• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Replaced wheel, hot rear rotor?

bo7o

Reaction score
Visit site
I took off rear wheel to replace bald tire (separate story, let it go waay too long)

Any I put on the PR3 myself and remounted the tire. First time for both, so I'm nervously checking everything. I noticed the rear rotor was fairly hot after a very short ride. The wheel spins fairly easily in neutral, no hint of brakes there, and I didn't see anything weird as I span. Is it something to worry about? Or did it just get hot early on as things settled back??

Thanks !!

Rob

The main thing is to be certain the caliber bracket is engaged in the slot on the swingarm so the caliper can't rotate. Several people have missed that during assembly. Make sure the axle spacers are all in the right place. Other than that, brakes got hot when used, so it could be normal.

Hi - yes the caliper seems fine.
Maybe I'll just have to do another test run and do very little braking with the rear and make sure it is cool

Edit: took her out for another ride and brakes were cool, I guess they just heat up more than I realized and I was being paranoid.

Last edited:
Even when NOT applying the brakes, the pads still lightly rub the rotors, causing a continuous bit of heat. Using the brakes just ONE time will GREATLY increase the temp, but it dissipates quickly as soon as you let off.
Try this: Just firmly rub your palms together quickly for 10 seconds and see how warm your hands get. The pressure you are exerting on your hands is inconsequential compared to the pressure your brakes apply.

It doesn't take much pedal pressure to put a lot of heat into the rear rotor.

What I do is use only front brake for a period of time before stopping the bike; the rear rotor should be relatively cool, maybe warm, but certainly not hot.
The ST13 is notorious for dragging rear rotor, (I have my own reasoning for this). Keeping the pins lubed and pistons clean usually keeps the pads off the rotor when not in use.

Last edited:
It doesn't take much pedal pressure to put a lot of heat into the rear rotor.

What I do is use only front brake for a period of time before stopping the bike; the rear rotor should be relatively cool, maybe warm, but certainly not hot.
The ST13 is notorious for dragging rear rotor, (I have my own reasoning for this). Keeping the pins lubed and pistons clean usually keeps the pads off the rotor when not in use.
Make sure the secondary master is not hanging up on your st1300, this is what normally happens, and destroys the rotor and pads. Dale

Back