• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Push Rivets

the Ferret

Reaction score
Visit site
The 2021 uses push rivets to hold on the battery box cover. When removing the cover today I pushed the center out of one and it fell into the recesses of the bike, never to be seen again.

Warning to anyone else removing that lid, press gently on the middle of the pin lol

Last edited:
I hear ya, I have lost a couple of nuts while working on the GPS mount disappear into the abyss. By the time I found them, I could have just taken all the body panels off. Might have been quicker.
Now when working around the handle bars I use a towel to catch any nuts or bolts from getting sucked into the black hole.

The 2021 uses push rivets to hold on the battery box cover. When removing the cover today I pushed the center out of one and it fell into the recesses of the bike, never to be seen again.

Warning to anyone else removing that lid, press gently on the middle of the pin lol
Happened to me, to.
As Ferret says, push slowly and gently until it releases.

Funny related story. About a month ago I installed McCruise control on my VFR which requires a LOT of dismantling and also backing out individual wires from several electrical plugs. In order to get the wires out you need to pry out a tiny “retainer clip” out of the wire harness plug. Well you know where this is going…… While prying out the clip with a tiny pic, it popped out, hit the gas tank and went straight into the engine.

I could see it with a light but couldn’t get to it and knew there was no chance of buying one locally so now what….. It was plastic and tiny….so my magnet thing wouldn’t get it….

To shorten this long story, ….about an additional hour and a half of disassembly and adult language was necessary to get to a point I could finally retrieve it with my longest pair of needle nose pliers while my wife held the light for me.

This was undoubtedly the most difficult thing about the install. So in the word of the great mechanic @the Ferret ”press gently on the middle of the pin! LOL

Back