• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Powering Up

TechiePilot

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello Team Honda,
I am in the market for some information regarding the addition of a 12v lighter socket (power accessory). The 'installation' itself seems a painless process, but I was wondering if any of you could offer some tips on the best way to open up the machine/remove cowling to gain access to the dongle and connect the gizmo. Thanks a bunch.
:confused:

You really should invest in the service manual for this. It would be very hard to describe. You should have the picture reference in front of you when you do it the first time. After a couple of times you will be a pro at it. There is a bit of fiddling to get the panel interlocks right and cables routed and such, but it is not hard. But without the manual, I would not recommend that you undertake it.

Speaking of which, where is it you ordered yours from please?

Helm, Inc. (800) 782-4356

The manual is not yet on their web site, but you may order it by phone or through your Honda dealer. They can order them through the Honda parts system (According to my dealer).

TechiePilot,

You can order the 12V socket parts and it comes with manual just enough to get your little project going. The full service manual will come in handy if you want to do more or learn more. I just did mine today and it is very easy.

Thanks beemerphile for the Helm info.

I stopped using cig sockets a while back. I found a place in MI called Powerlet. They make cables for just about anything motorcycle. I use one of these to go from battery to the steering head. The power end is called an SAE connector and is what your Battery Tender has. They make adapter cables to connect this SAE to anything (GPS, Ipod, USB, Mini USB, Etc.). Powerlet Products - Rugged power outlets, cables and electronics

powerlat.jpg

Thanks, lamlamz...

Out of curiosity, where did you mount yours?
Got an after pic to show?

Here you go:
IMG_0471.jpgIMG_0474.jpg
IMG_0476.jpgIMG_0477.jpg
IMG_0484.jpgIMG_0485.jpg

The only thing missing is the factory marked line where you supposed to drill the hole. There isn't any in my case. So I have to guesstimate.

Last edited:
I stopped using cig sockets a while back. I found a place in MI called Powerlet. They make cables for just about anything motorcycle. I use one of these to go from battery to the steering head. The power end is called an SAE connector and is what your Battery Tender has. They make adapter cables to connect this SAE to anything (GPS, Ipod, USB, Mini USB, Etc.). Powerlet Products - Rugged power outlets, cables and electronics

powerlat.jpg

If you have direct connection to your batt., just make sure you don't run any devices for extended period of time while your engine is stopped. One of my buddy wired it that way and his GPS was connected the whole time while parked. Needless to say it drained the battery. There is a reason you use the sub-harness or wired it through the ignition line.

If you decide to go the frame mount route, I mounted the 12v outlet here. The only thing You'll need to remove, doing it this way, is the battery door.

DSC_0084.jpg

Then routed the terminals through this tiny little space at the bottom left of the battery compartment. It helped to remove the fuse block cover.

DSC_0083.jpg

This how the connection looks and the positive terminal on the outlet is marked and fused with a 15A fuse. I have the extra cable looped in the cavity above the battery.

DSC_0085.jpg

I don't think it's too obtrusive. Didn't want to drill holes or remove body panels (once I looked at all the Honda buttons and 5mm hex bolts) And the entire process took me less than an hour; and that includes drinking a couple of cups of coffee and a few puffs on a cigar.

DSC_0086.jpg

Cyclerosis, isn't it a little bit dangerous to have the outlet this way? I mean, if it is directly connected to the battery, "anyone" could dry your battery just inserting something in the outlet?

Cyclerosis, isn't it a little bit dangerous to have the outlet this way? I mean, if it is directly connected to the battery, "anyone" could dry your battery just inserting something in the outlet?

Well, to be honest, I wasn't thinking that way. I wired the last two bike's I've owned exactly the same way without issue. And if someone is going to be malicious, I'm sure they could contemplate more nefarious things to do to a motorcycle than drain the battery.

So I am thinking why do you want outlet to be outside and not inside the storage?

If I use it with a GPS or heated clothing, I don't want cords compromising the weather stripping on the glove box. The outlet itself is marine grade and seems to be pretty weather tight so am not worried about it being exposed to some water. 99% of the time, this will probably only be used to plug in the battery maintainer.

If you have direct connection to your batt., just make sure you don't run any devices for extended period of time while your engine is stopped. One of my buddy wired it that way and his GPS was connected the whole time while parked. Needless to say it drained the battery. There is a reason you use the sub-harness or wired it through the ignition line.

I've been doing this for years. My GPS is right in front of me so when I stop it's obvious that it's on. If I'm on the road I remove it anyway, and if I'm at home I just turn it off. Even if I leave it on it draws so little that it would take a long time to drain the battery. I ride my bikes quite frequently so no problem. Besides, I keep a battery tender connected. If you don't ride much this might not be the way to go.

Last edited:
Nice work Cyclerosis...

Earlier today I received my package in the mail and got to work installing my accessory outlet. Its the Tusk 12v Power Socket. In about 20-25 mins I was done. It was a relatively painless process, and it helped to have small hands. No holes to drill, just a Phillips screwdriver, and a crescent wrench. I couldn't remove the terminal blocks without a bit more muscle. But you tough guys could probably manage just fine with a screwdriver

I'm with Cyclerosis on not compromising the storage compartment seal. Once I opened up the battery compartment, I found a couple of openings through to the fork, and routed the accessory outlet alongside the existing runs. Tomorrow, I'll pick up a some cable ties to bundle the wires with the others.

Open battery compartment
IMG-20120917-01153.jpg

find opening from battery compartment through to front fork
IMG-20120917-01154.jpg

here's a shot of the Tusk 12v Power Socket gizmo
IMG-20120917-01158.jpg

another shot showing the fusible link
IMG-20120917-01159.jpg

getting there with the connections. Seeing lots of red on the right...
IMG-20120917-01163.jpg

Finished product
IMG-20120917-01164.jpg

Open for business. The end!
IMG-20120917-01165.jpg

I hope I got this right. The photo upload process and attachment management isn't the most intuitive...

Last edited:
Back