• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Planning a Summer Solo Ride of the Northwest (OR/WA)

PortlandZinMan

Site Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
(I am hoping this is the correct forum)

Since I just spent a small fortune outfitting my new (to me) 2014, I am thinking of doing a man-cation this summer while my wife is in New York with her friends. I am fairly new to the northwest (lived in San Diego before this) and am living in Portland.

I am thinking a 7 day, 6 night loop adventure with daily riding distances of 250-300 miles (I am old and like to stop a lot, which is why I want to do this solo).

What I am looking for from others experienced in this area is what "try not to miss" roads you recommend in the Oregon/Washington area. I am also researching some riding sites on internet and will then publish the route in a few months. I am targeting July or August.

(any tips on packing for this trip will also be very welcome. I have the OEM Honda saddlebags and the carrier rack to work with. I will not be camping. B&B or Hotels for me...)

Thanks in advance.

I got off the ferry Columbia at Bellingham returning from Alaska in June of 2014. I rode up Mt Baker and found a lot of piled up snow, a waterfall and some lush foliage. I then road across the northern Cascades on HWY 20 spending the night in Winthrop, a popular weekend destination for regional people. I rode on to the Grand Coulee Dam. There is a good visitors center with video history. You can also take a guided tour of the dam. Head south from there to the Columbia River and follow it home.

What is the road number up the Columbia. Supposed to beba great road.

Hwy 84 on the OR side (all high speed freeway) but the one you are thinking of is Hwy 14 on the Washington side - two lane and a nice ride...only downside is that if can be crowded.

Having lived in Washington and taken almost every blue highway and a great number of logging roads and farmland unpaved, you could just wander on a wim like I often did ; } ...only thing is camping at night; some areas may not have a close campground. But a map in the morning gives you an idea. Tons of great stuff off the main ways.

Same goes for Oregon. Anywhere in Oregon.

Back