• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Nice fitting tail bag - Saddlemen R1300LXE

zirconx

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been looking for a good tailbag for the NC700x. I'm getting ready for a trip to Arkansas next week and settled on a Saddlemen R1300LXE. I removed the rear seat so I can access the gas filler without unstrapping anything. It looks like it will work well.

2015_04_10_18_46_59.jpg

5655f1bf-5cb4-4d8e-aea2-771128bfc1ea.jpg

Me too , Fuzzy. That was the first thing I wondered about with my Nelson Rigg soft bags. Why make a rain cover (one blew off) when you could just make it waterproof in the first place.

I am using straps that come straight downward from the bag, so yes the rain cover goes on easily without unhooking any straps. The rain cover has a draw string to pull it tight around the bottom of the bag, so it should stay put. I applied two coats of Camp Dry to the bag, so it should stay dry in a light sprinkle even without the rain cover.

They do make waterproof soft luggage of course, but it's much more rare than the non-waterproof variety. I would guess the reasons are cost, demand, and usability. There are a lot of fair weather riders out there that don't need to want to pay for waterproof luggage. And waterproof bags are typically not as easy to use (harder to open, no pockets, etc) due to their construction.

Most waterproof tail bags look like this:
0003c329b90a8e0c50a9bf20e6618849.jpg

That would be a pain for grabbing a waterbottle or camera. Fine for carrying your clothes & tent all day though.

If money were no object I would be using this BMW waterproof tailbag.
41c9dcEjGHL.jpg

But I don't think it's near as easy to strap on.

The other bag I use when I need to carry camping gear is the Large MotoFizz Camping Seat Bag #9027 from Aerostich. It's gigantic. I couldn't find a picture of it on my bike. But I move it pretty easily for fill ups. Just two buckles in back, then I roll the bag forward on to the front seat.

9027_7f.jpg

Last edited:
I've been looking for a good tailbag for the NC700x. I'm getting ready for a trip to Arkansas next week and settled on a Saddlemen R1300LXE. I removed the rear seat so I can access the gas filler without unstrapping anything. It looks like it will work well.

For the life of me, I can't figure out how you mounted the bag there facing forward. The included straps make no sense to me. The three-way adapter has two male ends and the back only has a male end. The other straps have one male and one female.

The only way I can see to make it work is to use the 3-way strap on the back and hook it to the front, but then the bag will tip forward. The only other way I can see to mount it makes it a hassle to take off/reattach. (I want a way to just go snap-snap and remove, and snap-snap attach, without having to re-thread the straps).

How'd you get it to work? Did you have to buy additional straps?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I've been looking for hard bags (too darned expensive) because of the fuel tank location. I would buy an inexpensive set of throw over bags but then every time I fuel up I'd have to remove the bags. And I don't want to leave my seat off all of the time. I'm looking at some soft bags with straps that I can strap to the hand hold rails that way I won't have to remove any straps to fuel up. Your new bag looks good.

Back