• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Rear Shocks. List the available Brands, models, and costs

L.B.S.

Fixed Idea
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
All prices are approximates, and for the most part interchange back and forth between US and/or Canadian dollars, so higher or lower amounts can be expected. YMMV!

1) Ohlins: HO-070 S46DR1 [threaded collar spring preload, 30 position rebound damping adjust] (Hydraulic Preload adjuster available as optional extra, cost unknown) -$617.00 +/-

2) Penske: XX XXX [threaded collar spring preload, rebound damping adjust] -$650.00 +/-

3) Racetech: RT G3-S (?) [multi option preload and compression/rebound damping, ride height etc.] -$795.00-1,200.00??? +/-

4) Hyperpro: [threaded collar spring preload, rebound damping adjust] -$500.00 +/-

5) Nitron NTS Street [*threaded collar spring preload, 24 click combined rebound+compression damping adjust] -$560.00 (street is apparently not available to US Vendors yet, so higher cost reflects a purchase through UK eBay)

6) Nitron NTR Sport [*threaded collar spring preload, optional ride height adjust, 24 click combined rebound+compression damping adjust] -$515.05

7) Nitron NTR Track [*threaded collar spring preload, ride height adjust, remote or piggy back reservoir with 16 click adjustable compression damping, 24 click rebound damping adjust] -$721.81

8) Nitron NTR Race [*threaded collar spring preload, ride height adjust, remote or piggy back reservoir with both 26 click low speed and 16 click high speed+overall adjustable compression damping, 24 click rebound adjust] -$818.05

*Hydraulically adjustable spring preload is available as a separate option. All Nitron shocks: $120.00 +/-. Shipping not included. Custom spring rate choice free of charge-built to specification. Blue springs are stock, optional black colour is $25.00 extra cost.

9) Wilbers: Type 540 "Economy line" [threaded collar spring preload, 46mm piston] -$440.00 plus $42.00 shipping

10) Wilbers: Type 640 Adjustable [threaded collar spring preload, 46mm piston, 22 click compression damping] -$576.00 plus $42.00 shipping

11) Wilbers: Type 641 Adjustable [threaded collar spring preload, 46mm piston, remote reservoir with high and low speed compression damping, 22 click rebound damping adjust]. -$805.00 plus $42.00 shipping

12) YSS: Unknown

Other Brands, or approximate costs that you are aware of? Spec levels offered and resultant increases in price?

NOTE:

Not looking for unsolicited advice and/or opinions on good or bad or "worth it" or "not worth it" etc., yet. That's for another topic, for another day, and can be addressed ad nauseam elsewhere. Please do not kibitz in this info gathering thread.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Ohlins. Have used on other applications, not on NC700. Listen to those folks who have tried the shocks on their bikes. Every bike is quite different.

Can we add service intervals to the list? I'm hoping to do my suspension, but the idea of having to rebuild an Ohlins twice a year makes me want to cry.

Are you riding 40,000 miles per year? Ohlins recommends a 20,000 mile rebuild interval as I remember, but I usually go 30-35,000 between rebuilds. It seems excessive, but if you hold that interval, then the rebuild is usually only seals and oil. If you push it to 50,000 or better, then there ends up being some hard part damage. I have a set of Wilbers on my R1150R that I waited too long on, and now they are possibly shot. Of course, Alaska and the Yukon can trash a new set of shocks.

Another point about shock rebuilds, is that the kind of rider who is discerning enough to be willing to spend for the really good parts is also most likely to want to keep them working in good form and able to tell when they are getting loose. I would expect, as with cars, that the majority of bikes on the road have sacked rear shocks and the rider is unaware of it.

Are you riding 40,000 miles per year? Ohlins recommends a 20,000 mile rebuild interval as I remember, but I usually go 30-35,000 between rebuilds. It seems excessive, but if you hold that interval, then the rebuild is usually only seals and oil. If you push it to 50,000 or better, then there ends up being some hard part damage. I have a set of Wilbers on my R1150R that I waited too long on, and now they are possibly shot. Of course, Alaska and the Yukon can trash a new set of shocks.

Another point about shock rebuilds, is that the kind of rider who is discerning enough to be willing to spend for the really good parts is also most likely to want to keep them working in good form and able to tell when they are getting loose. I would expect, as with cars, that the majority of bikes on the road have sacked rear shocks and the rider is unaware of it.

Information I found says 30,000km. So yeah, not every, but some years I would have to rebuild twice (this year look like it'll be 25-30k, and I barely rode it the first few weeks while I waited for a bigger windshield and heated grips). If I stretched it to once a year it wouldn't be so bad. I could handle having my bike down for one week a year.

