• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Sargents Saddle

mtiberio

Reaction score
gjm.site90.com
Mine came in last week. I just finished a 100 mile ride today, and I can say it is a big improvement over stock. I left in place the wooden blocks that I had glued to the frame at the front to level out the stock saddle. I did not feel the Sargents Saddle was leaning too far back. What this means is it probably would have too much forward slope if installed without spacers under the front.

IMG_1480.jpgIMG_1481.jpgIMG_1482.jpg

I have plenty on the moto guzzi forums. The white one is a 2009 California Vintage 1100. The black one is a 1972 Eldorado with the drivetrain out of a 1976 1000 Automatic (yes I loves me some automatics, hence the DCT). The other bike in the garage is a yamaha 400cc scooter. 3 out of my 4 bikes are automatics, and all via different technologies. Old racing accidents mean I have 3 pins in my left ankle, and one pin in my left wrist. A total of 6 surgeries... If I don't have to shift or clutch I'm a happy camper. The saddle? well confort is what it is all about at 60 years old and 42+ years of riding.

the best thing about this saddle vs stock is it is wider, and if you have a wide *** like me, you you realize the more surface area you can get supported, the more comfortable a saddle is. I pulled the passenger saddle because it was pushing me forward just that little bit. I have Rox risers on my bike and forward mounted floorboards to give my bike better ergos (for me). It is critical I put my *** as far back as possible. The little piece of pipe insulation is there to save me from direct contact with the passenger seat latch bracket. Eventually I will fabricate a rack (my own design, not HONDABIKEPRO's) to fill the gap where the passenger seat goes.

Got mine in this Friday. Went on a 200 mile ride after. So much better. The center is cut out so no tail bone pressure, it is much wider for a nice cupped feeling, and most importantly for me, the rounding to the sides of the saddle is smooth, no sharp corner hitting my inner upper thigh. After the ride, I need some risers, and then I could ride all day! So happy! My only complaint, color options. I even googled their colors for piping, but ended up going flat top stich, so nothing to hit my legs while leaning over.

Stock mounting position works great for me.

Have to agree with the OP's comment regarding the slope. I tried the Sargent, and sadly, it did not fix the slope problem. You can see the sloping profile in the OP's photos. With the standard slippery cover, you slide right up on the frunk if you do a quick stop.

I don't mention this to put down the product, as many people do like this seat. But it may be helpful feedback for anyone deciding what to buy.

I think spacers under the front of the seat are a must with this saddle, but I did not run it without. Unfortunately Sargents didn't think about this. Hell, it would be nice if some seat manufacturer would build a drivers seat with no regard for a passenger seat and make it a proper bucket with coverage all the way around in the back. As far as the remaining slope goes, I didn't notice any undue sliding forward. I did replace the rectangular rubber blocks under the rear of the seat, and I'm using the stock rubber bushings to attach the rear of the seat. I know I could remove both of those and lower the rear a bit more, but I do not want to increase vibration any.

Mine came in last week. I just finished a 100 mile ride today, and I can say it is a big improvement over stock. I left in place the wooden blocks that I had glued to the frame at the front to level out the stock saddle. I did not feel the Sargents Saddle was leaning too far back. What this means is it probably would have too much forward slope if installed without spacers under the front.

View attachment 24983View attachment 24984View attachment 24985

We must be related, I have an MG Cali and an NC with a Sargent saddle too:cool:

I like Sargent seats very much having had one on the last three bikes including the NC700X. They are moderately expensive compared to a full custom seat and built to last forever. My 9 year old ST1300 Sargent seat has 143,xxx miles on it and it still looks just like the first day I installed it. Last year a fellow with a new one was wondering what it would be like after it broke in. I offered up my identical bike for him to sit on while I sat on his. After about 130,000 miles use we could not tell one whit of difference in the foam firmness or seat fit between the two.

Bike-to-bike I think the forward slope complaints are very rider-specific and objective in nature. I was very comfortable with raising the front about 3/8" with the Showkey mod. IIRC I had the front raised about 3/4" with the stock seat to flatten the seating area.

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/6962-after-2-years-26-000-miles-i-cant-believe-i-did-2.html

Had a Sargent on my ST and like Dave said they last forever. I now have one on the Tenere that I use just for touring. They just fit me.
Mike

Bug,
Do you use a different seat when you ride when you're not touring? What brand of seat is that?

Yes, I use the Yamaha Low Seat for shorter rides and around town and keep it in the high position. This is the seat that stays on the bike when I'm not touring. It is a about a 350-400 mile/day seat. My stock seat has a Seat Concepts cover on it now but it is too tall for me. The Sargent is too tall for everyday use but it is the most comfortable for longer days in the saddle. If I had a longer inseam I'd keep the Sargent on the bike all of the time as I did on my ST 1300.
Mike

Back