• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

DCT hiccup

Wheels

Reaction score
Visit site
9,000 miles. Riding at 55 mph, engine quit , dash lights on, coasted to a stop.
Hmmm. Trying a restart, key off then key on, the right side clutch cover did a thunk sound about six to eight times.
Neutral green light would not come on would not even do the fuel pump sound. Bike was mechanically in neutral.
Tried several times, tried pushing the bike back and forth ... in grassy area so difficult. Same symptoms.

After removing it from the tow truck, it started and worked fine.

Dealer says no fault codes recorded.

Found a post somewhere, talking about pulling up to light and rpm at 2100 and stuck in gear. No real resolution.
Some hint about the throttle.

Remembered , I had dealer install Oxford grips about a year ago. As I was riding noticed the grips were coming loose
, just before this happened the (at 55mph) I was trying to re-adjust throttle grip position. Returning from a trip, about
70 miles from home.

Will update in a few weeks.

Hmmm. Trying a restart, key off then key on, the right side clutch cover did a thunk sound about six to eight times.
Neutral green light would not come on would not even do the fuel pump sound. Bike was mechanically in neutral.
Tried several times, tried pushing the bike back and forth ... in grassy area so difficult. Same symptoms.

Found a post somewhere, talking about pulling up to light and rpm at 2100 and stuck in gear. No real resolution.

Remembered , I had dealer install Oxford grips about a year ago. As I was riding noticed the grips were coming loose
, just before this happened the (at 55mph) I was trying to re-adjust throttle grip position. Returning from a trip, about
70 miles from home.

I’m curious, if the dash did not indicate neutral, how do you know the transmission was “mechanically in neutral”? As I understand, the clutches default to a disengaged position (hence the parking brake). I’m still trying to learn all the DCT quirks.

70 miles from home.

Two things.. 1 could you have accidentally hit the emergency stop switch when fiddling with the throttle and 2 was your bike eligible or did it get the safety recall for stalling?

... I had dealer install Oxford grips about a year ago. As I was riding noticed the grips were coming loose
, just before this happened the (at 55mph) I was trying to re-adjust throttle grip position. ...
Your 2021 NC750XD already has a throttle by wire system, right?
Maybe Grip Aps should be checked for damage. It is part of the right handlebar switch assembly.
There must be some reason for the engine to quit while riding. Suspicion usually falls on accidental Engine Stop Switch opening. But it is easily noticeable. Another reason could be the sidestand switch or bank angle sensor malfunctioning. But that also rarely happens.
That DCT stuck in gear is due to the engine stalling. And, chain reaction, on the first restart attempt, the battery didn't have enough energy to power the shift motor. After some time, the battery regenerated a bit, so the start was easier.

Your 2021 NC750XD already has a throttle by wire system, right?
Maybe Grip Aps should be checked for damage. It is part of the right handlebar switch assembly.
There must be some reason for the engine to quit while riding. Suspicion usually falls on accidental Engine Stop Switch opening. But it is easily noticeable. Another reason could be the sidestand switch or bank angle sensor malfunctioning. But that also rarely happens.
That DCT stuck in gear is due to the engine stalling. And, chain reaction, on the first restart attempt, the battery didn't have enough energy to power the shift motor. After some time, the battery regenerated a bit, so the start was easier.
Oxford hot grips are fitted and these likely will be connected direct to the power source with their own controller. I don't think the NC has bank angle sensing. Battery low definitely causes shift problems.

Oxford hot grips are fitted and these likely will be connected direct to the power source with their own controller. I don't think the NC has bank angle sensing. Battery low definitely causes shift problems.
This illustration shows the bank angle sensor on a US spec NC700X. The 750 will have one, too. On the ‘22 NC750X in the USA, it’s part number:
35160-MGS-D31SENSOR ASSY., BANK ANGLE
1BB7782D-F905-49CF-B652-23980BE2EAC3.jpeg

...I don't think the NC has bank angle sensing. Battery low definitely causes shift problems.
This snip is from non-U.S. 2021 NC750XD wiring diagram.
The second fragment shows the GRIP APS module. The suggestion to check this out is a wild guess. I have no experience with this and I couldn't find an example explaining how it works. I suppose it's a form of voltage regulator like a simple potentiometer.
The problem with shift started after the engine quit. While riding the alternator provides power, so the state of charge of the battery is important only when the charging voltage is lower than the internal voltage of the battery. Principle of the charging system.

Capture.JPG

Capture 2.JPG

This illustration shows the bank angle sensor on a US spec NC700X. The 750 will have one, too. On the ‘22 NC750X in the USA, it’s part number:
35160-MGS-D31SENSOR ASSY., BANK ANGLE
My mistake. It does have a bank angle sensor. I wonder if it is linked to the CPU like the Africa Twin where the bike’s lean angle is taken into account so it doesn't change gear mid-corner in auto mode. A pity Honda don't include cruise control on the NC750. I guess they have a price point.

Yea, I had cruise on my FJR and I miss it a lot on the NC. On last weekend's trip I used a Go Cruise and it was totally unsatisfactory for me. It was ok for a very short distance (like 1/4 mile or so) on dead flat straight roads, but horrible if there was even the slightest grade. I understand they work well for others though. I took it off as soon as I got home and threw it in a baggie for the motorcycle spares drawer.

Back