• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Replacement Front Brake Caliper

speedfox_2002

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys

Ok. Since i'm getting a tad desperate in order to find a solution to the "bad"(Note this is relative) brakes on my 2012 NC700X manual(non ABS) i'm going to ask what may appear idiotic questions
to give you an idea. if i slam on fronts full to the bar almost it will NOT SKID(Unless i'm on water or ice). I have changed the brake fluid and bled the brakes. No difference. Now while the fact it wont skid is great it also means there is room for more braking power.

You may ask WHY I want this. Simple. I'm umm....a big guy....6.7" tall and almost 300 pounds. It does not stop quickly with me on it.

I know you can change to the 3 pot DUAL Linked System as beemerphile did,this is still my preferred solution, but it costs a fortune.

Braided hoses don't really make a difference.

Brake pads make minimal difference.

So here it is....
Is there another caliper from ANY bike that you know of that may fit to the NC, even if it needs an adapter plate to be made. I can machine one without a problem.
I'm looking for more "bite" so that to me means a larger pad area?

So maybe a single CB1000RR Caliper or a Caliper from a VFR etc etc etc

Thoughts on this? suicide or perhaps a valid idea?

Last edited:
I have adapted many calipers over the years including Suzuki calipers on an old BMW. It is a simple matter of holding the caliper up to the wheel and measuring the offset and fork leg mounting boss discrepancies. From there it is a drawing and a bit of CNC mill work. I chose the lazy way out and went with one that would fit. It is just nuts and bolts to make a non-spec caliper fit. You have to watch the ratio of caliper piston area to master cylinder area in order to make sure that the lever "feel" is correct and it does not bottom out on the handlebar because of increased travel with the larger piston area in the new caliper. I found the increase with the Honda replacement that I did to actually be helpful and nearly perfect. If you pick a caliper with significantly more piston area, it might be too much of a good thing and you will have to consider a larger master cylinder bore.

It is just a lot of work to do, and obviously it is important to do it well.

I just saw a used, three pot NC700X front caliper on eBay from Germany. I don't know what it would cost to get shipped to you but maybe it's worth a look.

Thanks for the feedback guys :) much appreciated. Ill see if i can perhaps get that 3 pot caliper. If not ill start the hunt looking for a compatible caliper from another bike. If anyone knows of one which might be a match please give me a shout

Back