• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Old rider, new ride

ViperDriver

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello, all. I'm an old guy who has been riding most of the past 56 years. I sold my last bike, an FJR1300, when we began a four-year-long tour of the U.S. in a motorhome. We've now bought a house in Northwest Arkansas so it's time for another ride. I naturally want a sporty bike with 100+ hp and a 140+ top speed and a track-worthy suspension. But . . ..

There comes a time in life where you need to slow down. What I need--not want--is a reasonably priced bike with good handling and enough power to get out of the way of crazy cagers but not so much power that I'll be tempted to do something stupid. It needs to be a sit-up-straight bike that's comfortable and that I can flat-foot at a stop light. Reasonable weight and good weight distribution are important. The ability to strap my travel kit on the back and "get lost in America" for a few weeks is mandatory.

The NC seems to fit my needs well. I've sat on one and the ergos work for me. A test ride scheduled for next week will tell me if I can adjust to the lower power and the lower revving engine, something new to me. Then I'll make my decision.

Sorry to be so long winded, but I'm hoping some of you may chip in come useful comments. Thanks.

Hello ViperDriver, I'm in Sallisaw, OK, just about a hour south of Fayettville. I'm not as old as you, I've only rode about 50 years. I went from a Gold Wing 1800 to the NC and I do miss some of the go power. My wife don't ride with me anymore so I scaled down to something fun. The NC can certainly get you a ticket, but its not a power house. I rode to South Texas about 3 weeks ago and hit some of the 75-85 mph speed limits and typically ran 5 mph over. The NC did just fine with little to no vibration. I'd be happy to meet with you, if you want more than what a dealer is going to give you on information and test ride. My schedule is pretty full, but I will make time if your interested. And welcome to the forum and good luck on your quest for the perfect bike.

Welcome to the forum from Texarkana, Arkansas. All I can tell you is I like my NC and I am an adrenaline junkie. It doesn't deliver liter bike performance but it is still fun and u am getting older. Good luck on your decision.

I also don't have nearly as much riding experience as you have.

Yet another Arkansas rider here. I live very near Little Rock. May 5th was my two year anniversary of owning this bike. I have only been riding for 34 years so you have me beat there but we have a similarity in the fact that I only rode litre bikes for the last 20 years. I bought the NC for the commuting advantages and not to tame myself although that is what has happened. As hard as I try to make this bike do what I did with my CBR it just isn’t possible. You can look at that as a good thing or a bad thing. I really used to enjoy riding next to a car at 70mpg and hitting the throttle hard to pull away like they were standing still. Those days are gone. I really miss the power even after two years but it could be a blessing in disguise.

Personally, based off your past history of bikes I don't think the correct word is adjust. I think it is accept. Don't get me wrong. This bike is great for how I use it and I honestly can't see having a different bike for commuting around Little Rock. It is the perfect bike that that purpose
I hope you enjoy your test ride and end up with the bike you really want.

Welcome from northeast Georgia. In a straight line she won't do what a liter bike will do, but put her in the curves and I would almost bet that you'll reach your limit before she reaches hers. I watched Kebrider scrubbing pegs and leaving sportbikes in the dust, and that was before all of his suspension upgrades. A faster bike doesn't make a better rider, but a better rider will make a faster bike. I think you'll enjoy it.

Thanks to all who replied for the good words. The NC is looking very promising. If/when I pull the trigger, I'll probably go with the DCT and add Shad SH36 side cases and maybe the SH39 top case, a centerstand, and do the seat slope mod, then probably heated grips next fall. Other than that, I just plan to wear out the beautiful backroads of the AR/MO Ozarks.

Sounds like AR/OK are well represented in the NC community.

To Ed Up -- Thanks. I should be back in AR in mid-May and will be in touch.

To OldJeff -- The Hillbillys look like a fun group. I'll watch for the next gathering.​

Sold an FJR myself to get an NC ...

The NC is not an FJR, but I'm enjoying it as much in ways different from the FJR. Sounds like after you get one, and add the storage you mentioned, you'll will love what the bike can do for you. And you will love the MPGs you attain!

I wish you well.

Jim (Another Arkansas Rider)

PS If you see a 2004 FJR buzzing around your neck of the woods, that's my old one. Sold it to a nice fellow up there in Springdale this past January.

Welcome Viper Driver. Lots of God folks in here!
If you do get the NC and want the Shad 36's , I have some for sale. Look in the for sale section and Pm me if interested.

Welcome Viperdriver, I also came to an NC from a FJR1300, a much different ride. Don't miss the extra horses but really appreciate the fun factor in the twisties.

Like you, I had not been on a motorcycle for 30 years before getting on the NC!

(ViperDriver ... that makes you an F16 pilot.)

(ViperDriver ... that makes you an F16 pilot.)

Yes, although that was 20 years ago. It is (soon to be "was") a wonderful airplane, the P-51 of the late 20th century jets.

I wish someone would make an F-16 motorcycle. Insanely powerful and fast and maneuverable but so honest and well-balanced grandma could master it.

Last edited:
Back