all kinds of riders but there is early morning and late afternoon to avoid the crowd.

I know that I was in on this weekend early on but I have since learned my son will be graduating from college on May 11 at 11 AM in Indianapolis so unless the date changes by at least a couple weeks I will not be able to make the inaugural event.

I'm looking forward to go. I live in Greenville, South Carolina, it's like 3 to 4 hours to get there, I hope I will meet members there. I heard good things about it when I got the 700.

Don’t let your perceived inexperience prevent you from going. I figure we will break into two groups. Let the speed demons go first and then those of us who know how to properly enjoy a ride will follow.

Unless something changes I'm planning on 2 days to get there. Play sat/sun and then 1 or 2 days to drive back.

My sister and brother in-law just did the tail this past summer. Great job and huge props to my sister in law Diane who is kinda new to the game. Unfortunately I don't think I will be able to make it down to join the fun. I am planning a trip to New Orleans for Mardis Gras this year and cannot do two trips. Ride safe and have fun at the tail boys and girls!!

rodnpat, the tail is no big deal, just another curvy road. Ride at a pace you are comfortable with, enjoy the scenery and don't speed, the man is all over that stretch of asphalt.

I've been to the Dragon a couple of times on my ST but not in a few years. I doubt I will ever do that road again. I was almost in a serious accident caused by a guy going way too fast on a sport bike. It's not my abilities I'm worried about. I ride twisty roads all of the time at a fair pace. It's the idiots that think that road is a place to act like a daredevil. I'm not going to get caught up in that......at least not on that road. There are plenty of other roads that are more scenic and just as twisty over there that don't have the appeal to squids.

I'm certainly not trying to rain on this parade and would, in fact, love to make it over to camp and commune with fellow NC riders. If I do make it over, I will choose a different road to ride while everyone goes to tame the Dragon......I've been there, done that and bought the t-shirt.......and the sticker.
Mike

Back