• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Service-How Often?

700Xbox

Reaction score
Visit site
How often is service recommended for the bike, oil and filter change, checking the valves?

Thanks for any replies. The intervals should be suggested, in the owners booklet, if you got one with your bike.

The valves have screw, nut type adjusters. Looks like checking them yourself, should be easy.

Thanks, swissnc700. Do you think that is for the oil change and valves both?

According to the maintenance schedule in the manual (and I'm looking at a PDF version of the Euro manual), the first 600 mile (1km) service only calls for replacing the engine oil, the oil filter and the clutch oil filter - and inspecting things like engine idle, etc. (Never heard of a separate filter for the clutch before. Hmmm...) Valve inspection isn't called out until the first 8000 mile service and every 8000 mile service thereafter.

Whilst service periods are 8000 miles I'm having the oil & filter changed every 4000. This may be overkill but to my mind oil & filters are cheaper than engines.

Within limits, a dirty filter does a better job of filtration than a clean one because the contaminants act as a pre-coat on the filter media. The limit being pressure drop. This is true of air filters as well. Since this same size filter canister is used in many car engines, I would suggest that it has plenty of capacity to collect foreign material for the published service interval. You may, however, derive some peace of mind from a shortened oil change interval. May I suggest oil changes at the interval you suggest and filter changes every other time?

Within limits, a dirty filter does a better job of filtration than a clean one because the contaminants act as a pre-coat on the filter media. The limit being pressure drop. This is true of air filters as well. Since this same size filter canister is used in many car engines, I would suggest that it has plenty of capacity to collect foreign material for the published service interval. You may, however, derive some peace of mind from a shortened oil change interval. May I suggest oil changes at the interval you suggest and filter changes every other time?

Not sure I would be happy with that to me putting clean oil through a dirty filter seems like washing up in dirty water. However it could just be me being over cautious due to my days on Brit bikes. At least they had automatic oil changes. The rider put it in at the top it went around the engine a few times and then went out of the bottom:)

Not sure I would be happy with that to me putting clean oil through a dirty filter seems like washing up in dirty water. However it could just be me being over cautious due to my days on Brit bikes. At least they had automatic oil changes. The rider put it in at the top it went around the engine a few times and then went out of the bottom:)

Your analogy does not correlate. It is not whether you are happy or cautious that protects your engine, it is how well the oil is filtered. I am a retired chemical engineer and know a bit of chemistry and filtration both in professional work and as a 45 year DIY motorcyclist. I mentioned precoat as one reason that "dirty" filters filter better than clean ones. Another consideration is that contaminants in the the oil are often agglomerative and they can attract and retain other contaminants before ever reaching the filtration medium. I can't pull up the reference at the moment, but there are graphs which show the filtration efficiency and pressure drop of a new filter over service time. Both the filtration efficiency and pressure drop rise over time. Eventually, a filter becomes unusable because the pressure drop is too high. At the highest level (8-15 psi) the bypass valve will open and the filter will be bypassed. This is oviously too long. However, bear in mind that the filtration efficiency kept on climbing. It other words, the filter was doing a better, not worse, job of filtering as it was used. Now, to the question of how much service one can get before the pressure drop indicates that it should be changed? Two filters of a given physical external size can have greatly different filtering area. So, you need a good filter. You can buy a bunch and saw them open, or look on the internet for sites where this has been done and presented such as http://www.leroybeal.net/motorcycles/silverwing/articles/oil-filters/Motorcycle%2520oil%2520filters%2520exposed.pdf Stop and go city driving will foul a filter (and the oil) quicker than expressway driving. Short trips where the engine doesn't reach operating temperature are especially bad. Without answers to these questions (because you don't have a pressure drop gauge on your oil filter) you have to accept some guidance from researchers who have tested it. Honda cars and Suzuki motorcycles are two examples of many companies who recommend a filter replacement every other change. For Honda cars, that would be about a 15,000 mile filter life.

8,000 miles on the 700x filter is clearly adequate because the factory would not provide an unworkable change interval. Remember, among other things that they sell filters too. Added to this, the load on the filter is reduced if you change oil at the 4,000 mile interval, so your filter build-up would be less than for an 8,000 mile run on a single fill of oil. That is a safety margin in your favor on top of the factory spec interval. I firmly believe that my recommendation provides your engine with cleaner oil over its lifetime. But obviously, it is your scoot and you should and will do as you wish. Peace. Out.

