• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

"Running in" engine on new bike!!

Uh oh!! Can.....of.....worms!!! :p

I ride mine like I do everyday. I have NEVER babied any of my bikes during the "break-in" period. That is what I do, there are many schools of thought on this so my suggestion is to do what you are comfortable with.

Ride it according to the manual.
Ride it normally.
Ride it like you stole it.
Ride it like ____ for the first _____ and then _____!

Kind of hard to argue with the owner's manual. Honda spends millions of dollars in engineering to bring a product to market, and while it's just my opinion, it's likely they know more about their product than anyone else. Hopefully HondaBikePro will offer his opinion soon, he knows his business. And on that subject, does the NC come with a special break-in oil like most new cars do?

Just got my new NC 700 s, whats the best way to "run in" the new engine and for how many miles until engine is fully "run in"? Thanks

Ride it easy. No excessive throttle. No excessive breaking or rapid gear changes.

I believe it is only a 300 mile break in period. Then at 600 miles you will
get the oil changed at the first servicing.

The NC700X is a pretty solid engine though. I doubt anything would hurt it.

I believe in my opinion my motor feels fully 'broken in' when it reaches 4500km thereabouts. That's when gear shifting feels smooth.

I go with this line of thought:

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

I have done this to the last half dozen bikes that I have owned since I researched his ideas and each one has never had any issues with excessive oil consumption, poor performance, excessive carbon buildup on top end, poor gas mileage, etc. The guy makes a very strong case for this and I subscribe wholeheartedly to the idea. YMMV.

Basically I ride a new bike at speeds that the engine feels comfortable at. No heavy acceleration No riding at low speeds in a high gear and no riding at a constant speed for long periods. Gradually building up the revs as the miles clock up.
On the W650 forum one top expert on everything suggested that the engine should be thrashed from mile #1. Guess who is still the only member of that forum who has had to have his top end rebuilt

I want to know if there's an NC700 out there anywhere in the world that hasn't whacked into the rev limiter, lol

Welcome to the forum.

Seriously if you ask such a question, you are in the group where you ride carefully til 1000km.
so I will second that.
Ride carefully, do not over rev, max 5000rpm, til you hit 1000km.
:p

I wouldn't agree with the thrash it immediately. But ride it like you would every day has never hurt. Just use the rev range and make some accelerations. It works just the same out of the box as it will many many miles from now. The lining on the cylinder walls is much different than when the "baby" it myth was created...

Last edited:
The lining on the cylinder walls is much different than when the "baby" it myth was created...

Agree........think that myth goes back to the 30-40-50s with cast rings with cast cylinder..........steel liner micro finished and chrome rings changed the game years ago........

Newest technology's is nikasil cylinder lining. Interesting to read on. Almost impossible to muck up. No need for break in. Can't find exact info on who all is using it on what models but knowing the Japanese (especially Honda) I'm sure it's on everything.

So far, after 5000km, I have not hit the red zone before.
My question to those who did is: why?

Coming off a cbr1000rr myself. When you pull out into traffic and for 43k miles you stretch first gear to an easy 60mph or so then short shift the rest of the gears it starts to become muscle memory. So mine has hit a few times for the simple fact that almost all of my motorcycles I have had have been 10k plus rpm ranges. It takes some time but you get used to finding the nc's sweet spots.

Back