• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Rear rack removal confusion

badgopher

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a 2016 DCT, bought it used with the OEM rack/bag setup.

I really hate racks. I hate top boxes too. I'm not against the bags though.

Is it possible to keep the bags and bag mounts, without the rack? The dealer installation instructions have confused the everloving days out of me, because they literally say 'refer to rack installation, install rack' on the bags.

http://powersports.honda.com/documentum/MW01/08L71-MJJ-D30.pdf

http://powersports.honda.com/documentum/MW01/08L71-MKA-A30.pdf

So does that mean to get rid of the rack I've got to ditch the entire assembly?

It's been pouring cats and dogs here all week so I haven't been able to get out into my apartment parking lot and dismantle the stuff to see.

In a perfect world, I'd like to put some grab rails back on it too (not that it came with any...)

My NC is a 2013 and I know there's some cosmetic differences but my rear rack is held on by four bolts.

35577135d21c8ac9b3e22eb4837b2ea7.jpg
39e49908ab0b5c584016ab2c809de986.jpg

See the holes without the rear rack, that's the mounting point I'm talking about

P.s. I don't like rear boxes but a rear rack can be awesome at times, I'd leave it

Last edited:
Ah, I was trying to figure out if I could remove the entire rack assembly, not just the rack plate, so I guess that was confusing. I was hoping to have it look more like stock + bags, rather than bags+rack-plate, if that makes sense.

And some racks are useful, but I find either the frunk or a simple strap across the rear, is better for my needs. Stuff on the rack seems harder to secure properly

Ah, I was trying to figure out if I could remove the entire rack assembly, not just the rack plate, so I guess that was confusing. I was hoping to have it look more like stock + bags, rather than bags+rack-plate, if that makes sense.

And some racks are useful, but I find either the frunk or a simple strap across the rear, is better for my needs. Stuff on the rack seems harder to secure properly

I have a 2016 that only has GIVI brand side racks. Not sure about the OEM racks, but it is possible to only have the SIDE racks and not use the TOP rack.

With the GIVI brand, there is an adapter for mounting without the top case rack. Not sure how the OEM racks work.

But based on the "after 2015" instructions you posted, it looks like they have a different set of grab rails for use with a top case than for owners who do not have the top case. My wife's 2016 NC700x does not have the same style grab bars that are shown in the 2nd PDF file you have linked.

Last edited:
I have a 2016 that only has GIVI brand side racks. Not sure about the OEM racks, but it is possible to only have the SIDE racks and not use the TOP rack.

With the GIVI brand, there is an adapter for mounting without the top case rack. Not sure how the OEM racks work.

But based on the "after 2015" instructions you posted, it looks like they have a different set of grab rails for use with a top case than for owners who do not have the top case. My wife's 2016 NC700x does not have the same style grab bars that are shown in the 2nd PDF file you have linked.

Yes, indeed the OEM grab rails are different from the rack bars. I got my bike without the rack and installed it myself. I have the original grab bars. Maybe your local Honda dealer has some laying around?

20181013_205307[1].jpg

Thank you so much for that picture. I now understand how all of this fits together.

I had a CB500X where the rails were much more modular, so I get that the rack rails are required.

And haha, silly person asking if a dealership would give me something for free.

And haha, silly person asking if a dealership would give me something for free.

Oh, no! I didn't mean to suggest that a dealership would give them to you for free, in fact, if they have them 'laying around' I would not expect them to charge anything less than the full retail price and then if I got them for less I would be happy.

Back