• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NOISE !! High Pitched Whistling/squeeky

Ok then... thanks for the input... I will see what my mechanic says on the next serice... get a second opinion... but it's good to hear that it's not a big deal...
:cool:

Last edited:
I cleaned the crap out of the chain and front sprocket. Removed the front sprocket cover and used a whole can of cleaner. Then adjusted/aligned and lubed it good. Power on squeak went away for me.

I'm glad whatever it was that was making the noise went away, but I'm still slightly baffled...

I can't for the life of me, think of any noise a chain could make, that could ever be described as: "high pitched whistling or squeaking". I mean sure, if the chain was Sahara desert dry and bow string tight to the point of failure, maaaaaybe a lower pitch squeak/groan, but then, the cause of said noise would be immediately, overwhelmingly apparent and be causing much worse problems!

Maybe I have a different outlook on what constitutes a squeak or high pitched whistle sound than others. :/

Try the brake pads. The NC pads have to be in the slots perfectly or you will get the noise from contact with rotor. This is all I can think of if the bike still is making noise with the engine off and the bike is rolling.. Some times a warped rotor will make noise also. Remove pads and listen to bike rolling with engine off.1.jpg

SmileyMechanic.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Try the brake pads. The NC pads have to be in the slots perfectly or you will get the noise from contact with rotor. This is all I can think of if the bike still is making noise with the engine off and the bike is rolling.. Some times a warped rotor will make noise also. Remove pads and listen to bike rolling with engine off.

No. If you read from earlier you can see. It only happened when the bike was in gear and accelerating. The noise was noticeable from about 15 miles per hour and up... A lot of Honda mechanics reported similar complaints from other NC owners, but all agreed that the noise was negligible and not a concern. I did notice that when the dealer service the bike the noise when away for a couple hundred miles. I did not connect the two things together; the chain was cleaned when it was serviced.

Other members here mentioned the different tensions on the chain while accelerating and while the throttle is released. Other members mentioned that when they clean the chain and sprocket, a similar noise they were experiencing went away. Sure enough, after cleaning all the grunge and lubing up with WD40, NOISE VANISHED!!!

I am near 8,000 miles now, and nothing has made that noise go away except cleaning chain.

No. If you read from earlier you can see. It only happened when the bike was in gear and accelerating. The noise was noticeable from about 15 miles per hour and up... A lot of Honda mechanics reported similar complaints from other NC owners, but all agreed that the noise was negligible and not a concern. I did notice that when the dealer service the bike the noise when away for a couple hundred miles. I did not connect the two things together; the chain was cleaned when it was serviced.

Other members here mentioned the different tensions on the chain while accelerating and while the throttle is released. Other members mentioned that when they clean the chain and sprocket, a similar noise they were experiencing went away. Sure enough, after cleaning all the grunge and lubing up with WD40, NOISE VANISHED!!!

I am near 8,000 miles now, and nothing has made that noise go away except cleaning chain.

Appreciate every second of every ride, with no annoying racket! :D :cool:

I notice the whine sound only in first gear while accelerating away from a stop. I believe it is the first gear meshing with the drive gear and creating a high pitched whine. Shifting to second gear, or 3rd, 4th, 5th, or 6th, the whine disappears. So that is why I think it is the engaged 1st gear whine.
I also noticed this whine while listening to other members demonstrating the sounds of their new after market muffler. When they accelerate away from a stop in first gear you can hear the gear whine in the sound recording. When they return back by the microphone, in higher gears, there is no whine detected in the recording.
Just my take?

The noise I was experiencing and explaining was present in any gear. It was less noticeable due to the bike volume increasing, but nonetheless present. If you see, I had the problem up in the 12-20mph range. The dct is already in or near 3rd gear by then. And the noise continued as noticeable through 40mph when the dct is in 6th gear.

After the mechanic serviced and cleaned the chain, the noise disappeared. Came back a while later. I cleaned the chain really well, the noise diappeared. about 1500 miles later now, it's coming back ever so slightly.... I'm gonna clean/lube soon..... Stay tunes....I'll share my results....

Back