• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

questions on a potential NC700X purchase

mreagan

Reaction score
Visit site
New to the forum and have a few questions on the NC700 I'm hoping a few of you experienced owners could help with. I currently have Kawasaki ER-6n that is my sunny day commuter. At 6’2” I get a little cramped after 30 minutes. Other than that I love the bike (low center of gravity, tons of low end torque). So the dealership has a versys and a NC700 I’m test driving this Saturday. I also have a triumph trophy that I’m going to sell as I think it’s too top heavy for me, and I don’t ride it anymore (PM me if interested on a deal):rolleyes:

So my questions is a ‘12 NC700X (not the DCT) with 5k miles worth about $5200 USD with no farkles?
Any large riders 6’2” ish (200lbs) find the stock seat and riding position comfortable?
Any known mechanical/design issues with the bike?
Lastly and off the subject a little, anyone ride the Versys (I’m sure I’m not the only one comparing the two) and does it feel top heavy? Large riders to comment on the riding position?

Anyway, thanks all for the assistance.

Matt

Last edited:
I'm 6'2.

The seat is terrible and needs modification or replacement. A simple mod to reduce the slope has been enough for many.

I have lowering pegs from Twisted Throttle to gain an inch and 2" Rox risers on the handle bars.

Also have highway pegs for occasional change in position for longer rides. Very helpful.

I'm 6' 5" and as most on this forum do, I find the seat to be uncomfortable, with the rider being 'tilted' forward into the tank or frunk area. I also did the simple seat mod found on this forum and also added highway pegs. The Kawasaki is a nice machine (by reputation) but I have no personal experience with it.

The 700X, whether DCT or non, is a very 'flickable' bike. With its low-mounted parallel twin, the CG is very low on this bike. There is a ton of low-end torque, but the bike retains sufficient acceleration in its high end to get you out of trouble.

Last edited:
I'm 6' 2'' and my last bike was a Versys. I did find it too cramped and I fitted lowered footpegs which really helped.

However, i didn't like the Versys, mainly because of it's low speed fuelling - it was very difficult to ride smoothly unless you were high up the rev range. As I mainly used it for commuting, I was rarely in it's power band. The gear change was also very clunky and firm and difficult to get into neutral. Oh yeah, its suspension was rubbish, far too hard, and the engine was too vibey, making the mirrors useless at some speeds.

The NC is much better all round except for the seat - not wide enough for my butt :p. I've bought a sheepskin pad which has helped. I also used the lowered footpegs off the Versys and that has been the best mod I've done, after the bigger screen. The original pegs were too far back and gave me cramp in the groin area :eek:

Last edited:
We are all different even if physically near the same. I'm 6' 2" and find the totally stock machine OK, and don't plan any changes after 2 years of ownership. I'm the weird one here and like "naked" motorcycles and have taken the stock windshield off and replaced it with a small "fly" shield that barely covers the speedometer.

As far as the value of the 2012 NC700X. The dealer probably gave about $4500 +/- on trade-in. In my opinion this sure doesn't reflect on how good these machines are. Every time I think about trading for a different machine I find I will be giving up a lot of things with the NC. I ride with fellow BMW 1200 GS, owners which cost them 3 times what I paid for the NC, and it's only when we get into tripple digit speed that they begin to slowly pull away from me, and personally a lot of that is by my choice to not want to ride that way any more. So if you like owner friendly maintenance, excellent built quality, even though it is budget built, you can enjoy the NC700 and really smile at the fill-ups. I was also surprised at how well the 670 cc twins does 2-up.

Art

Last edited:
Thanks, which footpegs did you use?

I used the Kuryakan Iso-pegs on mine. I used two coats of self-etching gray primer amd then two coats of textured Rustoleum paint to cover the chrome. An occasional touch-up keeps them looking good.

Thanks all! What are the dimensions of the OEM saddlebags? I'd like to see if my 16"x13"x4" laptop case will fit in. Thanks again!

Matt

If I have time I'll go measure at lunch but I just measured my laptop here at work and the 13" tall portion might be a problem. The OEM saddle bags narrow toward the top and they also get shallower (is that how you spell it). They are not squared off like others. Just guessing I'd say it may not fit.

I used the Kuryakan Iso-pegs on mine. I used two coats of self-etching gray primer amd then two coats of textured Rustoleum paint to cover the chrome. An occasional touch-up keeps them looking good.

How did we keep our bikes looking good before "Textured Rustoleum". The content of my skid plate has to contain more textured rustoleum than metal.

you do know that Honda is selling new 1012 nc 700 s for $4999. just got my girlfriend one yesterday. out the door price was about 5600

wrecked'em where? would love a good deal like that. I live in Virginia and found a fully farkled '12 NC700x w/1,100 miles for 5,600. top case, saddle bags, wind deflectors, OEM tall windscreen and crash bars included. thoughts?

call all your local dealers. the web sites don't show them. the bike you are looking at sounds like a great deal also. the promotion is Honda bonus bucks.
read my post in the new members section

Base price on my new '12 x was 5700 before farkles. I'd say that one w/ 1100 miles and all the goodies for $5600 sound like a much better deal than the new one w/ no options.

I thought that I got a really solid deal on mine when I got a 2012 nc700x with 49 miles for ~$5500, $6000 with tax, title and plates. That said I really regret it now that I have seen bikes with a couple thousand miles and full luggage for a couple hundred more. I'm now stuck spending thousands to outfit my bike for the cost of some patience and a couple thousand miles.

Back