• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Rambling thoughts on our NC700's

ricksride

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've seen some complain the bike doesn't have enough power.
I've seen some complain it's not fast enough.

I've seen some say they've never hit redline.
I've seen some say it rev's too fast.

Well, for me, I've got it figured out.
I drive a Jetta TDI. Diesel, for those that don't know what TDI means.

It doesn't have a lot of power.
It's not extremely fast. (unless you know how to drive it)
It get's great mileage. 42mpg in town & 50 on the open road.

The NC mimics my TDI in every way I can think of.

When I first rode it, I felt right at home within 10 miles. It shifts at lower RPM's, pulls easily and is fast, (if you know how) and gets great mileage.

The NC700X in my mind is the 'TDI' of motorcycles. It's not for everyone but for some, they wouldn't have anything else.

I'm keeping it!

Just my thoughts...

well, I have a tiguan 2.0 TDI with 140HP...
by no means my nc750x does not resemble this feeling I got during acceleration with my tiguan :cool:

;)

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest, that was one of the things that made me decide to buy this bike. I like its car-like engine characteristic more than sport bikes where you need to rev the crap out of them before they even start waking up. It just fits my needs :)

Some say NC has no character and is slow. Well, if their bike choice criteria was performance and thrill, I understand their point of view, from which they seem to be right.
But not everyone needs to thrill of a space craft launch and F1-like g-forces when commuting to work everyday.

I came from riding a Honda VTX 1800 which definitely has more power but it seemed to rev lower as well so the feeling on the NC really isn't that much different for me. It has just the right amount of power for me and my use. If it didn't I would have chosen a different bike. Granted I have only owned the bike for two weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, after 200 miles I must admit one thing...
Stock seat is, literally, PITA!!! I hate it, can't ride for longer than an hour without my naturally-aspired seat getting sore.
I think it is the first thing I'll replace when I get my pay in Aug.

... but I still love this bike more and more with each mile passing by :D

It's called riding the torque gents. Fully agree with the OP assessment. Add to that the protective bodywork of the Integra (if they make it available to you) and you have the best tourer this side of an ST 1300. Every time I ride it, I like it more :D

I just got mine Friday evening. I've had almost 30 motorcycle in the past 40 years. Suzuki Katanas, Bandits 1200, BMW R1100R, just a few examples. Only ridden the bike 60+ miles so far and from what I can tell it has plenty of power. Now having said that there really is no what I like to call it "ringing her out" or using the higher end of the band. But that's not how I ride anymore. I kinda just meander at moderate pace, so far me I don't understand the "not enough power". I rode a Suzuki 500 all over this land, back in the day I was just find.

I also think that the bike has plenty of power. My other bike, a Zero SR, is way quicker than my NC and yet when I get on the NC it doesn't feel slow at all. I find that with the DCT the twist 'n go capability allows you to jump off the line pretty darn quickly and I have out-accelerated quicker motorcycles at stop lights because the automatic clutch allows you to just let 'er rip - every launch is perfect. As far as the low-revving engine that has to be short shifted compared to other bikes, well, for me the DCT renders that meaningless. I have only bounced off the rev limiter one time in manual mode and that was just to see what it would feel like. It is true that high-end power is a bit lacking compared to other bikes but with a quick downshift or two I have always had plenty of passing power. I must admit that is the area where the Zero just blows away the NC, and most other bikes as well, because all I have to do is THINK about getting around someone and I am going 20mph faster in the blink of an eye. I need to remind myself of that on the freeway when I go to pass someone on the NC because it requires a bit more thought - but it gets the job done just fine. I am also a very light rider (150 lbs.) and that helps my acceleration. Speaking of the freeway, that is where I prefer the NC over the Zero. I find the NC to be a great highway cruiser - rock solid, smooth and comfortable. I just love everyhing about the NC and it is plenty fast enough for me. That being said, I still wish that Honda would sell the 750 here - I wouldn't turn down a little more power.:)

more ramgling...

I wanted something that was engineered....thoughtfully. Ever since reading Zen and the Art... as a kid, I wanted to go on long rides on a BMW.
When I saw the NC.... I thought... this is something different. Here is a low rev bike that cares more about the long haul than what it looks like or how well it screams down the blvd. through traffic.

I would have liked a shaft drive, but i'm happy with a drive train I can service entirely by myself.

The power is just fine for me. I spend 99% of my time on interstates, and the other 1% on dirt roads, so the NC is perfect for that split.

I like that it's easy to service. The engine is right there, easy to get to, unlike many bikes I see.
For me, it's a great project bike, and I've spent a lot of time engineering different things to make them work better.... I really enjoy that.

I suppose the best compliment I can give is that I would buy the same model again... should I ever need to.

Last edited:
The ultimate street fighter

Many people, including journalists and mc manufacturers, view motorcycles as a sport you enjoy when you are not driving your car. Like on the weekend when it's sunny out. Well, there are many, such as myself, that see motorcycles as a viable ALTERNATIVE to cars and need their mc to offer many of the same features a practical car would, such as economy, comfort and the ability to carry a passenger and gear, such as groceries, beer, tools, books, clothing, etc. It's here that the NC700X excels, given the right outfitting of cases. It offers a practical platform for those who prefer to ride a motorcycle to a car or for those who want to have more fun getting from A to B any day of the week. Good brakes, ergonomics, suspension, great handling and low operating costs.

Those that feel let down by the NC are wanting it to perform like a sportsbike, and seen from that perspective, it falls WAY short. But, if you are looking for a fun and practical alternative to the car, it's awesome.

One last thing: some say the NC700X is a bike for beginners because of it's budget parts and inferior performance, but I really think this bike is best appreciated by those who have been riding for a while and want a comfortable bike that offers greater refinement and predictability that many of the high-revving high HP monsters that are so temperamental and uncomfortable. A bike that is happy riding slowly as well as at highway speeds is very admirable in my book.

I think the NC is a high mileage bike,capable of reaching 100,000 miles.
the engine is so low revving and well engineered.
strat tuner has done over 60,000 miles with just a normal maintenance.
the nc is a do it all bike but not good at one thing .
as far as I'm concern any bike that is capable of reaching a 100 mph is a fast bike.

(...)
as far as I'm concern any bike that is capable of reaching a 100 mph is a fast bike.

I second that! The only thing I want to add: even if bikes can get to higher speeds, I know no roads where they can be legally driven this fast. And what use is 150HP+ if you can't use it 99,99% of the time? It's useless. If someone buys a bike that only can show its claw on a track once a year, and then its potential isn't used in daily commute, it's a wrong bike for the purpose. Just MHO ;)

I try to use my NCX as a daily driver when possible and love it!

If I feel the need for speed I can drive my Dodge Challenger. Guess I suffer from a split personality.

Back