• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

rear axel nut

I just adjusted my chain yesterday,,,I just used the tool kit...I never bothered to torque the axle nut up after cos I have no torque wrench.,but in thirty years of adjusting chains I have never used a torque wrench ,and never had a wheel come lose,(must,nt speak too soon) I do,nt think much to the chain adjustment marks,,,,my chinese moto is alot better to adjust....Hey Jelo I would go back to your dealer waving the axle around and ask to speak to the mech! then explain the situation!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It didn't come apart completely - Thank God, and I don't think it was loose earlier on - but somehow loosened up along the way - which as somebody else said - were it torqued 'properly', that wouldn't have happened - so somebody did do a marginal job. I'm going to take it in and talk to them, have them check things out. We'll see what happens.

You adjust the torque wrench to the final torque value before you begin. As you tighten the nut, the force required to keep turning it increases as it tightens. When the torque reaches the set value on the wrench, it's indicted by either a click, reading an analog scale, reading a digital display, a vibration, and/or a beep, depending on what kind of torque wrench you have. Then you know you have reached the specified torque value.

The torque value for the axle nut is just that: it is how tight to make the nut. That in itself has nothing to do with the chain tension.

Greg

I bought one of those torque wrenchs ($25 at Walmart). You dial in the torque value and when you've put enough torque (pressure) on the nut, the wrench makes a "click" so you know you've put on 72lbs of torque. I'm nervous about taking that one off and re-tightening it. It's not a bolt I want to have working loose by itself on the freeway at 70mph!

Back