• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question for MadStad users, please.

NCer

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello, Folks!
I am considering the purchase of the MadStad and thinking of the size I need to get...
I am 5'11'' with 32" in-seam.
Any suggestions, please?

Also, I can not find on their Website the spec of the up-down adjustment range....????

Any considerations, pros / cons are much appreciated.

I am currently using a Puig screen with a Puig deflector mounted in top. Still getting quite a bit of buffet after trying all the possible positions and angles.

TIA!

Ride safe!

if you're 5' 11', get at least a 20" screen. When you raise the screen high, if the screen is not long enough you'll get a lot of air coming underneath it. You may want to get a big screen but have it drilled higher so the bottom can go lower, if that makes any sense.

Talk to Mark at Madstad personally and he can help you out. I think if he recommends a screen length and it doesn't work out for you, he'll swap it at no charge.

I'm 5'9" and have the 20" screen. It works well for me. It looks like there is between 3-4 inches of vertical adjustment. Presently I have mine up about 1''. Also, you can adjust the angle of the screen which allows for even more versatility. Including the stock screen, the Madstad is my 4th wind screen for the NC. I started with a Skidmarx, moved to the CalSci Sport and ended with the Madstad. I'm staying with it.

Sounds like you could be a body double for me, here's what I did...

I ordered the 20" 'Sport' screen and Robo Brackets. Set at the recommended angle/height it was good to about 55mph and then I would get pretty bad buffeting at the top of my helmet. Throw in a stiff headwind and it was miserable. If I moved forward in the seat and leaned towards the screen, the buffeting was reduced. The fix was to slide the screen all the way down and raked back, which solved the buffeting, but provided no more protection than the Givi.

I spoke to Mark at Madstad (very nice) and decided to swap the 20" 'Sport' for the 22" 'Adventure'. Better, but only very slightly.

I messed around with every conceivable position of the thing for two months (I got good at adjusting it on the fly with the throttle locked.... not recommended). All the way up, the buffeting was gone from the top of my helmet (Shoei Qwest), but air would swoop in below the screen and the mounting plate and create buffeting and noise at the base of my helmet. All the way down, I could eliminate the buffeting but the wind hit me in the helmet, just like with my Givi and was just as noisy. Everywhere in between was just a compromise of one of the two, but always bobble-head inducing (for me).

I thought about maybe fabricating 'wings' like the F800 and Tiger 800 have options for, but if it still didn't work I'd be stuck with a very pricey system I couldn't return after modifying it. I think part of the problem for me was how much further forward the screen sits with the brackets. Couple that with the 2" Rox risers I have and my head was probably 4-5" (depending on rake) further behind a comparable sized screen with no brackets like the CalSci. I loved my CalSci when it wasn't cracked, and the Adventure MadStad was pretty darn close to the same size... it was really frustrating not being able to get it adjusted into a good position.

In the end, I returned the whole unit and got a refund from MadStad. They were very easy to deal with and nice about the whole ordeal. I felt like I must be doing something wrong since almost everyone on this board loves it, but it just didn't work for me at all. Maybe I'm just not a tall windscreen guy. I like the idea in theory, but I can't stand buffeting. The Givi I'm using now isn't the quietest thing in the world, but it's at least clean air.

YMMV!

trey

Trey,
thank you so much for an excellent write up! I also ordered 20", I also have the same risers, so I expect the result to be the same.... BUT! I have to try :)
I am using a Corbin seat which may or may not make the difference. I also went for it trusting the good write ups on the forum.
So..... we'll see!
Thanks again!

Sounds like you could be a body double for me, here's what I did...

I ordered the 20" 'Sport' screen and Robo Brackets. Set at the recommended angle/height it was good to about 55mph and then I would get pretty bad buffeting at the top of my helmet. Throw in a stiff headwind and it was miserable. If I moved forward in the seat and leaned towards the screen, the buffeting was reduced. The fix was to slide the screen all the way down and raked back, which solved the buffeting, but provided no more protection than the Givi.

I spoke to Mark at Madstad (very nice) and decided to swap the 20" 'Sport' for the 22" 'Adventure'. Better, but only very slightly.

