• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

OEM Heated grip install, throttle cable removal question.

JakeH

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, all! I'm on step 24 of the heated grip installation instructions, and it says "Disconnect the throttle cable from the right grip as instructed in the motorcycle's service manual. Do not try to disconnect the cable with force using pliers, etc. Refer to the motorcycle's Service Manual."

I don't have the service manual, can't get one before Tuesday at the earliest, and odds are this is the last thing I'll ever do to the bike that isn't outlined in the owner's manual. Anyone have a non "buy the service manual" suggestion for removing these things without damaging anything?

I found another thread for the NC750 in which a poster said they were able to slip the cables off, but there's just not enough slack in the system for me to do the same.

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc750-...ed-grip-dealer-installed-known-problem-3.html

I've looked down at the throttle body end, and I can't see how they might come off down there either.

Thanks so much!

Throttle body side there is a barrel type adjuster. Loosen at throttle body to gain the additional slack.

DSCN1901a.jpg

Last edited:
Throttle body side there is a barrel type adjuster. Loosen at throttle body to gain the additional slack.

That was the trick! I had to loosen and remove the throttle side from it's little perch, in particular, to get enough slack in the system to get the dang things off. Also fiddled with the slack adjustment after I put it back together to make sure the cable wasn't too tight. Thanks so much!

Toasty paws from here on out!

I installed my grips a few weeks back and managed to break 1 cable strand at the grip wrestling the cable off.

I had the grip and one of the throttle body adjusters loosened but should have had ALL adjusters loosened and knew that,
but was thinking I would not get the adjustment back to original setting.

Marking one flat on adjuster nuts is the best way to remember how many turns one puts on a nut.

how to get to the throttle body????

I installed my grips a few weeks back and managed to break 1 cable strand at the grip wrestling the cable off.

I had the grip and one of the throttle body adjusters loosened but should have had ALL adjusters loosened and knew that,
but was thinking I would not get the adjustment back to original setting.

Marking one flat on adjuster nuts is the best way to remember how many turns one puts on a nut.

I'm installing heated grips now and need to get to the throttle body to loosen the cables. Where is it at and how do I get in there???? Thanks Rob

If you remove your kill switch you should be able to get access to the throttle body screws. See post 2 pictures on how get more slack to disconnect the cables.

If you remove your kill switch you should be able to get access to the throttle body screws. See post 2 pictures on how get more slack to disconnect the cables.

potterOo, Thanks for the quick reply. But I ment the "other" throttle body where the fuel injection takes place where the throttle cables end up on opposite ends of the twist grip. Needed to get in there to get some more slack in the cables to remove them from original grip. I tore into the belly of the beast last night and found the cables and adjusters on the LH side of bike. I didn't know how or were to look for them under all that plastic. Got it figured out after hours of taking things apart for the first time. Thanks, Rob

I just discovered that my Honda heated grips are going to be a PITA to install on the DCT because the throttle cables exit downwards instead of forwards, which puts a weird bend in the wire in front of the S/D/N DCT switch. :(

I just discovered that my Honda heated grips are going to be a PITA to install on the DCT because the throttle cables exit downwards instead of forwards, which puts a weird bend in the wire in front of the S/D/N DCT switch. :(
I just ran into the same situation. My new to me 2017 NC750XDCT came with factory heated grip that was installed by the dealer. Surely enough the wire on the right grip is sticking out in front of the SDN button. A bit of inconvenience to get my thumb around the button. I guess I just have to learn to live with it, unless you have found a way to fix it.
Kenny

Back