• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Original Rear Metzeler tire replaced at 11,294 miles

The_Drifter

Reaction score
Visit site
I got more mileage out of the original tire then I thought I would. Replaced it with the Michelin Pilot Road 4 tire. I hope to get close to 15,000 miles on that tire, but who knows.

I got more mileage out of the original tire then I thought I would. Replaced it with the Michelin Pilot Road 4 tire. I hope to get close to 15,000 miles on that tire, but who knows.

0.jpgI have seen nothing but good reviews on the Pilot Road 4, but on other bikes. Let us know how it works with the NC7.

smileymustache.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
You should easily get 15,000 out of a PR3, hopefully the 4 is at least as long lived. Myself I couldn't get more than 8,000 miles out of two Z8s.

Depends on the type of road surface you have locally and how much engine breaking you do when riding in the twisties. A bunch of our roads are chip seal that will absolutely eat tires. The only time I got over 9000 on a bick tire on my ST was when I left the state on a 7000 mile trip. Comparing tire longevity is pretty much useless unless you live in the same locale and have similar riding habits. It's pretty much the same as comparing insurance premiums.....too many variables to consider.

I got 3565 miles on my rear Z8 on my NC before cords were showing. Move to Arkansas and try to get 15K miles from a tire..... I dare you.
Mike

Depends on the type of road surface you have locally and how much engine breaking you do when riding in the twisties. A bunch of our roads are chip seal that will absolutely eat tires. The only time I got over 9000 on a bick tire on my ST was when I left the state on a 7000 mile trip. Comparing tire longevity is pretty much useless unless you live in the same locale and have similar riding habits. It's pretty much the same as comparing insurance premiums.....too many variables to consider.

I got 3565 miles on my rear Z8 on my NC before cords were showing. Move to Arkansas and try to get 15K miles from a tire..... I dare you.
Mike

I've got to agree with your last sentence. The roads are pretty rough around the Little Rock area. I've got just under 8,000 miles on the stock BT-023. Not sure how much longer they are going to last. Another factor to consider is route. I ride the same route 5 days a week. There are only five turns on the entire 25 mile trip. My tires gets a lot of use right down the center of the tire.

I'm just over 6k on the Z8s that came with the bike and they still look new. I haven't commuted a lot to work, so most of the miles are fun miles :)

Mike
Who said you could get 15,000 miles out of a tire in Arkansas?

OK, based on the conditions of use of the original poster.....if he rides the same bike on the same roads about the same pace based on my experience of riding the same bike on the same roads at about the same pace with the Z8 then a PR3 the PR3 gives at least as much additional wear to get 15,000 miles if the datum was 11,300 miles. At 6,xxx miles my PR3 is showing 4/32 tread depth after starting at 8/32. I am confident I can project the mileage to be well in excess of 8,000 miles which was the datum.

Dave,
Once again you've missed my point. My point, stated briefly, was that discussing tread life is somewhat pointless given the varied terrain, road surface, riding styles, etc... That is why I likened it to insurance premiums and the many variables that figure into their prices for individuals.

Don't take things so personally! I wasn't daring YOU to do anything. Settle down and go find a BMW thread to pounce on :D
Mike

How can we both miss each other's point? I stated briefly to the OP that he should get the mileage he wants out of the tire he chose. I didn't bring any other factors into it. If he continues to ride the same way on the same roads I think a PR will give him better mileage than the Z8. If you disagree than say so but instead you change the location, riding style, road surface and throw in insurance to muck it all up and get a chance to take a shot at me.

Whatever Dave. I agree that a PR is a much better tire than the Z8, much better. Like I said before, don't take things personally. If I wanted to "take a shot" your way you will certainly know it Buddy.
Mike

I have close to 10,000 miles on my Z8s and while I am thinking about changing them out, its not any kind of emergency yet; I still have plenty of tread left.

My Metzelers lasted 4500 miles and I threw the slippery riding tires in the trash. PR3s so much better I don't care if they wear longer than Metzelers.

I've heard that "slippery" thing plenty of times but it hasn't been my experience - once when they were brand new and I had less than 20 adult hours on a bike they gave me a spill but other than that, they have performed beautifully for me in the rain and on cold roads and gravel roads and winding roads and all kinds of combinations of those.

I just replaced my Metzlers today with a set of PR4s as well. I've had the rear end slip out on me several times on what seemed like completely dry road before and I've even had the damned things dump me once (thankfully it was a few hours after installing the crash bars, which consequentially has been the best investment I've made in the bike as well as the most timely; the result was literally one small scuff on the black plastic next to the foot pegs). I've got less than 4000 miles on these tires and the bike because I never wanted to ride it due to having no confidence in it. I've spent a small fortune in gas taking my truck to and from work in the mean time. I finally got fed up and just got the best tires I could find. These Metzler tires have cost me quite a lot of time and money from missed riding and commuting. That really burned me up since it was the first time I've ever dumped a bike while riding (while not being hit by a car).

I don't know if it's a quality issue, or a quality control issue (they do get some favorable reviews). DanH, I think you're a little more forgiving that I am. They certainly seem to get some decent mileage (which could point back to their grippiness or lack thereof... on Tuesdays, or whatever the inconsistency is).

It's too early to tell with the PR4's but I rode it home on damp streets and the highway and they behaved well. They might have a taller profile than the Metzlers as the bike seems to have just a hint of that falling into a lean sensation. It's not a bad thing, I think it's just the typical sensation you get when you change tire profiles where it's just a little different. I got the same size as stock. I guess I'll find out soon enough since I plan on riding again as long as it's not down-pouring or snowing. Dammit, I miss riding. Even if it was just to work and back.

According to the literature about the PR4's, they are suppose to get about 20% more mileage then the PR3's.

One reason, why I think I got over 11,000 miles on my original Metzler back tire, is because I do allot of commuting on a freeway, who's top surfaced is paved with a rubber coated asphalt. The tires don't make as much noise on these treated freeways, and according to ADOT (Arizona Department of Transportation) increases tire mileage.

Sounds like I have similar service as you, DAS100. My Metzies are still on, though I have replacements on-hand. I'm at just a tick under 14,000 miles right now, and although the rear is flat-spotted very 'well,' it's not showing me a reason to replace, so I'm still running it. I wouldn't have said this 15 years ago, but these days I quite like the road surfaces in our area. The recycled-tire-rubber overcoat makes them very nice, IMO.

I wish we could get that stuff on our roads out here. I definitely noticed how quiet and smooth the road was last time i drove through Phoenix

Back