• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Newbie high mileage nc700x

jburner

Reaction score
Visit site
Newbie here. Thanks for the forum. I have a chance at a 2012 nc700x dct with 30k on it. It has everything I want on this bike. Looks like it’s in great shape and appears to be well taken care of. Price is very good according to KBB value. Is there anything I should be concerned about with that many miles on it?

Newbie here. Thanks for the forum. I have a chance at a 2012 nc700x dct with 30k on it. It has everything I want on this bike. Looks like it’s in great shape and appears to be well taken care of. Price is very good according to KBB value. Is there anything I should be concerned about with that many miles on it?
I’ve been watching an NC700X on Fuelly. It is up to 172,500 miles now. That I might consider high mileage, but the NC is capable going around the world many times.

I assume being from Wisconsin, 30k means 30,000 miles. The general condition of the motorcycle, particularly consumables like chain, tires, battery, etc. is far more important than the actual mileage. For the frame, engine, and transmission, 30,000 is low miles. No NC year is any more troublesome than another. I have a 2012 with 69,000 miles and I expect it to go another 69,000 if I want it to.

If it appears well taken care of, as you say, it should be a good machine.

Welcome to the forum.

Excellent! Thats just what I wanted to hear. Thanks! I’ll be back. Picking up Friday and yes it’s in very good shape clean chain, little wear and tear on the usual visible parts. I’ve heard these will go for awhile.

Yes 30k is 30,000

I agree with Greg. 30k miles is low miles, not high miles, on an NCX. You may need a clutch before 100k, but the engine & tranny should last ages if you just do the maintenance on time and use decent parts and fluids.

Everyone has it right! I picked up my 2013 DCT with ~32k miles and have ~39k miles now. Have had zero issues and rely on it as my daily commuter rain or shine.

Do or have the valves checked. I know people that clean the hell out of their bikes, but never have their valves checked. When I buy a used bike, I always assume that none of the fluids have been changed in a while, so I do that. A clean bike does not always mean a healthy bike. Once you get it home you'll have more time to really look it over. Check the tires for cracks, the seal on the frunk, etc....

Do or have the valves checked. I know people that clean the hell out of their bikes, but never have their valves checked. When I buy a used bike, I always assume that none of the fluids have been changed in a while, so I do that. A clean bike does not always mean a healthy bike. Once you get it home you'll have more time to really look it over. Check the tires for cracks, the seal on the frunk, etc....
I always zero out the maintenance clock on anything I buy used. The only thing I know is that it has one key, so I’ll have to have another two made. HD109 I hear is the way to go for 2012.

Excellent! Thats just what I wanted to hear. Thanks! I’ll be back. Picking up Friday and yes it’s in very good shape clean chain, little wear and tear on the usual visible parts. I’ve heard these will go for awhile.

Yes 30k is 30,000
It’s not a big deal or deal breaker, but if the chain is really clean, that can be a sign of overzealous cleaning and potentially damaged chain o-rings. Buy the bike anyway, but inspect the chain closely. OTOH, maybe it’s just a brand new chain, which would be a really good thing.

Good luck, and have fun.

It just looks like a newer chain. Gold colored. Not sure if that means quality or cheap. Seems like the chains indicator isn’t pushed all the way back, so I’m assuming new(er) chain.

It just looks like a newer chain. Gold colored. Not sure if that means quality or cheap. Seems like the chains indicator isn’t pushed all the way back, so I’m assuming new(er) chain.
Gold color on a chain usually means it costs maybe $10 more, nothing else.

Congratulations! I agree with the above sentiments about the mileage. I bought my 2012 last year with almost the same mileage (45,000 km) without hesitation. Furthermore, I’d almost rather see a 12 year old bike with 30K miles than 3K. Lack of use does terrible things to a machine. If the 30K was relatively evenly spread over its life, that’s excellent!

As for the key, HD109 is the one for sure. I just had a couple of emergency spares made. If you want a nice Honda blank, there is one with a plainer Honda head than the “correct” one for the NC. I can’t recall the part number at the moment, but it’s about half the price of the NC key with the big fat head. I’ll try to figure it out at work today.

My personal experience with gold chains is that they are easier to clean, or at least easier to see the results of cleaning. Other than that, no difference unless you like the looks.

Congratulations! I agree with the above sentiments about the mileage. I bought my 2012 last year with almost the same mileage (45,000 km) without hesitation. Furthermore, I’d almost rather see a 12 year old bike with 30K miles than 3K. Lack of use does terrible things to a machine. If the 30K was relatively evenly spread over its life, that’s excellent!

As for the key, HD109 is the one for sure. I just had a couple of emergency spares made. If you want a nice Honda blank, there is one with a plainer Honda head than the “correct” one for the NC. I can’t recall the part number at the moment, but it’s about half the price of the NC key with the big fat head. I’ll try to figure it out at work today.

My personal experience with gold chains is that they are easier to clean, or at least easier to see the results of cleaning. Other than that, no difference unless you like the looks.
I'd appreciate knowing that part number. Thanks. I'm sure I'll do the set the keys in the frunk and close it and lock the one key inside sometime and want to have spares on hand.

• Haha
Reactions: MZ5
I'd appreciate knowing that part number. Thanks. I'm sure I'll do the set the keys in the frunk and close it and lock the one key inside sometime and want to have spares on hand.
OK. I’ll do my best to remember to look it up (I work at a dealership). I have the two original keys, but I had two cheap keys made out of an abundance of caution. One will become a frunk knob (there are threads here about that), and the other will live in my riding gear for emergencies. I admit that for an everyday use ignition key, I would want the Honda blank, because it looks proper. I’m shallow that way. :p

Make a frunk knob key with one of your spares. The likelyhood of locking a key in the frunk will then be very slim.

There are many mentions of the dedicated frunk key on the forum. Here is one: https://www.nc700-forum.com/threads/frunk-key-my-mod.9276/

The “correct” Honda blank is 35121-MGS-A31. I can see no functional difference between it and the pictured blank. As I say, if you want the stylin’ Honda grip, it’s noticeably less expensive.IMG_1953.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1952.jpeg
    IMG_1952.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
Back when my 2012 was new, I was getting HD109 blanks with cutting included for something like $2 at a local farm/home/auto store. If you have access to a Farm & Fleet, Fleet Farm, or Rural King sort of thing, see if they have HD109 blanks.

Back when my 2012 was new, I was getting HD109 blanks with cutting included for something like $2 at a local farm/home/auto store. If you have access to a Farm & Fleet, Fleet Farm, or Rural King sort of thing, see if they have HD109 blanks.
Times change. My HD109s were $7 CDN each at the best locksmith in town. Highway robbery! :p

Back