• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Noisy tires

sumo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
For several weeks I have been trying to figure out where this intermittent howling noise was coming from, so many things go through my mind. Bearings, chain, pump, alternator...do I even have an alternator and if I do what if it's making that noise!

Tonight I realised what it was, TIRES. My stock Dunlop Trailmax D609's didn't make any noise but this Battlax BT023 front tire is very noisy on certain road surfaces. Specifically, asphalt with high gravel content is noisy while asphalt with low or no gravel content is much quieter. I'm no tire or asphalt guy so just my dumb *** observations, YMMV.

In the end, now that I know what that noise is, it's not a bother.

Sigh. You know yer getting old when...:rolleyes:

I can't remember if it was my current NCX, or my long gone F800ST, that had the stock front tire howl like a banshee under braking. (the F800 had Metzeler Roadtec Z6 Interacts, my NC700 came with Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interacts)

Other owners of whatever bike forum I was on, reported same incredible noise that was verging on alarming, too, lol :eek:

The PR4's are pretty noisy in the same kind of conditions. I might even go as far as saying they were worse than the BT023's that came with my bike. I just recently installed a Conti Motion front tire and the noise difference was pretty noticeable. I was surprised.

I have a Kenda front tire on my cruiser and it howls like a banshee on smooth asphalt and no noise on asphalt with high gravel content or chip and seal roads. The Kenda K671s I put on the NC700 don't make such a noise on either.

Back