• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Need Help Parking Brake pads

Somebody rode with the brake on. The 750 motor has a lot of torque. Don't :oops: ask how I know.
It also suggests the Honda brake is rather weak, that one could ride with the brake on and not know it.

Lol it also suggests someone doesn't look at their dash often or they would've probably noticed the big red Parking Brake Warning Light on the dash

HIz690F.jpg

Btw the last time someone reported doing this I tested mine and it took a lot of throttle to overcome the parking brake. Im not sure if their is a tension adjustment on them or not.

Last edited:
It also suggests the rider doesn't really know his bike. Yes, You can ride off with it on but if you don't notice the brake dragging I don't know what to say to that.

It also suggests the Honda brake is rather weak, that one could ride with the brake on and not know it.

The parking brake works just fine for its intended purpose, It wont stop the bike while riding.

The parking brake works just fine for its intended purpose, It wont stop the bike while riding.
That is exactly what I’ve heard about the NC DCT parking brake. It seems like a less than well thought out design.

On both our old Honda Reflex 250 scooter, and on my Zero DSR, those bikes will not move at all with the parking brakes engaged. Even the Zero’s high torque motor can’t overcome the strong parking brake.

The way our Honda Ruckus parking brake is designed, it is going to release when you start the engine, and you can’t ride away with the brake on. You have to squeeze the brake lever to be able to engage the starter. When you squeeze the brake lever, it disengages the parking brake.

I always wondered why the NC was designed in such a way that it can be ridden with the brake on.

...I always wondered why the NC was designed in such a way that it can be ridden with the brake on.
Because it is a mechanically operated mechanism. Maybe someone has already made an electronically controlled parking brake mechanism for motorcycles, as in many modern vehicles.
I think Honda decided to design the parking brake in such a way to meet the requirements for automatic motorcycles. Many countries do not allow a left-handed rear brake, as in scooters, and this would probably simplify the parking brake mechanism.

Because it is a mechanically operated mechanism. Maybe someone has already made an electronically controlled parking brake mechanism for motorcycles, as in many modern vehicles.
I think Honda decided to design the parking brake in such a way to meet the requirements for automatic motorcycles. Many countries do not allow a left-handed rear brake, as in scooters, and this would probably simplify the parking brake mechanism.
The 3 other other machines I described in post #8 all have mechanically operated parking brakes, as is the NC’s. They are all either automatic transmission or have no transmission. The Zero has no left hand brake. The NC stands alone as the one out of four that I’m familiar with, where the bike can be ridden with the brake on.

But wait, I’ll throw one more in the mix. Our Can-Am Ryker has a mechanically operated parking brake, well actually a pawl or pin like on an automatic car transmission. It is absolutely impossible to ride the machine forward or reverse with park engaged. It is an automatic, 80 horsepower, and has no left hand operated service brake. If the parking “brake” is on, then the machine won’t go.

The 3 other other machines I described in post #8 all have mechanically operated parking brakes, as is the NC’s. They are all either automatic transmission or have no transmission. The Zero has no left hand brake. The NC stands alone as the one out of four that I’m familiar with, where the bike can be ridden with the brake on....
Okay, my fault. I wasn't paying close attention. I thought you were asking why the parking brake mechanism is not disengaged automatically when starting from a standstill.
When it comes to parking brakes in NC/CTX, it's hard to guess Honda's decision.
I know that if the parking brake is engaged, then I personally cannot move the motorcycle from a place. So, in my opinion, the parking brake does its job.
But it happened to me many times that I was driving a car with the parking brake on. It hasn't happened to me with a motorcycle, but I haven't ridden them that much in my life.

That is exactly what I’ve heard about the NC DCT parking brake. It seems like a less than well thought out design.

On both our old Honda Reflex 250 scooter, and on my Zero DSR, those bikes will not move at all with the parking brakes engaged. Even the Zero’s high torque motor can’t overcome the strong parking brake.

The way our Honda Ruckus parking brake is designed, it is going to release when you start the engine, and you can’t ride away with the brake on. You have to squeeze the brake lever to be able to engage the starter. When you squeeze the brake lever, it disengages the parking brake.

I always wondered why the NC was designed in such a way that it can be ridden with the brake on.
The DCT Goldwing uses the same design, Its a Honda thing.
Maybe a 2 inch diameter LED strobe light on the instrument panel is needed along with a electrical current zapper on the saddle would work. o_O

Last edited:
I dunno … I’ve ridden off a couple times with the parking brake on in the 8 years I’ve had my 2015 DCT. I’ve noticed it pretty quickly, but it certainly wasn’t crazy obvious it was on based on the bike’s behavior.

At least on my bike, if the brake is adjusted as the manual indicates - so that the lever aligns between the two marks when engaged - it grabs just enough to keep the bike from rolling but will certainly allow you to ride off with it on. I’ve set mine much tighter so it is VERY noticeable if you try to ride off when it’s on.

I dunno … I’ve ridden off a couple times with the parking brake on in the 8 years I’ve had my 2015 DCT. I’ve noticed it pretty quickly, but it certainly wasn’t crazy obvious it was on based on the bike’s behavior.

At least on my bike, if the brake is adjusted as the manual indicates - so that the lever aligns between the two marks when engaged - it grabs just enough to keep the bike from rolling but will certainly allow you to ride off with it on. I’ve set mine much tighter so it is VERY noticeable if you try to ride off when it’s on.
Ahhh so there is an adjustment.

you can adjust up by the lever at the handlebars (somewhat minor adjustments, sort of like a bicycle brake lever), or greater adjustment back at the parking brake pads on the rear wheel.

Back