• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Parking at a store

robnpat

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I went to go eat lunch with my mom today at a fast-food joint, and then went to a 'mini-mall' to get my haircut. My bike is hard for me to back up since I am on my tip-toes, so I just found 2 or 3 spots that were adjacent to each other, and made a U-turn and parked in one of the spots, that way all I have to do is move forward out of my spot. This seemed, to me, not very 'professional', and if I couldn't find any spots in order to do a U-turn, I don't know what I would do. I could always park by pulling into the spot, just like a car, but I would be hard-pressed to get it out of that spot when I am ready to go.

How do you guys do this, or what is the accepted protocol when parking in a store parking lot? Can I park in stripped lanes, since no one will be in front of me so I can just go forward?

I went to go eat lunch with my mom today at a fast-food joint, and then went to a 'mini-mall' to get my haircut. My bike is hard for me to back up since I am on my tip-toes, so I just found 2 or 3 spots that were adjacent to each other, and made a U-turn and parked in one of the spots, that way all I have to do is move forward out of my spot. This seemed, to me, not very 'professional', and if I couldn't find any spots in order to do a U-turn, I don't know what I would do. I could always park by pulling into the spot, just like a car, but I would be hard-pressed to get it out of that spot when I am ready to go.

How do you guys do this, or what is the accepted protocol when parking in a store parking lot? Can I park in stripped lanes, since no one will be in front of me so I can just go forward?

Have you ever watched store personnel at a motorcycle shop moving bikes around? Put the stand up, and walk it out of the spot with one hand on the left handlegrip and the other on the rear grab bar. I have posted this Youtube vid here before, but I'll repeat it for this explanation. Take a look at the very end of the video. Resist the urge to have both hands on the handlebar as he does it here. It works fine when gravity is helping you as it is here, but it is more difficult to pull on the bike as needed in an uphill situation. If you get used to doing it the same way every time you will develop better comfort with the technique than you will using the bars one time and the grab rail the next. You can walk your bike all over the yard at home to become confortable with it.

[video=youtube;kRFyw57o_Ic]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRFyw57o_Ic[/video]

Thanks, Beemer. Using the rear grab bar makes sense. I'll keep that in mind. I wish I was as talented as that guy getting onto his bike. Wow!! :D

Also, note the slope of the ground. If it slopes down, back the bike in. If it slopes up, head it in. I once watched a group of, maybe 8, Gold Wing riders pull into a restaurant parking lot in PA. They pulled in single file and by the time the last bike was in the lot, they nearly simultaneously, turned the handle bars left then backed their bikes into the empty spaces. Had I known, it would have been worth recording.

$(KGrHqJ,!lwF!emOQJBEBQLGupUlew~~60_57.jpg

Something to think about.

Honda NC 700 X / S : Linkage Kit to reduce seat height.

Linkage Kit / Lowering Kit
(reducing seat height)

pair for

Honda NC 700 X / S, 2012

they work as replacement for the OEM - parts

lowering is 20mm at middle of rear wheel

To reach correct set-up: lower fork (through yoke)
and
RECOMMANDATION: shorten sidestand (description in installation instruction)

Backing in a parking spot is just an old school way of a quick escape if need be. Park anyway that is safe for you and others. :cool:

Last edited:
Also, note the slope of the ground. If it slopes down, back the bike in. If it slopes up, head it in. I once watched a group of, maybe 8, Gold Wing riders pull into a restaurant parking lot in PA. They pulled in single file and by the time the last bike was in the lot, they nearly simultaneously, turned the handle bars left then backed their bikes into the empty spaces. Had I known, it would have been worth recording.

The irony of that story is that Goldwings happen to have a reverse gear.

Hey Seabee, do you have any info on that kit, like part number, etc? Is it something easy to install (I am mechanic-challenged). I'd love to be able to lower my bike by about an inch.

Hey Seabee, do you have any info on that kit, like part number, etc? Is it something easy to install (I am mechanic-challenged). I'd love to be able to lower my bike by about an inch.

It is posted on Ebay. There is no Buy It Now Price. The bid right now is set at $169.50 and $19.00 shipping to the US. I will look into it more and keep you posted. It is coming out of Lohr, Germany.

You could also look into modifying your stock seat to lower you an inch. If so, you could use gel or memory foam. Kill two birds with one stone!

