• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Powering Up

Good job, looks professional! And thanks for sharing the process to those doing an install like this. Also looks like a great opportunity to chill out, have a beer and clip a stogie!

Nice work Cyclerosis...

Earlier today I received my package in the mail and got to work installing my accessory outlet. Its the Tusk 12v Power Socket. In about 20-25 mins I was done. It was a relatively painless process, and it helped to have small hands. No holes to drill, just a Phillips screwdriver, and a crescent wrench. I couldn't remove the terminal blocks without a bit more muscle. But you tough guys could probably manage just fine with a screwdriver

I'm with Cyclerosis on not compromising the storage compartment seal. Once I opened up the battery compartment, I found a couple of openings through to the fork, and routed the accessory outlet alongside the existing runs. Tomorrow, I'll pick up a some cable ties to bundle the wires with the others.

Open battery compartment
View attachment 502

find opening from battery compartment through to front fork
View attachment 503

here's a shot of the Tusk 12v Power Socket gizmo
View attachment 506

another shot showing the fusible link
View attachment 507

getting there with the connections. Seeing lots of red on the right...
View attachment 508

Finished product
View attachment 509

Open for business. The end!
View attachment 510

I hope I got this right. The photo upload process and attachment management isn't the most intuitive...

Super! I think I like the socket you chose better than the one I purchased from ebay. Going to look at their web site now.

I just mounted one of these to my handle bars a couple days ago.Tusk 12 Volt Power Socket : Amazon.com : Automotive Ran the wire through like Cyclerosis, except from the steering head area to the battery. No holes to cut at all. Did it while I was at work actually with two phillips screwdrivers. That's it, very simple install.

Just ordered one.. Thanks for the link....

And done, fits perfect......

Last edited:
ahh... I wonder why I am the only oddball installing the factory-expensive-low-powered (1A!!!) 12V socket inside... so dumb.:confused:
The hole is actually right at the top and the OEM socket actually has rubber seal so its pretty water tight.

Funny! We were posting at the same time, and mounted the same thing. Mines on the left though. :D

Indeed. JDE, my long-time car GPS is mounted on the left side of the handlebar so that I can, ahem, fiddle with the GPS while throttling or stopped.

Last edited:
ahh... I wonder why I am the only oddball installing the factory-expensive-low-powered (1A!!!) 12V socket inside... so dumb.:confused:
The hole is actually right at the top and the OEM socket actually has rubber seal so its pretty water tight.

Lamlamz, don't beat yourself up. I had looked at the Honda unit, but did not get the impression that any kind of external bracket came with it (to mount on handlebar or engine bar like Cyclerosis did), and it just seemed like so much money for an incomplete kit (my opinion) with drilling/cutting required, so I looked elsewhere...

Last edited:
Lamlamz, don't beat yourself up. I had looked at the Honda unit, but did not get the impression that any kind of external bracket came with it (to mount on handlebar or engine bar like Cyclerosis did), and it just seemed like so much money for an incomplete kit (my opinion) with drilling/cutting required, so I looked elsewhere...
tears.......

Back