• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Problem with inserting key into ignition lock

Hey mates,

Great news! I honestly thought the problem was systemic. I called American Honda in Torrance to complain (thanks Honda). Then I called the dealer in Hayward and talked to the service department. He suggested I use some Motorex Off Road Fully Synthetic Chain Lube and work the key in and out, cleaning it off on a rag. I did that and it worked. The service guy told me that's what he does to maintain his bike. I went back to the locksmith and shared what I learned with him and bought back the key he sold me on Saturday which works again!!!! I hope this might help you too. Cheers.

Had that problem, took a closer look and the key was slightly bent.

Might have been in trouser pocket or something else.

Using the spare key now with no problem for a year now

Had that problem, took a closer look and the key was slightly bent.

As I mentioned before, my nephew twisted his key and the lock would not function correctly because of it. These newer style of locks that Honda uses now are quite picky on the shape of the key.

I've many Hondas from the 70's and 80's that did not really care about the shape of the key, as long as the grooves were present. I had a 1975 GL1000 that you could put the key out after the ignition switch was turned on, this is not normal for you all that do not know. The switch would lock normally when out into the "OFF" position.

These new locks are like a "DIVA", "I want it my way or not at all!!!". :confused:

Some Honda keys are really poor quality material and can bend easily - check the key carefully. I have had the same problem on a few Honda's. I now use graphite powder to keep it lubricated.

I had the same problem when I purchased the bike, sprayed my key with WD40 chain wax and the issue went away

I have the same problem Took it to dealer who said the keys are cheap and weak - prone to bending. They sent me to locksmith who made keys out of stainless steel. Problem solved for me. Also - using spray graphite is a good idea.

Just a suggestion that blew my mind when I recently had problems with a padlock. I was standing there with a tube of chapstick in my hand and I rubbed the key in the tube and voila! Went in and opened like silk. Really. Moved on to my NC and it worked there as well. Super simple and effective. It was cherry.....in case that makes a difference.

I just brought home a 213 mile 2015 NC700X from the dealer. Last night about 8:30 thought I'd go for a ride. Ignition switch wont move. Dealers closed today, so off it goes tomorrow. Just glad this didn't happen on the road.

I just brought home a 213 mile 2015 NC700X from the dealer. Last night about 8:30 thought I'd go for a ride. Ignition switch wont move. Dealers closed today, so off it goes tomorrow. Just glad this didn't happen on the road.

Try moving the handle bars slightly right and/or left. Mine does the same thing. When I do that it turns. Good luck.

I'm shooting Dupont Teflon Shain-Saver in my frunk/gas lock and if that helps I'll do it in my ignition.

Lock mechanisms, particularly lock cylinders, have small parts that will get gummed up from viscous lubricants. This is why the traditional lubricant for lockss is powered graphite. Spray silicone usually works well, because after the propellants evaporate a thin film is left behind.

Howdy from Texas. Put a little WD40 into the ignition hole. Take the key and push it all the way in down to the bottom. Then pull the key upward with out removing the key. You will feel an indent spot, that is where you want to turn the key on at. Good luck....

Graphite is not so good for vehicles because of the humidity / rain... It may turn to a sticky sludge...

Dow Corning suggested me Molykote Omnigliss spray, a water resistant low viscosity mineral oil, with solid lubricants, corrosion inhibitors and a stabilizer... It's under pressure so it can lubricate every part of the lock.

As I can see it's not available in U.S. but I'm sure they have an equivalent product for U.S.

Lock mechanisms, particularly lock cylinders, have small parts that will get gummed up from viscous lubricants. This is why the traditional lubricant for lockss is powered graphite. Spray silicone usually works well, because after the propellants evaporate a thin film is left behind.

Dupont Teflon Chain-Saver is not like various other chain waxes, say Maxima Gold or whatever. It's actually a lot like silicon sprays (which some actually use for chains, as well).

Last edited by a moderator:
My questions is the key in the lock position? To get it out move the bars, press the key down and rotate. Hope there is a happy ending :)

Back