Last edited:
Your analogy does not correlate. It is not whether you are happy or cautious that protects your engine, it is how well the oil is filtered. I am a retired chemical engineer and know a bit chemistry and filtration both in professional work and as a 45 year DIY motorcyclist. I mentioned precoat as one reason that "dirty" filters filter better than clean ones. Another consideration is that contaminants in the the oil are often agglomerative and they can attract and retain other contaminants before ever reaching the filtration medium. I can't pull up the reference at the moment, but there are graphs which show the filtration efficiency and pressure drop of a new filter over service time. Both the filtration efficiency and pressure drop rise over time. Eventually, a filter becomes unusable because the prssure drop is too high. At the highest level (8-15 psi) the bypass valve will open and the filter will be bypassed. This is oviously too long. However, bear in mind that the filtration efficiency kept on climbing. It other words, the filter was doing a better, not worse, job of filtering as it was used. Now, to the question of how much service one can get before the pressure drop indicates that it should be changed? Two filters of a given physical external size can have greatly different filtering area. So, you need a good filter. You can buy a bunch and saw them open, or look on the internet for sites where this has been done and presented such as http://www.leroybeal.net/motorcycles/silverwing/articles/oil-filters/Motorcycle%2520oil%2520filters%2520exposed.pdf Stop and go city driving will foul a filter (and the oil) quicker than expressway driving. Short trips where the engine doesn't reach operating temperature are especially bad. Without answers to these questions (because you don't have a pressure drop gauge on your oil filter) you have to accept some guidance from researchers who have tested it. Honda cars and Suzuki motorcycles are two examples of many companies who recommend a filter replacement every other change. For Honda cars, that would be about a 15,000 mile filter life.

8,000 miles on the 700x filter is clearly adequate because the factory would not provide an unworkable change interval. Remember, among other things that they sell filters too. Added to this, the load on the filter is reduced if you change oil at the 4,000 mile interval, so your filter build-up would be less than for an 8,000 mile run on a single fill of oil. That is a safety margin in your favor on top of the factory spec interval. I firmly believe that my recommendation provides your engine with cleaner oil over its lifetime. But obviously, it is your scoot and you should and will do as you wish. Peace. Out.

Hi sir,
Lets just say I am balls-carrying, but I really like your technical expertise on this forum. Please stay around...
I was also once on the Honda Shadow.net and it rocks, with people like you.
On topic: I will always change oil filters with the oil, because both are "cheap" for me. I am a one-bike hero for now.
:D
~Joe.

Yeah, what towjam Rocker66 say. The book states at first 600mi (1000*0.6), Engine Oil & Filter, plus clutch oil filter (on the XD), thence every 8000mi/12mths, plus some cleaning and inspection of other parts per schedule. There is buffer built in and science in the filtering (like beemerphile says), but I will be diligent on the maintenance and see how things go from there.

Its not my plan to buy another bike anytime soon ;-)

Your analogy does not correlate. It is not whether you are happy or cautious that protects your engine, it is how well the oil is filtered. I am a retired chemical engineer and know a bit of chemistry and filtration both in professional work and as a 45 year DIY motorcyclist. I mentioned precoat as one reason that "dirty" filters filter better than clean ones. Another consideration is that contaminants in the the oil are often agglomerative and they can attract and retain other contaminants before ever reaching the filtration medium. I can't pull up the reference at the moment, but there are graphs which show the filtration efficiency and pressure drop of a new filter over service time. Both the filtration efficiency and pressure drop rise over time. Eventually, a filter becomes unusable because the prssure drop is too high. At the highest level (8-15 psi) the bypass valve will open and the filter will be bypassed. This is oviously too long. However, bear in mind that the filtration efficiency kept on climbing. It other words, the filter was doing a better, not worse, job of filtering as it was used. Now, to the question of how much service one can get before the pressure drop indicates that it should be changed? Two filters of a given physical external size can have greatly different filtering area. So, you need a good filter. You can buy a bunch and saw them open, or look on the internet for sites where this has been done and presented such as http://www.leroybeal.net/motorcycles/silverwing/articles/oil-filters/Motorcycle%2520oil%2520filters%2520exposed.pdf Stop and go city driving will foul a filter (and the oil) quicker than expressway driving. Short trips where the engine doesn't reach operating temperature are especially bad. Without answers to these questions (because you don't have a pressure drop gauge on your oil filter) you have to accept some guidance from researchers who have tested it. Honda cars and Suzuki motorcycles are two examples of many companies who recommend a filter replacement every other change. For Honda cars, that would be about a 15,000 mile filter life.

That is a really interesting read and I'm sure that with your qualifications you are absolutely correct. As the saying goes youre never too old to learn and I'm always more than willing to do so

That is a really interesting read and I'm sure that with your qualifications you are absolutely correct. As the saying goes youre never too old to learn and I'm always more than willing to do so

In my drug manufacturing past, I used to face a very similar issue often with client quality representatives who wanted to start every drug production campaign with clean HEPA filters because it made them "feel better". But the science says differently and the validation studies prove it.

Back