• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Saddle bag and exhaust question

bode61

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an Aprilia Mana with the Hepco Becker racks and the Junior saddle bags (Hepco & Becker Junior II 30 Side Cases 610.033 00 01) . I really like the Hepco Becker gear. So, I ordered the Hepco Becker racks for my NC and installed them last night. I can through the Junior Bags on it but I really want the Xplorer Bags (Hepco & Becker 30L Xplorer Aluminum Saddlebag - Left Side 610.208 00 00) instead. I have a friend who brought his over and we put it on the bike. The concern I have is that the bottom of the right bag sits about 3/4 inch above the muffler. These bags are made of ABS Plastic and are pretty hardy. Do you think this is too close to the saddle bag? I thought about buying some heat shield tape and putting it on the bottom of the bag but need some advice from more experienced people.

I put my laser heat gun on the end of the muffler ( laser wouldn't read on the shiny chrome ) and it read 138 degrees.So I assume the acual muffler is about 10 degrees cooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In Fahrenheit, Celsius?
Or 138 degrees from horizontal view? :)
I suppose, it is in F, otherwise a good bacon party is waiting for us :D

In Fahrenheit, Celsius?
Or 138 degrees from horizontal view? :)
I suppose, it is in F, otherwise a good bacon party is waiting for us :D

you need to check pipe temps after a 10 mile 60 mph run, stop a check temp at this time, to get even close to running temps on the muffler. dale

I did the test after a 40 minute commute,after I pulled into to the driveway while it was still running.I had the gun in my pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

30 minute ride and a 38* F day...........measured muffler temp with a contact thermocouple:

Front of muffler can 290* F

Middle of muffler. 260*

End of muffler can 180*

Very back end of muffler. 158* Away from exhaust outlet. Surprised the cone end was that cool, exhaust does not contact the back cone of the muffler covering. Exhaust itself can very easily melt plastic while underway.

Last edited:
Back