• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Newbie high mileage nc700x

Great find! Even has the stock exhaust. If my 2012 was ever destroyed or stolen, I‘d hope to find one like yours as a replacement (except I’d want a manual transmission).

Here she is. Home safe and sound. All maintenance looks to have been done by previous owner. Included some extra filters and O rings seals etc for forks. Cleaned up the chain and was within specs for stretch. Gonna love this!
View attachment 54091View attachment 54092
Very nice. The chain looks a little tight but it might be the camera angle.

Very nice. The chain looks a little tight but it might be the camera angle.
Checked chain. Within 1 3/8” specs. And looks almost new DID 520vx3. Cleaned it up a bit as well as sprocket, but minor cleanup and sprayed with dry lube. Gotta do some research yet on best chain lube.

Checked chain. Within 1 3/8” specs. And looks almost new DID 520vx3. Cleaned it up a bit as well as sprocket, but minor cleanup and sprayed with dry lube. Gotta do some research yet on best chain lube.
50/50 mix of ATF and 80/90w gear oil applied with a toothbrush dipped once in the mixture is my go-to.

A few years back I switched to just 80w-90. Last chain lasted several thousand miles longer than when I used commercial chain spray lube. I may try the ATF/gear lube mix if I have an old ATF bottle around.

I got tired of the strong sulfur smell of gear oil, and went back to spray lube. Alisyn is the best overall spray lube I’ve ever found.

How often do you apply this? I wonder how well bar oil would work in place of the 80/90.
Every 300 to 500 miles but have gone further. The grease sealed in the rollers is the real lubrication. The ATF-80/90 more or less keeps the chain quiet. The rear wheel stays as clean as my shaft drive bikes.

Reactions: MZ5
I’m coming from a belt driven 150pcx, so not sure what chain noise would be or even how to listen for it. So far what I hear is the Honda purr of the nc700 low RPM’s.

I’m coming from a belt driven 150pcx, so not sure what chain noise would be or even how to listen for it. So far what I hear is the Honda purr of the nc700 low RPM’s.
What I hear with a too tight chain is a higher pitched whining, singing noise at highway speed. With a too loose chain, I hear it banging against the swingarm, particularly on deceleration (where the slack is on top). I set the chain tension to the loose side of spec and it is quiet. On the tighter side of spec, it is noisy, and the chain life seems to be shortened.

What I hear with a too tight chain is a higher pitched whining, singing noise at highway speed. With a too loose chain, I hear it banging against the swingarm, particularly on deceleration (where the slack is on top). I set the chain tension to the loose side of spec and it is quiet. On the tighter side of spec, it is noisy, and the chain life seems to be shortened.
Loose is better than tight, that’s for sure. On my CBR300R, I would think I was hearing the looseness of the chain, so I’d check, and it would be a bit loose, but on the edge of spec. So I would tighten it a little, but not much. For the record, I used non-O-ring chain on the CBR. With so little hp, any extra drag might matter. In the grand scheme of things, the shorter chain life cost me little.

You can hear the noise change turning the wheel by hand when the lube mixture is applied to the chain. Chains make a certain amount of noise in use that is normal, I suppose.

You can hear the noise change turning the wheel by hand when the lube mixture is applied to the chain. Chains make a certain amount of noise in use that is normal, I suppose.
I’m gonna assume my chain is good and lubed then. I can’t hear any noise at all both by hand or at hwy speeds.

FWIW… and In case anyone needs to know in the future… the DCT filter can be changed without dropping all the oil out. I didn’t have that filter when I changed the oil, so did the tiny filter after the fact.

Back