• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Premature chain wear ???

Hello ALL !!!
Have been pretty busy, without much time to chime in here on the forum…

Thought I'd put my 2 cents on the chain wear issue, since I just had to replace mine:

Contrary to popular belief, my chain outlasted most every other high end, super-price chain on the market. Never gave me any issues til recently, and replaced it at just over 18,ooo MILES !!! (not well maintained)

And both sprockets still look new…

I ride HARD…. A LOT of fast city driving and FAST FREEWAY RUNNIN'. I'm Tellin' you, I beat this thing up…(Life of a full-time working student 100+ miles/day)

Last edited:
That is good to know it lasted that long,I hope I get that many miles.good to see you back jay.how is the paint holding up?

My chain has made it to 10000 miles but needs to be replaced. Only thing that bugs me is the last time I replaced a chain myself the master link failed on me. I'm going to say it was a installers error but that's still in the back of my mind. I'd rather have the rivet master link over the clip for many reasons but the clip link I'm less likely to screw up the install.

I do think I know where I went wrong the last time though. I'll probably just order an extra rivet master link just in case I screw up the first time and a clip link in case I get mad at the first two... or if it happens to fail while away from home again.

I have about 15000 Kms on my DID oring chain currently. I think in that distance I have adjusted it twice and it continues to look good. However it is the front sprocket that will eventually force the change when ever that comes about. I think 18000 Miles is a good result on a chain. However the secret of long life is meticulous maintenance. It is sometimes messy but worth it. I use a chain oiler (Tutoro ) and recommend that to anyone . I will be keeping a close eye on the chain slider though. It seems to wear rather quickly which is surprising.

I think 18000 Miles is a good result on a chain. However the secret of long life is meticulous maintenance. It is sometimes messy but worth it.
I am the worst at chain maintenece…lol

In 18,000 miles, I cleaned the chain, MAYBE, 8-9 times…lol (and I think 5 of those times were when it was serviced)
I think I just got lucky….

I am getting better though… I recently purchased a rear lift, and a grunge brush….so I can clean the chain easier…lol

Rolling it accross the driveway and using wd40, a rag, and a toothbrush was just a big PITA….lol

I can do it in a couple minutes now…

Last edited:
That is good to know it lasted that long,I hope I get that many miles.good to see you back jay.how is the paint holding up?

Thanks…
The plastidip is good, for the most part. I have been thinking about redoing it.. Good thing is it will only cost about $90 do make it look brand new again. I do like 20 coats….

The only place it rubbed off some so far was on the passenger handle grip things… and only because my girl's jeans rub on those handle grips….. THe rest is great, except little places I scratched it over time with various things… but at least my factory paint still looks brand new, and its just the plasti-dip that got scuffed or scratched….

All-in-all, the plasti dip was an awesome choice, and I will redo it sometime soon.

Got 50k+ miles out of the OEM chain on my Bandit 1250 (2x+ the HP, heavier, and ridden harder as well), but noticed a few frozen links and red dust last night cleaning the NC's chain at 16k miles. I've treated it exactly the same as I did the Bandit... oh well. Seems just about everyone is having to replace between 15-20k.

Funny this thread got bumped today. I just ordered a new chain and sprocket set this afternoon. Right at 19k miles, which is disappointing but I guess not horrible. Could probably squeeze a few more thousand out of it, but every other link or so at this point has red dust on it, and while none of the links have completely seized up, there are plenty of tight/sticky ones.

Also noticed my rear PR3 is pretty much toast... expensive afternoon :eek:

trey

Next sprockets I get will be the sidewinder titanium II. THey are expensive, but guaranteed for life!! If they are the last sprockets I have to buy for this bike, I'll kick in the extra dough…

And it sounds cool to have titanium sprockets…lol

sidewindersprockets.com

they don't have our bike listed, but I have contacted the company, and they said they have them (or they will make them). either way, they are available for the NC

Next sprockets I get will be the sidewinder titanium II. THey are expensive, but guaranteed for life!! If they are the last sprockets I have to buy for this bike, I'll kick in the extra dough…

And it sounds cool to have titanium sprockets…lol

sidewindersprockets.com

they don't have our bike listed, but I have contacted the company, and they said they have them (or they will make them). either way, they are available for the NC

You may want to do a little research on the company first. When I was looking for a chain/sprockets set, I started reading the reviews (Google). Good luck!

