• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

OEM Saddle Bags Not Locking?

shawnfrontier

Reaction score
Visit site
Tried searching for an answer on here and couldn't find anything. So got my OEM saddle bags installed yesterday along with the rear carrier mount, so all I need now is the top case. My problem is the key lock when turning to lock latches, but if you pull slightly on the handle the lock will not hold and the bags can be opened/removed. The lock works fine with the key. Followed and re-read the instructions multiply times, everything is assembled the way it says. Anyone else have any issues with this or know a fix to this?

WP_20150416_001.jpgWP_20150416_003.jpg

Sorry, I don't have that issue. I will note, however, that it became easier for me to make sure they're locked in place as I used them a while. Not sure whether some of the rubber bits in the mounting system 'break in' somewhat, or if my brain just slowly learned how to operate the mechanism better. <shrug>

The only issue I have ever had with the EOM cases that sounds similiar to yours is if I try to lock them and the handle is not pushed fully down into the recessed area. I'm not saying this is your problem but it has happened to me a few times. I thought the handle was fully locked in place when I spun the key but it was not and I could lift the handle.

Are you sure the metal tab that the latch swings under is positioned correctly. I'm not even sure it is adjustable but I'd check. If I have time at lunch I will walk out and check mine. It sounds like your latch and the tab are missing each other.

WP_20150416_003.jpg

What he said above. I had the same issue you have last year and discovered it was that was I was latching it down. After I lock it down I always test it to make sure the handle doesn't come up after I lock it.

I met a guy last year while on tour who had an NC with factory bags and he had the same issue. When you lock it try moving the handle in a slightly different position while turning the lock and see if you can get it to lock. The hande position is the key.

Last edited:
I always have to push down rather hard on the flat part below the latching handle to ensure its seated enough to lock. Otherwise the lock turns but the cam doesn't catch the actual case lip.

Thanks everyone. Rode to the dealership last night to see if they knew anything, but they had no luck since I'm the only one with the bike and saddlebags, lol. Once I get home tonight from work, I'll fiddle around with the handle to see if it will lock. Sounds like that is the issue from what you guys are saying.

SergeantChuck, I'm almost positive that it's not adjustable, since that was the first thing I started to look at. Who knows I could still be wrong, lol.

Rode the bike to work today and was thinking should I bring the saddle bags incase someone post something on here for a possible solution. Nah I won't need them. Now look, lol.

Shawn, I can't tell from the video but is the metal tab that the latch should swing under bent upward at the end. It could have been an optical allusion but it looked like it was in the video. I'm pretty sure mine is flat and not angled up. Let us know. I might have been seeing things. It is a little dark in that area while you were filming.

Shawn, I can't tell from the video but is the metal tab that the latch should swing under bent upward at the end. It could have been an optical allusion but it looked like it was in the video. I'm pretty sure mine is flat and not angled up. Let us know. I might have been seeing things. It is a little dark in that area while you were filming.

That tab is straight on the top, but has a slight curve to the underside. I'll use my DLSR tonight to get better pictures/video of it.

Okay. Figured it out I think.

Your cam, the part that rotates when you lock it, is backwards. Mine bends "inwards," and yours bends the other way. Not the direction it rotates but the bend in the part that is supposed to catch the tab.

Heres a pic of mine.

The lock actually engages the tab on the side, not the front, when you lock it. So with your locking lug (or cam) being bent the wrong way (away from the bag, toward the bike), it doesn't fit snug against the latch. As you pull up on the handle, the angle allows it to slip off the latch just as it touches it.

So flip your locking cam around to look like
Mine.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Good find.
So that lock tab was assembled from the manufacturer that way? So much for 'function test' at the end of the assembly process. Must have been a Monday at the business.

Good find.
So that lock tab was assembled from the manufacturer that way? So much for 'function test' at the end of the assembly process. Must have been a Monday at the business.

Or someone bought a lock kit which keys it to your main key and installed it incorrectly.

But yes, flip that cam around -- or inside out -- and it will fit the tab when in "locked position" nice and tightly and you won't have any issues.

Okay. Figured it out I think.

Your cam, the part that rotates when you lock it, is backwards. Mine bends "inwards," and yours bends the other way. Not the direction it rotates but the bend in the part that is supposed to catch the tab.

Heres a pic of mine.

The lock actually engages the tab on the side, not the front, when you lock it. So with your locking lug (or cam) being bent the wrong way (away from the bag, toward the bike), it doesn't fit snug against the latch. As you pull up on the handle, the angle allows it to slip off the latch just as it touches it.

So flip your locking cam around to look like
Mine.

Good catch.

Back