• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Rear Rack modification? - advice needed!

I've been thinking about something like this using a flat metal bar. I just need to find the bar material. Now that the weather here in Kansas is warming up, I will be hitting this project more.
Home depot, 4" or 6" L brackets, attach to the side rails (inside of rails and you can use existing bolts), just need one on each side. I wanted a little more support (but I am cheap), so I took a 6" L bracket, bolted a 4" L bracket it to make a kinda of U. I hate chrome or shiny brackets, so I wrapped the L brackets with black Vet wrap.
My Nc700x, you can see a piece of the setup on the back of the bag where the U comes up for the added support. Works great.

Last edited:
Home depot, 4" or 6" L brackets, attach to the side rails (inside of rails and you can use existing bolts), just need one on each side. I wanted a little more support (but I am cheap), so I took a 6" L bracket, bolted a 4" L bracket it to make a kinda of U. I hate chrome or shiny brackets, so I wrapped the L brackets with black Vet wrap.
My Nc700x, you can see a piece of the setup on the back of the bag where the U comes up for the added support. Works great.

This sounds promising. I can't see your bracket in this picture. Could you possibly post a close-up picture without the bags attached?

This sounds promising. I can't see your bracket in this picture. Could you possibly post a close-up picture without the bags attached?
I will have to take one. I will as soon as the weather cooperates....

Here is another picture. After making the U with the two brackets, the longest L is attached to bike, the back of the bags then sit on the bottom of the U, with the shortest L on the outside of the bag. In the pic, you can see the outside of the L towards the back of the bag.

I have seen some guys, just put the straight flat bar attached to keep the bags from sagging in. I wanted something with a little more support on the bottom since these were cheap soft bags from cycle gear.

Last edited:
Attached this metal piece to the rear rack's mounting frame. It holds the side bags pretty well straight.

Attachments

• IMG_20130815_180444_resize.jpg
    IMG_20130815_180444_resize.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 213
  • side_frame_3.jpg
    side_frame_3.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 228
Here's my fix:

I mounted a flat aluminum bar from the passenger foot peg to the rear Givi top bag mount bracket. by the way, the foot peg bracket takes an 8 mm bolt.

Now all I need to do is get some larger zip ties to attach the bags to the rack. It will only keep the honest people honest, but sometimes that's the best you can do.

fix.jpg

Last edited:
Back