• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Octane

dzknmd

Reaction score
Visit site
I found a PDF of the owner's manual online and it refers to an octane requirement of 91 or higher using the RON (research octane number) method. The printed version I have says 86 or higher using the PON (pump octane number). The gas pumps around here say that their octane is calculated using the (R+M)/2 method. Can anyone here translate all of this for me?:confused: Most of the regular unleaded I have ever seen is rated at 87 octane.

I don't mean to start one of those epic threads on octane that we have all seen on every forum. Just want to understand what the manufacturer is recommending. thanks in advance for any input.

(R+M)/2 is rated (or RON) plus measured (or PON) divided by 2 so it's an average of the two. This is not a high compression engine. The only thing higher octane does is keep the gas from burning so easy so it doesn't detonate before the spark. Any higher than 'regular' unleaded in this engine is just a waste of money

(R+M)/2 is rated (or RON) plus measured (or PON) divided by 2 so it's an average of the two. This is not a high compression engine. The only thing higher octane does is keep the gas from burning so easy so it doesn't detonate before the spark. Any higher than 'regular' unleaded in this engine is just a waste of money

Thanks GDP, that's just what I wanted to hear. I'm not a proponent of buying unnecessary excess octane.

I did buy some unblended 92 octane today ($4.82/gal) just to be rid of the alcohol. Unblended is not readily available everywhere. Pure-gas.org is a great resource for locating unblended gas.

Regular unleaded around here is pushing $4.00/gal. But what the hey, at 330 miles I'm still on the honeymoon.:cool:

91 RON is equivalent to 87 in US. I put 93 in all my cars and motorcycle to get the fuel cleaner additive. If you are using Chevron or Costco gas, any grade should be fine as all grades have the additive. On pure gas, I know there is a place about 30 miles drive away from where I live that sells pure 87, and thinking of filling up 12gallon tank and coming back every month or so

Back