• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

rolling friction key off

mtiberio

Reaction score
gjm.site90.com
Had my bike for over a year, and 7000 miles, and still learning things...

I always turn my bike off by kicking the side stand down. Then I push the bike into the garage. When I leave the house, I push it backwards into the drive way, and do a "Y" turn to get it pointed in the right direction. I noticed what I though was undue rolling friction, which I attributed to 1) Low tire? No. 2) Knobby tires? No. I finally figured it out, that my bike was in first gear, and the DCT was holding the clutch dis-engaged. I was pushing the bike against all that friction in the transmission and clutch. Before I started pushing it this morning, I turned on the key, heard the clack of the computer shifting the bike into neutral, and the bike was easy peezy to push backwards out of the garage...

The first time I oiled my chain it was hard to spin the wheel, then the second time it was easy, then the third it was hard again ... I finally figured it out.

Yes, I think it was Saturday when I was lubing my chain that it dawned on me what was happening... Same extra friction makes it tougher to get the bike on the center stand. (which if you have lowering links is tough enough)

Before I turn OFF the key, I press the button for N.

Yes, ditto for me.

If you shut it off while in gear it stays in gear until it is turned back on and cycles to neutral. I back my bike into the garage when coming home and roll it forward when parking it in my shed out on my farm, so want it in neutral.

I usually use the kill switch (sometimes in N, sometimes not) ... mainly because it's a lot more convenient than reaching between the top tree (and my mounted Garmin) to get to the key -- even though the manual says to use the key/ignition to start/stop the engine The manual says to leave the kill switch in the "on" position all the time and use the key. Do most folks use the key to stop the engine and leave the kill switch in the "on" position?

The Manual:
"Engine stop switch Should normally remain in the
RUN position.
In an emergency, switch to the OFF position to stop the engine."

careful you don't scrape the stand up pushing it forward.

Of course the side stand needs to be up when moving the bike in any direction to avoid the possibility of dumping it on the R/H side.

A few owners use the kill (emergency) switch to shut the bike off and leave the main switch on all the time? I suppose one could but I would never feel comfortable leaving the main switch on. But that's me.

Last edited:
A few owners use the kill (emergency) switch to shut the bike off and leave the main switch on all the time? I suppose one could but I would never feel comfortable leaving the main switch on. But that's me.

I turn off the key, but after I've killed the engine with the kill switch ... it's just faster/easier for me to kill the engine that way, then turn off the ignition via key to shut off the battery.

I turn off the key, but after I've killed the engine with the kill switch ... it's just faster/easier for me to kill the engine that way, then turn off the ignition via key to shut off the battery.

I edited my above post after calling it 'double duty' to hit the kill switch, then turning off the main. In my mind, what is the rush? The kill switch in the mix simply over complicates an otherwise simple procedure.
But I wonder, would there be no battery power going anywhere with the kill switch on? I doubt I'd be able to study the wiring schematic well enough to figure that out.

Put the kickstand up when walking the bike, unless you are wearing enduro boots.

Fred, The kill switch only kills the engine. The rest of the bike gets normal power. You still have to turn the key off to save your battery.

I finally figured it out, that my bike was in first gear, and the DCT was holding the clutch dis-engaged. I was pushing the bike against all that friction in the transmission and clutch. Before I started pushing it this morning, I turned on the key, heard the clack of the computer shifting the bike into neutral, and the bike was easy peezy to push backwards out of the garage...

Hmm... If you can push the bike in gear the following day this suggest that oil pressure is used not only to disengage but also to fully engage the clutches. With the engine off no oil pressure exists and any initial residual pressure in the clutch actuation circuit must have bled out by the following day. Since I got no NC, time too search again through the service manual...

Fred, The kill switch only kills the engine. The rest of the bike gets normal power. You still have to turn the key off to save your battery.

It appears the kill switch shuts off fuel via the fuel cut relay.
So yes, the solid red (battery) line from the main switch throws power in many directions and not affected by the kill switch.

That's why the kill switch is really an emergency shut off switch only. I'll use it as a backup when I'm changing oil, just to remind myself 'do not crank the engine when it has no oil in it!'.

Back