• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Opinions wanted: Wilbers socks

I have Wilber's front and rear on my BMW and consider them every bit as good as Ohlins. The Model 640 with adjustable rebound damping is most comparable to the Ohlins I got for my NC. I had planned to get either Wilber's or Ohlins, whichever appeared first.

As far as the front springs, I do not think that springs are the biggest problem up front. It is the excessive high speed damping on compression.

What about the model 641 with the remote reservoir? I understand it provides more adjusting options

457645.jpg

I agree your front forks must be much better than Wilbers but, at least, they provide progressive springs...

What about the model 641 with the remote reservoir? I understand it provides more adjusting options

View attachment 1432

I agree your front forks must be much better than Wilbers but, at least, they provide progressive springs...

If you have the money and want to spend it, great. But I have never adjusted mine once they were set. The remote only gives you easier preload adjustment. Only needed if you go both with and without a passenger often (in my opinion). I think adjustable rebound damping is worth considering.

Your stock front springs are two rate springs. I actually went with single rate springs and adjust the progressiveness by adjusting the oil level which changes the air compression ratio above the oil.

Edited: sorry, I missed seeing the adjustments for high and low speed compression damping on the 641. That is indeed very adjustable but probably overboard for this application. I would rather get a good rear shock (the 640) and spend the difference re-valving the front with cartridge emulators.

Last edited:
Forgot to add that the remote reservoir with preload adjustment is available on the 640 if you need it, and also wish to suggest that you work through a shop that can set it up to your requirements. I did this with both Ohlins and Wilber's and both times they had the set-ups spot on.

Vacillating between the 640 and 641. We have pretty rough roads up here in Seattle and I often carry a lot of gear/groceries. Sometimes ride with a passenger. Is the 641 overkill in your opinion? It's about a $250 difference between the two if they are both hooked up with a remote preload adjuster, which I think is essential, as my loads vary.

With what type of riding would the simple 640 be plenty adequate? Have 3 cents to spare?

I approached the local Wilbers agent here in Ireland with regard to a shock for the NC. He told me that Wilbers advise folks to get the remote preload adjuster with either the 640 or 641. Their reasoning is that it is extremely difficult to adjust the spring preload on the shock once installed on an NC. That would mean removal of the shock each time adjustment was needed. Even if riding solo there may be times when adjustment is needed to account for luggage being carried.

I purchased the 641 for my Triumph, principally to be able to adjust the High and Low speed compression damping to my personal preference. I did a lot of minor adjustments at first until I achieved what I wanted. You do not have that option with the 640. A large part of my purchase criteria is based on comfort for a bad lower back. So far, with the 641 on the rear and Wilbers revalving on the forks, the Triumph is the most comfortable bike I own and probably one of the most comfortable I have ever owned. I cannot recommend Wilbers highly enough.

I had previously used an Ohlins shock on a Varadero some years ago with similar good results.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vacillating between the 640 and 641. We have pretty rough roads up here in Seattle and I often carry a lot of gear/groceries. Sometimes ride with a passenger. Is the 641 overkill in your opinion? It's about a $250 difference between the two if they are both hooked up with a remote preload adjuster, which I think is essential, as my loads vary.

With what type of riding would the simple 640 be plenty adequate? Have 3 cents to spare?

I think the simple 640 is adequate for all types of riding when properly set up. The best person that I know of is Klaus Huenecke at EPM Performance. He lost his Wilbers distributorship a few years back when he and Herr Wilber had a tuss, but he is back again. I also use him for Wilbers rebuilds...

High performance motorcycle suspension sales and service from EPM Performance Imports

I have a 641 on mine. Bought it because I commute over some pretty rough roads daily as well. I love it. It made a world of difference in comfort and handling. But I have never really felt much needs to change any of the settings. For some reason when I mounted mine it raised the rear end a little. I know you can ask for that as an option as well as lowering a little, but I didn't ask. So with that in mind I hardly ever adjust the remote preload adjuster. The high/low speed damping adjustments never touched them, the new shock feels good enough where they are set from the factory and I don't know enough about suspension to know what to do with them. So the 641 might have been overkill for me, but I had the money and I'm still happy with the change it made on the bike for me. Now I also live in Central California where we normally see triple digits in the summer so that was another consideration for me on getting a remote resivior on the shock, to help remove the heat from it when I'm riding these crappy roads in the heat. But I don't think I would worry about that with Seattle weather. I would be willing to bet you would be very happy with the 640 built to your weight alone, but if money is that tight and you have any doubts about the 640, then get the 641. Either way it will be MUCH better than the stock shock on rough roads. I had the same worries as you did when I bought mine. Eventually I decided I'm already shelling out quite a bit of money on a better shock, why not get the best one they have?

Back