Last edited:
Ebay Item

$T2eC16V,!w0E9szNZI0)BQPGe5OQ!Q~~60_12.JPGLust Racing Honda NC 700 X/S Lowering Kit RC63 Drop Links 2012

'LUST Suspension" LOWERING KIT -40 mm
Hi-Quality Ride height adjusting lowering brackets for

HONDA NC700X / NC700S
year 2012
(Lowering kit contains two linkage brackets)

MANUFACTURED OF DURABLE S275 STEEL
MATT BLACK EDP POWDER COATING FINISH

This suspension lowering kit by LUST RACING lowers the ride height of your NC700
approximately -40 mm providing increased high speed stability.
Great for shorter or female riders.

GBP 54.95
Approximately US $88.07
Buy It Now

Shipping: GBP 14.95 (approx. US $23.96) Royal Mail Airsure | See details
See details about international shipping here.

Item location:
London, United Kingdom

Ships to:
Worldwide
Delivery:
Estimated Delivery within 3-7 business days

This low cost conversion kit also greatly improves the looks of your Bike.
Certainly the easiest and cheapest suspension upgrade.
Easy Installation with basic hand tools in less half an hour or less,
Just replace your standard suspension linkage bracket.

Installation instruction provided.

Thanks, Seabee. I've been looking at finding someone to alter my seat as you mentioned, but my searches have been fruitless. I'm still looking, though

Thanks, Seabee. I've been looking at finding someone to alter my seat as you mentioned, but my searches have been fruitless. I'm still looking, though

Finest Quality - Comfort - Service
For more than 33 years.

People often spend extra money for extra quality. Designer sunglasses, gold watches, fancy shoes... quality products which actually don't perform better than than their lower-priced alternatives. That's ok. But to a real long-distance motorcycle rider, there's a much more important part of the anatomy than wrists, eyes and feet. It's the BUTT!
Even the most expensive motorcycle is supplied with a factory-stock seat that was built only for the "average" rider. One-size-fits-all. And our happy clients found out all too soon that they are NOT average. Sore legs, sore back, numb tailbone, and other discomforts are common among bikers.

And that's where DIAMOND CUSTOM SEATS comes in. For more than 33 years, we've been building high-quality, high-comfort seats for the serious rider. And our list of enthusiastic customers, as well as our product line, is enormous. Each custom seat is built to your own personal dimensions, and your passenger's, using the finest materials to guarantee you a lifetime of long-distance comfort.

Your butt will thank you... for miles and miles.

800.722.9995 • 386.698.2737 • Fax: 386.698.2762 • PO Box 489 • Seville, Florida 32190

Dianna’s Shop is one of Western North Carolina’s leading shops for motorcycle seat upholstery. Specializing in custom building each seat, every customer is sure to get the most out of their riding experience. Dianna takes pride in providing top quality services at an affordable price. Call today to find out how Dianna’s Shop can customize your seat!

Dianna's Shop - Asheville and WNC Custom Motorcycle Seat ...
diannasshop.com

Dianna modified my 2010 Harley Davidson FXD Dyna Super Glide stock solo seat.

Last edited:

Being able to do tight U turns is a great skill to ingrain and backing in is no disgrace. Riders will notice the guy who can size up and control his machine in the available space and going around the lot for another recon pass is again no disgrace. When parking in a spot marked for cars leave the bike out in the last half of the space. More than one car driver has been surprised when spotting the last open space and whipping into it only to find a motorcycle already parked there but moving too fast and too late on the brakes to avoid hitting it. Also note that you can slide a little off the seat in order to get one foot flat on the ground to start pushing, then kind of hop on that one leg to push again - shift the paradigm that you have to push with both feet flat. I have been short all my life, you learn to compensate.

Last edited:

Indeed, it would have been a sight to behold. When I was 'window shopping', I noticed that the GW's have a reverse gear. At a smidge over 1000lbs, I can see that it would be easier on the knees ;-)

There is no shame in going around/making sure you can get out of the spot you parked in, and I'm in full agreement that its a good idea to move your machine forward so drivers can see the spot is occupied. My feet hit the ground flat, but at work, I have to bump a drainage ditch on entry and I'd be on my toes, so unless my immediate coworkers are already parked, I have enough room to do a 3-point maneuver in my spot. Lowering links are worth a shot. I've been very lucky to not need them, and should I need to stop on a camber, I think I'll be ok.

Last edited:

I have a set of 15mm drop links that I will sell for less than I have in them if that is enough drop for you. I have decided against a modification to fit a 160/70 tire and these were part of that sub-project. LEt me know if interested. As far as installation, it is dirt simple if you have a centerstand and a bit of a hassle without.

Back