• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Key/ignition problems

Nolanpearson56

Reaction score
Visit site
This is my first bike I am 17 and I bought a 2014 honda nc700x and so far I'm loving it my only few concerns are with they keys. To start off when I got the honda the keys had been bent a little by the previous owner and they were hard to get in/out of the ignition and turn the key on so I bent them back and figured all was good until I was riding down the road and it only happens sometimes but the dash will flicker and today I went to start it and it wouldn't start until I turned the key off and back on, I only have 15k miles and I know these bikes can go for 100k or more so I think it's the old owner user error but any help is appreciated

Ignition switches go bad. Maybe it needs a new one.

You may also want to check the integrity of the electrical connections to the battery, and the overall health of the battery. The instrument panel seems to be sensitive to low voltage and seems to be the first component to behave oddly or cause trouble codes when the voltage is low.

Congrats on the bike purchase! I hope it brings you many smiles.

Reactions: MZ5
I had a new key cut at a locksmith to preserve my original key that was bending.

My thoughts would be to rule out other things before the ignition. I would check the battery connections and battery first. Then explore the connections to the instrument panel next.

I had a new key cut at a locksmith to preserve my original key that was bending.

My thoughts would be to rule out other things before the ignition. I would check the battery connections and battery first. Then explore the connections to the instrument panel next.
Good point made here. Get a backup key made. I believe the blank is Ilco HD109, and on 2014 US models, duplicating the key is fairly simple and inexpensive.

This is my first bike I am 17 and I bought a 2014 honda nc700x and so far I'm loving it my only few concerns are with they keys. To start off when I got the honda the keys had been bent a little by the previous owner and they were hard to get in/out of the ignition and turn the key on so I bent them back and figured all was good until I was riding down the road and it only happens sometimes but the dash will flicker and today I went to start it and it wouldn't start until I turned the key off and back on, I only have 15k miles and I know these bikes can go for 100k or more so I think it's the old owner user error but any help is appreciated
From what I've read, loose battery terminals are a common cause for all sorts of weird electrical issues, especially with the meter and starter.

agreed with getting some spares made -- I had 5 spares made when I got my 2015 DCT new (yes, paranoid overkill, but I used 1 for the frunk key mod, one to hide on the bike, and then several spares). Also good advice on checking battery terminals.

My OEM key bent after much use a bit as well. At one point the key lock/ignition jammed and I could not unlock the handlebars. I worked some DeOxit in the lock to clean any gunk, and then some Aero Kroil Lubricant (Kroil) and it freed up (greatest lubricant on earth -- do NOT use powdered graphite or you'll have a gooey mess and jam things further).

Back