• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

newbie question about the standard hard cases.

It is my understanding the 29L volume for the Honda bags is both bags combined. They seem to be awfully small. Can some one confirm or deny what Honda means by 29 liters? If the Honda bags are really 29L per bag they are a masterpiece of engineering or something like Dr. Who's Tardis.

Thanks.

If I'm not mistaken, the ones from Honda are 29L. The Honda mounting hardware is not compatible with anything but Honda bags. If you want Givis, you'll have to buy the mounting hardware and swap out the Honda brackets.

A lot of folks on here have gone with an SW Motech setup that can take Givi, SW Motech and I think a few more brands. Good luck.

It is my understanding the 29L volume for the Honda bags is both bags combined. They seem to be awfully small. Can some one confirm or deny what Honda means by 29 liters? If the Honda bags are really 29L per bag they are a masterpiece of engineering or something like Dr. Who's Tardis.

Thanks.

Lets think about it this way. The OEM top box is 45 Litres. If the combined total of the two saddle bags was 29 litres that means my two saddle bags can hold just slightly more than half of what my trunk can. Make sense? That is definitely not the case. My two saddle bags can easily handle the same amount as my top box.

Thinking about it from another direction. Is it possible that the saddle bags are 29 Litres each for a combined total of 58 Litres? This is only 13 Litres more than the top box. If you have prior experience as a load master in the Airforce you might be able to make it happen. LOL!

My point is, I would say they are 29 Litres each although the odd interior shape makes you work for it.

I bought the cee bailey liner bags, I love them. Makes it easy to use all the available space.

ctxbag_1.jpg

[would someone please tell me what max load is in each Honda side case?]

I believe it's around 20 pounds (9 kg) which seems to be an industry standard, no matter how big or small the side bag. Just looking at the official Honda side bags, it's difficult to believe that it's a true 29 L size so they're probably using all the nooks & crannies in the volume measurement and these are often useable space.
Thank you
9kg is more than I think I would put in each case

I'm sorry Sarge but I don't think that proves anything. You're just telling us you subjective observations. I prefer objective facts. I guess we'll just have to wait until someone has the patience to actually measure the volume to be sure. Hint: get a 1 liter bottle and a lot of time and water...:roll eyes:

Here is one of the reason I think they are closer to 15 liters per bag. This was mentioned in more than one review when the bike was released but I haven't heard much about it since. Listen to his comment about 2 minutes, 45 seconds into the video:

NC700X Review by Motorcycle.com

Lets think about it this way. The OEM top box is 45 Litres. If the combined total of the two saddle bags was 29 litres that means my two saddle bags can hold just slightly more than half of what my trunk can. Make sense? That is definitely not the case. My two saddle bags can easily handle the same amount as my top box.

Thinking about it from another direction. Is it possible that the saddle bags are 29 Litres each for a combined total of 58 Litres? This is only 13 Litres more than the top box. If you have prior experience as a load master in the Airforce you might be able to make it happen. LOL!

My point is, I would say they are 29 Litres each although the odd interior shape makes you work for it.

Last edited:
I'm sorry Sarge but I don't think that proves anything. You're just telling us you subjective observations. I prefer objective facts. I guess we'll just have to wait until someone has the patience to actually measure the volume to be sure. Hint: get a 1 liter bottle and a lot of time and water...:roll eyes:

Here is one of the reason I think they are closer to 15 liters per bag. This was mentioned in more than one review when the bike was released but I haven't heard much about it since. Listen to his comment about 2 minutes, 45 seconds into the video:

NC700X Review by Motorcycle.com

Good Luck! Your saying that one sidecase holds 1/3 the capacity of the topbox?

Last edited:
Back