Last edited:
Information I found says 30,000km. So yeah, not every, but some years I would have to rebuild twice (this year look like it'll be 25-30k, and I barely rode it the first few weeks while I waited for a bigger windshield and heated grips). If I stretched it to once a year it wouldn't be so bad. I could handle having my bike down for one week a year.

I kept my old shock for such times as that, however, I have spare bikes as well. I try to keep at least one that is not dismantled.

ETA: I pulled this from the EPM Performance Imports web site regarding shock overhaul intervals. They are dealers for YSS, Hyperpro, and Wilbers. So the rebuild interval for Ohlins looks not to be low or atypical...

A rebuild service is recommended between 20 to 30,000 miles depending upon use (Touring, Race, Off Road etc) for all quality shocks. (The typical OEM shock will be worn out and need replacement before 20,000 miles.)

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks so far people :)

Hyperpro! I had completely forgotten about the purple spring dudes :rolleyes:

I knew of Yss, but for some reason didn't think them too likely (dunno why) Same with Wilbers, Fox, FastAce etc., possible but unlikely?)

Just for reference ...

What is the typical cost to "rebuild" an Ohlins ??

Thanks ...

Just for reference ...

What is the typical cost to "rebuild" an Ohlins ??

Thanks ...

About $100 plus parts. If you do it soon enough, parts are only seals and oil. There seems to be an impression building that "rebuilds" are an Ohlins thing. It really is a part of owning any high grade shock. That is why "rebuildable" is often touted. Even a trashed out shock can be rebuilt for $300 or so (vs. up to $1,000 or more to replace it). My Ohlins is the "cheap" one at around $600, but it is still a better value than a non-rebuildable $300 shock that would lose its damping just as quickly as this one will.

I'm learning some interesting (well to me, anyway, lol-small minds and all that...) little things as I poke around.

YSS actually stands for: "Your Suspension Shop"

Hyperpro has what's called a "Streetbox" kit, which is literally, a plastic box shipped to you, containing a specific to application rear shock, front fork springs, a bottle of oil, and a user manual, all configured to your model of bike.

The Honda NC700X kit is: SB-HO07-0AI and is listed at $749.00 (Australian dollars, I guess??) Sounds like a reasonable bang for buck deal, but shipping may be a killer? From here:

Hyperpro Streetbox! - All Benefits of an Improved Suspension - Your Suspension Shop Australia

These guys know how to make a nice user friendly website (for the most part, trying to find out shipping costs is a bit of a pain)

The Hyperpro.com Corporate website sucks! It's absolutely hideous to try and navigate or make sense of anything, for me.

I'm learning some interesting (well to me, anyway, lol-small minds and all that...) little things as I poke around.

YSS actually stands for: "Your Suspension Shop"

Hyperpro has what's called a "Streetbox" kit, which is literally, a plastic box shipped to you, containing a specific to application rear shock, front fork springs, a bottle of oil, and a user manual, all configured to your model of bike.

The Honda NC700X kit is: SB-HO07-0AI and is listed at $749.00 (Australian dollars, I guess??) Sounds like a reasonable bang for buck deal, but shipping may be a killer? From here:

Hyperpro Streetbox! - All Benefits of an Improved Suspension - Your Suspension Shop Australia

These guys know how to make a nice user friendly website (for the most part, trying to find out shipping costs is a bit of a pain)

The Hyperpro.com Corporate website sucks! It's absolutely hideous to try and navigate or make sense of anything, for me.

Why not deal through the US rep that I mentioned?

High performance motorcycle suspension sales and service from EPM Performance Imports

Last edited:
their price on the Hyperpro shock is $619 and the hydraulic preload adjustment option is $289 = $888

List price is $521 + 243 = $764 (euros converted to USD)

I'd go for an Ohlins or Wilbers or Hyperpro w/ HPA on my door step for under $700

Sorry, I'm a little lost here hozabah- where are you getting the list price 521.00 figure from? I can find the $619.00 which gets linked to the same Hyperpro pdf price sheet from both the sites Lee and I put up, and Via your ebay link I can find the $502.65 number (which I rounded down to 500 in my initial post) and I can find a £369.95 in this ebay ad: Hyperpro Sport Rear Shock Absorber NC700 X Crossover | eBay

but for the life of me I can't find any 521.00 or 243.00, and I don't follow the "euros converted to US dollars part either...:confused:

I'm very interested in hearing about a possible group buy on a total package. Haven't seen much besides fork springs and maybe a valve kit (can't recall) or two for the front. I had an awesome experience with Traxxion Dynamics who sold me a Penske shock for my C14 that I loved. I might give them a call and see if there is anything in the works for an improved fork to go along with a shock.

Back