• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Revised Braking Technique

I agree that the rear tire has more to do under continuous loading. But some bikes do eat fronts first for me. My k1600 being a perfect example. I almost never use the rear brake on the street but that bike is linked. Nc700x is fairly gentle on tires and I expect more than 10k out of my pr4s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Three sets of tires in 8,000 miles? Hard to fathom the idea this could actually happen. I ride the piss out of my NC. Accelerate hard, brake hard, take corners fast, and ride on some of the crappiest roads in the country. That is 4,000 miles per set of tires assuming you just put the third set on. WOW? That has to be an all-time low on this forum.

Not according to Honda's current web site....as I posted above ;-)

Sadly, a dealer is probably the worst place to get any info about this bike...they are clueless.

All NCs w/ABS have linked brakes.

From the 2017 U.S. specs:

Single front and rear disc brakes give the NC700X great stopping power. The DCT model comes with ABS brakes which are linked rear-to-front for stopping power, even under challenging conditions
That is not true and Honda should correct it but has not. Honda also says it has a three piston caliper up front, necessary for the 2012-2014 linked brakes, but a casual inspection reveals two pistons. Rut Row.

The later model ABS DCT bikes DO NOT HAVE LINKED BRAKES.

Last edited:
I've seen lots of tires that look similar due to poor tire pressure. Or running a knobby on the street ;-)

This one is NOT from low tire pressure. Normal use 1/3 gravel 2/3 road. A betterexample was ......HOnda Transalp ( US model) had weak rear drum brake and 21" front tire.....it would feather the front tire in 4000 miles as the tire blocks deform under braking.

I'm close to 6000 miles on my bike and still have the original TrailMax tires with plenty of tread on them, both front and rear. I'd guess the rear is good for another 2000 miles.
I can't imagine 3 sets in 8000 miles -- not on a NC700x.

Three sets of tires in 8,000 miles? Hard to fathom the idea this could actually happen. I ride the piss out of my NC. Accelerate hard, brake hard, take corners fast, and ride on some of the crappiest roads in the country. That is 4,000 miles per set of tires assuming you just put the third set on. WOW? That has to be an all-time low on this forum.
I had a rear tire showing cord before 4k but that was with poor braking on my part and aggressive riding, it was also a mediocre tire. I can't imagine wiping out a front tire that quickly

I agree that the rear tire has more to do under continuous loading. But some bikes do eat fronts first for me. My k1600 being a perfect example. I almost never use the rear brake on the street but that bike is linked. Nc700x is fairly gentle on tires and I expect more than 10k out of my pr4s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
With PR4's on a NC I think the least I've heard of was 16k. I'm getting around 20k miles with a set of them

That is not true and Honda should correct it but has not. Honda also says it has a three piston caliper up front, necessary for the 2012-2014 linked brakes, but a casual inspection reveals two pistons.

My 2014 has a two piston front caliper and ABS...does that mean it <doesn't> have linked brakes? I'm getting confused !

I believe the 2013 had a 3 piston caliper on the front brake. One of which was actuated by the rear brake pedal. That's just from memory from reading here.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

On my 2013 700S with linked brakes this is exactly how it works for me. I was fiddling with it when I had the front caliper off one day and thought *ahh that makes sense, always wondered how that worked*

My 2014 has a two piston front caliper and ABS...does that mean it <doesn't> have linked brakes? I'm getting confused !

Hey Rob. My 2015 is the same and yes, I believe that these two bikes do not have the linked brakes. That also agrees with my shop manual - 2012 and 2013 DCT's have the Proportional Valve (linked brakes) but the 2014 does not have that valve (non-linked brakes).
>T

Well, I'm going to call my attorney and start a class-action lawsuit....Honda told me they were linked!

Wee, Cheetem, & Howe if anyone is interested in joining ;-)

Good info in this thread but my favorite line in the whole thing was;

'Last edited by dduelin; Today at 05:46. Reason: gramer and speling '

'Wee, Cheetem, & Howe' runs a close second...

Now that is good stuff........
>T

If you want even tire wear, get a Rokon Trailbreaker. :)

Hey I got one!

The 1st gen NC have a delay valve while 2nd do not indicating to me the 1st are linked brakes and the 2nd are not.
The ABS MOD are the 'brains' of both.

I'm still going to use front only braking but my wheels don't hold pressure well and the other sets were not maintained
as I should have but am keeping these at 36/42 religiously.

Not according to Honda's current web site....as I posted above ;-)

Sadly, a dealer is probably the worst place to get any info about this bike...they are clueless.

All NCs w/ABS have linked brakes.

From the 2017 U.S. specs:

Single front and rear disc brakes give the NC700X great stopping power. The DCT model comes with ABS brakes which are linked rear-to-front for stopping power, even under challenging conditions

I must agree. I asked my dealer what was under the door at the bottom of the Frunk (the document compartment door). Dude said he thought it was the battery. He also tried to turn the bike on to show me the instrument panel by turning the key in the Frunk/Fuel door unlock. To their credit, they did sell about every major brand, but may experience does emphasize your point.

Back