You may want to do a little research on the company first. When I was looking for a chain/sprockets set, I started reading the reviews (Google). Good luck!

I have. I have found a lot of positive stuff in other forums. There are more complainants in random review web pages. But it is usually people with bad experience or bad attitudes that find the need to leave reviews on more public review pages. Im on the fence. For the most part, all i read from users in forums are good reviews.

Do you have any experience with these?
I will definitely do more research on their latest 'Titanium II' sprockets before I buy...

I have. I have found a lot of positive stuff in other forums. There are more complainants in random review web pages. But it is usually people with bad experience or bad attitudes that find the need to leave reviews on more public review pages. Im on the fence. For the most part, all i read from users in forums are good reviews.

Do you have any experience with these?
I will definitely do more research on their latest 'Titanium II' sprockets before I buy...

No, I just started reading the reviews when I needed a chain sprocket set. When I started reading how poor some of the customer service complaints were, I decided against them since the price was so high compared to the other options.
If you go with the Sidewinder set, I will keep up with your reviews. Good luck!
If you go with them, I'l

When I pick up my new NC700X on Saturday, the first thing I'll install will be a chain oiler. They really do work, and I have found that a well sorted chain oiler not only makes the chain last a LOT longer, it saves a lot of trouble and it is less messy than other methods.

And before people start telling that I'm being silly, that chain oilers are a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, and that XYZ chain care regimen is easy and perfect, let me note that I have put a lot of miles on a lot of chains, tried a lot of things, and replaced a lot of chains and sprockets. I am basing my decisions on first hand experience. :)

And before people start telling that I'm being silly, that chain oilers are a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, and that XYZ chain care regimen is easy and perfect, let me note that I have put a lot of miles on a lot of chains, tried a lot of things, and replaced a lot of chains and sprockets. I am basing my decisions on first hand experience. :)

You are not being silly at all :)

But what, say, if I have happened to spend more years riding and put more miles on bikes than you have, and my first hand experience isn't this? Would you infer *I* am being silly? :p

IMHO For purely street riding, yes, a properly sorted chain oiler can do wonders! Best would really be an oil bath enclosed style.

I am pretty happy with my chain wax method over the past 22 years though. Very muddy and dusty off road conditions have not been my friends over the years with any kind of oil + chain combo. ;)

Some people hate chain wax, others hate gear oil. Many love both of those options. A large crowd loves their auto oilers, others have had mixed results. Teflon lube, wax, motor oil, wd-40, gear oil, no oil.

For every way, there's someone out there that totally loves their method and type of system, and claims many perfectly reasonable criteria to "prove" their rationale.

Last edited:
Other people should go by their own firsthand experience. I know nothing about dirt biking except that I don't want to do it on a 500 lb machine with street tires. :)

Other people should go by their own firsthand experience. I know nothing about dirt biking except that I don't want to do it on a 500 lb machine with street tires. :)

A great thing about tires, they are changeable to suit. :)

TKC80.jpg

I think my NC is closer to 650 lbs loaded up, but my buddy's Super Tenere? oof! Now that thing is heavy...

When I pick up my new NC700X on Saturday, the first thing I'll install will be a chain oiler. They really do work, and I have found that a well sorted chain oiler not only makes the chain last a LOT longer, it saves a lot of trouble and it is less messy than other methods.

I use a Tutoro oiler. Which oiler will you install?

I remember back way back when!! BSA use to do a optional chaincase..Honda could make a few friends by offering the same..This is just the kind of bike where a case would really work well.Fitted with a chain oiler a chain should last over 30,000 miles...In my eyes they do not look so bad,,but I know most riders do not like the look,,regards

Back