• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Noob replacing first chain

if you read the owners manual it said to replace the sprocket when it looks a certain way- ( there is some pictures on that page)
it said to replace the chain when certain criteria has been meet.

i think the "replace together" method was marketed by the sprocket and chain manufacturer.

so i say follow the manual, cant go wrong.

lubrication and cleaning the chain also listed when to do on the manual.

Last edited:
I must be doing something horribly wrong with this bike. I get 5K out of my chains. I must be over tightening and the swingarm pivot must be way out of concentricty with the front sprocket. I've had 30 bikes over my 50 yrs of riding and never had to once replace a chain. I'm not anal about lubrication. I got the best tensile strength chain I could find when I replaced this the last time. Still, the chain gets sloppy in a month.
New chains do stretch. After that month adjust and clean and lube regularly and they will last well into the 20,000 mile range.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

My chain has 6.5 cm slack after a month. I probably only have two adjustments left. This thing eats chains for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

My chain has 6.5 cm slack after a month. I probably only have two adjustments left. This thing eats chains for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
What kind of chain are you buying? are you buying the 50 to $70 Chinese chains or are you getting the DID gold chains? I got a DID gold and it is lasting a long time. Also if your sprockets aren't aligned then they'll wear out your chain fast. Also if your sprockets are worn and you put a new chain on it they will wear your chain out faster also.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I see I bought a JT Sealed X-Ring last time for $60. I remember searching for the highest tensile strength one I could locate.

I see I bought a JT Sealed X-Ring last time for $60. I remember searching for the highest tensile strength one I could locate.

I don’t have first hand experience with JT brand chains. There were a couple threads here in the past about them, and the end result was generally less than favorable life expectancy. Here is one, but there’s another somewhere: Has anyone used a JT chain?? Not sprockets, but chain?

In this thread, posts 13 and 14 mention short JT chain life and quick stretching: Best Chain and sprocket to purchase ? One poster uses the phrase, “JT chains stretch faster than rubber bands!”

I’ve never bought a chain based on tensile strength, and until now, never even noticed it mentioned. I just bought what people had good experience with. The D.I.D VX2 seems to be very popular, and go for as little as $60. My chain life runs around 17,500 miles, with minimal lubing and no automatic oiler. But I’m only at 37,000 miles on the bike, so that’s a pretty small data sample. I’m still using the original rear sprocket. I just recently changed the front sprocket for fun, but the original front showed no visible wear.

Last edited:
Similar to what 670cc said I also purchased a DID VX2 chain. In addition to positive feedback it had a higher rating in the wear resistance index which I thought was helpful in the filtering process. I couldn't quickly find a rating for JT chains.

PS: You will need a proper chain tool to install this. The rivet laughed and ate the cheap chain tools I started with.

Last edited:
In between vacations, I need to order my replacement chain. It's developed a noisy region. I'm going to try a DID VX2.

I've inspected my sprockets and don't have the precise criteria for replacement but these look nowhere near as bad as some of my old dirt bike sprockets whose teeth were either slanted or worn round. Any experts on here to offer insight?

20180802_152750_resized.jpg

20180802_152806_resized.jpg

Last edited:
In between vacations, I need to order my replacement chain. It's developed a noisy region. I'm going to try a DID VX2.

I've inspected my sprockets and don't have the precise criteria for replacement but these look nowhere near as bad as some of my old dirt bike sprockets whose teeth were either slanted or worn round. Any experts on here to offer insight?

View attachment 36923

View attachment 36924
From one angle of a 2 dimensional picture I give no guarantees but from what I see, it looks like nice even wear. I simply stick to the two chains for every set of sprockets i.e. If you haven't replaced the chain before, change the chain, if you have changed the chain already just get a whole set, chain and sprockets.

Not affiliated in any but I've been a satisfied customer for a few years and a few chains (I'm coming up on 80,000 miles on my 2013 NC)

NC 700 (all models) - Standard Transmission 2012-2017 - Honda - STREET

P.s. Some have changed the gearing by going up or down on the rear sprocket or going up one tooth on the front, depending on the desired effect.
99% of my riding is freeway to I've gone up one tooth on the front sprocket, if interested this may be a good time

Last edited:
those sprockets look good to me, that's how mine look as well and i'm not replacing them this time around, perhaps the next chain.... so... guess the new chain will have to just adjust to them :rolleyes:

Back