• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Pictures of Various Honda NC700X Saddlebags

Givi E45NJ top box and Y's Gear E21 saddlebags. Same as Givi E21 but rebranded for sale by Yamaha and a bit cheaper.

6yjynyhe.jpg

eme8ybe9.jpg

Hey Mike, can you possibly answer a question I've been long curious about? Totally off topic lol, but...

(compared to Canada) Japan. Large population. Many more motorcycles, probably more cars and other misc. vehicles too.

How come the licence plates have so few digits? You'd think they would have run out of combinations long ago!

Hey Mike, can you possibly answer a question I've been long curious about? Totally off topic lol, but...

(compared to Canada) Japan. Large population. Many more motorcycles, probably more cars and other misc. vehicles too.

How come the licence plates have so few digits? You'd think they would have run out of combinations long ago!

Easily answered.

1. Private auto ownership rates lagged waaaay behind until a couple of decades ago,

2. The (currently) three digit vehicle class identifier until a few years ago was two digits. Adding one more digit increased the possible licenses tenfold. (Not used on bikes, though)

3. There are about 43 different hiragana characters used on the plates, each occupying only one position, but packing a hell of a multiplying wallop. That single device alone takes the number of (seemingly) four digit bike plates from a mere 9,999 to well over four million.

4. Greater segmentation of issuing authorities. The thing about having a national government instead of a federal government is that this all comes under a single umbrella authority and they can direct the creation of new issuing districts as increased demand requires. So the geographical indicators (the two kanji in the upper left of my plate, for example) aren't limited as in the case of places like the US. I live in Gunma, which has the highest per household car ownership in the country. We used to all have Gunma plates, but a few years ago one heavily populated part of Gunma got assigned its own licensing district and, although they're in Gunma Prefecture their licenses indicate Takasaki (City) instead. That can be repeated again as much as necessary, yielding tens of millions of newly available numbers each time. (Metro Tokyo has five such districts and the western suburbs....also geopolitically part of Tokyo....have two).

5. Extraordinarily numerous vehicles, such as small scooters, are licensed by municipalities and in addition to having more digits on them if necessary also run a color scheme system to differentiate between classes.

6. Taxes on vehicles keep on until you deregister them, which involves turning the plates back in. So the fact that a number has been used before doesn't preclude it's being used again. By the time they get through all the huge amount of available numbers and have to start doing that, the previous vehicle is so long defunct that no confusion or trouble is likely.

7. The tag is issued to the vehicle and stays with it so long as it isn't deregistered, so we don't eat up available numbers every time somebody buys or sells a used car. (Sometimes, yes, but not always).

We'll never run out of possible numbers here. Not a problem.

Last edited:
How wide are OEM cases?

Very interesting thread! Now I am too confused with so many options...
Can someone with the OEM cases tell me how wide they are, and, maybe, post a picture from top and from behind the bike?
Thank you very much!

I'm loving by Givi Outback Trekker cases, I think they make the bike look a lot more rugged. Dry as can be too.
Pros: Very well built, easy to install, look great, fair price (bought from Motostorm in Italy and they arrived quick and cheap)
Con: Super rugged locking latch is maybe too clunky and rugged. Wish it fit a helmet - in a perfect world, like BMW GS cases - but that's what I have the tail box for.
IMG_9256.jpg
Givi Pair Of Side Cases Trekker Outback 37 Lt Aluminium | MotoStorm [en]

I'm loving by Givi Outback Trekker cases, I think they make the bike look a lot more rugged. Dry as can be too.
Pros: Very well built, easy to install, look great, fair price (bought from Motostorm in Italy and they arrived quick and cheap)
Con: Super rugged locking latch is maybe too clunky and rugged. Wish it fit a helmet - in a perfect world, like BMW GS cases - but that's what I have the tail box for.
View attachment 18746
Givi Pair Of Side Cases Trekker Outback 37 Lt Aluminium | MotoStorm [en]

What did the rack for the panniers and top plate for the top case set you back? I want to get the top case first and add the panniers later.

Con: Super rugged locking latch is maybe too clunky and rugged.
Same here....But!
After working the key in and out over the last few thousand miles (daily commuting) the locks have loosened up nicely. I also gave them a shot of silicone spray and it seemed to work..

10338502_10154096136230137_6918643566522630152_o.jpg

Here is mine with just the Honda top box. I started running with the side bags as well, because too many people called it a scooter.

I actually laughed out loud for that last "monster panniers" photo... and that doesn't happen very often for me.

Using StraTuner's PVC rack design, I have these. The Side Cases and Tank Bag are Rally Pack and the Top Case is a Firstgear expandable case.
The height can expand 4" and the 2 side pockets (on the Top Case) can each expand about 3".
Very light weight and can be installed or removed in under 10 minutes, including the PVC racks. :p

Attachments

• 20140929_145136.jpg
    20140929_145136.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 5,136
  • 20140929_145115.jpg
    20140929_145115.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 2,747
  • 20140929_145152.jpg
    20140929_145152.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 3,228
  • 20140929_145219.jpg
    20140929_145219.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 2,804
Last edited:
So need advice I want to go with the Givi Trekker Outback topcase either the 42 or 58 liter version. I would love the extra room of the 58 liter but at 555mm/ 22in do you guys think that it would be just way too large for the NC?

Back