• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Rear tire losing air

sandman20

Reaction score
Visit site
It looks like my bike also has the weepy rear wheel bead. My NC has been neglected a bit this summer due to other commitments and also owning multiple bikes..........went to wheel her out of the garage last weekend and the rear tire was flat as a pancake...........zero air on my gauge. Pumped it back up and carefully inspected entire tire about a million times and no nails or other foreign bodies in it. Next, checked the stem area for leaks and snugged the valve core. Checking it daily and it seems to be losing about 2-3 lbs. per day. Ordered Honda center stand today so I can safely remove the tire. Meant to do that a year ago but kept putting it off...... My dealer fixed a leaking rim on my ATV so I'm hoping to get the NC cured quickly.

Run a little soapy water around the bead/rim with a small sponge and you will probably find the leak.

I have fixed several of these by simply breaking the bead, cleaning the inside bead area of the wheel, lubing it up, and reseating it.

If nothing else works put a bottle of Ride-On in the tire, this I know will stop the leak.

Yes and no. I don't mean to argue but when I pulled a tire off that had the prescribed amount of Ride-On installed, I found Ride-On only coated the middle 3 inches of the tread area. There was absolutely no Ride-On near the side walls or the rim bead. Therefore if the bead area is where the leak is, in my opinion, Ride-on would not help.

View attachment 24187

Last edited:
Yeah, unfortunately most of that kind of cure in a bottle is very ineffective for bead leaks. Once I get the center stand mounted, I'll pull the wheel and bring it to the dealer. I usually don't monkey around with tire mounting and dismounting anymore. I let the guys with a decent tire machine do that work.

Yes and no. I don't mean to argue but when I pulled a tire off that had the prescribed amount of Ride-On installed, I found Ride-On only coated the middle 3 inches of the tread area. There was absolutely no Ride-On near the side walls or the rim bead. Therefore if the bead area is where the leak is, in my opinion, Ride-on would not help.

View attachment 24187

It did the job on mine but I made a point of slowly turning the wheel a number of times while on center stand after putting it in. Then I took it out riding slowly for a while. Doing that was apparently good enough for the Ride-On to slosh and drip around good and cover the leak without CG forces keeping it centered in the tread. The stuff isn't supposed to cure so I'd expect it to hit the spot eventually in any case! It's supposed to be ok put extra beyond the recommended in also. But as they always say: YMMV!

If this is a bead leak (both my wheels have had this issue, at different times), RideOn won't help. I know because I only had this issue _after_ I started using RideOn. My issue was a spot of rust, right under the bead, on both wheels.

Well strangely enough, it appears to have stopped losing air. I aired it up to 60 lbs. Let it sit for a few days and it was losing air but more slowly. Brought the pressure down to 42 lbs. and took it for a ride up and down the local expressway. It's been holding at 42 for a week now........maybe I got lucky and riding it help it to seat? I now have the Honda centerstand on it in case I need to remove the wheel. That's a great accessory.

It would always be on my radar and my radar is pretty congested. I would do the soapy water thing just to make sure (it may be a sloooow leak). No removal necessary and you will have peace of mind.

Back