I messed around with every conceivable position of the thing for two months (I got good at adjusting it on the fly with the throttle locked.... not recommended). All the way up, the buffeting was gone from the top of my helmet (Shoei Qwest), but air would swoop in below the screen and the mounting plate and create buffeting and noise at the base of my helmet. All the way down, I could eliminate the buffeting but the wind hit me in the helmet, just like with my Givi and was just as noisy. Everywhere in between was just a compromise of one of the two, but always bobble-head inducing (for me).

I thought about maybe fabricating 'wings' like the F800 and Tiger 800 have options for, but if it still didn't work I'd be stuck with a very pricey system I couldn't return after modifying it. I think part of the problem for me was how much further forward the screen sits with the brackets. Couple that with the 2" Rox risers I have and my head was probably 4-5" (depending on rake) further behind a comparable sized screen with no brackets like the CalSci. I loved my CalSci when it wasn't cracked, and the Adventure MadStad was pretty darn close to the same size... it was really frustrating not being able to get it adjusted into a good position.

In the end, I returned the whole unit and got a refund from MadStad. They were very easy to deal with and nice about the whole ordeal. I felt like I must be doing something wrong since almost everyone on this board loves it, but it just didn't work for me at all. Maybe I'm just not a tall windscreen guy. I like the idea in theory, but I can't stand buffeting. The Givi I'm using now isn't the quietest thing in the world, but it's at least clean air.

YMMV!

trey

what is the diff between the adventure and sport screen?

anyone knows?

what is the diff between the adventure and sport screen?

Windshields

The shape at the bottom is a little different. I thought the extra width of the 'Adventure' might help with air coming in underneath.

Trey,
thank you so much for an excellent write up! I also ordered 20", I also have the same risers, so I expect the result to be the same.... BUT! I have to try :)
I am using a Corbin seat which may or may not make the difference. I also went for it trusting the good write ups on the forum.
So..... we'll see!
Thanks again!

Well don't take my word for it. I'm obviously in the minority here. I'm curious how you'll like it. I've only run across one or two other people who couldn't get it adjusted to suit them, so hopefully you'll find success with it!

Good news is, if you don't like it, you're only out shipping costs.

trey

just ordered my Madstad, thanks for the information guys. I'm 6', but only 29" inseam - monkey genes are strong in me.
I got the 22", sport (adventure did not seem to be available) in the medium grey (looks like it might be nice with the standard grey bike)
I'll give an update when I get it!

i also been experiencing withh my madstad, am 5"6 but long torso. just for everyone info the 18 inch when mounted is the same height as the oem tall.
raising the shield eliminate the buffeting at the top ut creates it at the bottom.

Mark at madtad promise to created a customs size once i decide. am gonna add a few inches to the bottom and few to the top

I like my Madstad too, it held up well with my spills at WABDR, when I bought mine I just sent them my info and they fixed me up.

Summary: I'm 6' with 29" inseam, I got the 22" madstad (middle grey), it works great, but if I were to do it over, I would probably get the 20".

finally installed the madstad after my vacation (sorry for delay posting back here):
so far so good. My head is in a nice cocoon - if I move about 3-4 inches up or left or right the wind noise dramatically increases.
The shield does not block my view of the road, except for the immediate road in front of the bike (the part I've never to look at anyway!)

it did take a little getting used to. So far, I've only had the shield in it's lowest position. I think I probably could have gotten away with the 20" (I got the 22"). But since it's working well, I decided to leave it alone.
I did have to adjust the mirror stems to prevent collision with the shield. Even then I cannot tilt all the way back without colliding with the steering locked hard left or right, which I do enough of in parking lots etc.

I'll post a pic if anyone wants, but it seems there's plenty of pics out there.

bo7o,
It's a lot easier to cut a windshield down shorter than to try to make it taller. You did the right thing.

I am 5'9" and 30" inseam and originally ordered the 20" sport screen. Problem I had that with it adjusted all the way down the top edge of screen was in middle of my line of sight. So I called em and they sent me the 18". charged me 130 for it but will reimburse that when they get the original back so it only cost me shipping and the 18" seems perfect to me with it all the way down.

It seemed much better riding on the highway and my motor seems to be louder now so it would seem it is much quieter behind the new screen. It also gave me a place to mount my new dashcam, right to the screen just above the base plate and the initial ride test with that showed some very good video. Will be interesting to see how it is in rain, but with 5800 miles on bike I havent really rode in the rain yet.

Back