• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Rev Limiter

gordonisbell

Reaction score
Visit site
What actually happens when one hits the rev limiter? I notice it's discussed here often, but, what actually occurs to the bike when you're riding? Thanks in advance!

What actually happens when one hits the rev limiter? I notice it's discussed here often, but, what actually occurs to the bike when you're riding? Thanks in advance!

It's my understanding that the spark is shut off until the revs drop below the limit. Then the spark is re-engaged until you hit the limit again. So, it's lather, rinse, repeat until you up shift or back off the throttle.

There's info on the Web about different systems if you want to search/browse.
http://www.visordown.com/forum/general/rev-limiters---how-do-they-work/22082.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rev_limiter

Last edited:
Not that it really matters .......I think it goes into fuel cut ( injectors shut off) . I say this because if the spark was off and the fuel was not there would be a dump of unburned fuel, bad for emissions and would cause unneeded heat in the CAT. It is possible both fuel and spark or off ?
I do know cars go into fuel cut both on over rev and during throttle closed decel. Easy to assume the bike would be the same.

On carburetor engine the rev limiter would be for sure spark shutting off.

Last edited:
The bike acts as if all power has been cut off and if you didn't expect it, a look of shock and surprise will appear on your face and then be quickly replaced by one of understanding and embarrassment.

You will lurch forward and then be pulled back as power is restored. You will then look around to see if anyone else witnessed you looking like a doofus and if so will try to make motions which you think may indicate to others you just did all that on purpose.

No one will be fooled. Bystanders will snicker at you.

WIKI says.............. Limiters prevent damage to an engine by interrupting the power that is distributed to the spark plugs; this prevents the engine from operating above a pre-determined RPM level known as the redline. The RPM level that results with the spark being arrested can be a constant level, or, with the proper ignition control modules, variable.

It feels like someone other than yourself suddenly applied the brakes without your knowing. +1 to what Silverhound said.

I think it's injector cut for the NC's. And for sure some designs and implementations are better/worse than others. I was lead to believe, in theory, that the new NC750 versions had a softer feel limiter, that was a little more progressive than the 700's.

I don't know why Honda fluffed it with the 700, making the limiter a "I've just run into a brick wall" very sharp cut off type, rather than the easier to deal with and much preferred less in your face two stage kind, (timing + fuel cut off) when there was no need to.

All my previous EFI Hondas, including my little 125, have a much smoother initiation to the limit, with the motor feeling like it's bogging first, not an instantaneous *bang*! Engine off! sensation.

When test riding a 2012, I hit the limiter, and it just would not go any faster. It did not feel like a wall was hit, or a sudden turn off of a switch. Maybe I didn't hit it hard enough.

The bike acts as if all power has been cut off and if you didn't expect it, a look of shock and surprise will appear on your face and then be quickly replaced by one of understanding and embarrassment.

You will lurch forward and then be pulled back as power is restored. You will then look around to see if anyone else witnessed you looking like a doofus and if so will try to make motions which you think may indicate to others you just did all that on purpose.

No one will be fooled. Bystanders will snicker at you.

sounds like fun during highway passing...

Back