• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

new to NC700x DCT ... have a question ..

geesantoz

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,

I am new to this forum, i have been lurking on this forum for quite sometime and recently getting NC700x DCT.

I just ride 2 times, when i get the bike and today for commute.
Have question on D mode (I have not tried other mode), it seems there is some machine rumble with same feeling on conventional bike (non-DCT) when not enough throttle when i use half clutch open. I hope i explained it right. usually when this happen, adding some more rev on the throttle or pull the clutch a little will smooth the things (rumble) out.
But as on DCT i can't play around with clutch, the rumble keep continue until i rev higher enough (although still a little rumble feel even on higher rev).

Is this normal with DCT ? I am kind of wondering if the dealer is not set the things right when they give the bike to me.
I thought the machine will be more smoother, but its not on my case.

My only guess is that you may be feeling some low rpm lugging because the DCT shift points are extremely low in the rev range/speed equation.

Any bike with a regular manual clutch that has the lever "pulled in a bit" or "half open" will be slipping, and thereby increasing the rpm, so if that's the case of your meaning in this context, and how it would help with a rumbling sensation, sorry, there would not be any such behaviour in a DCT. Not to mention that would be a bad thing in a manual or DCT of course.

This engine does have more of a lugging, lumpy, pulsating-type feel to it than you may be used to. Especially when brand new. I would give it at least a few hundred miles to start noticing any real noticeable difference in a bit smoother feel.

My bike isn't a DCT, but it took about 700 miles or so before it got rid of a very strange pulsation feel, then it went away completely. :)

What you describe sounds completely normal for a DCT in D mode, it's fine, just torquey.

Sounds like you may prefer S mode though.

It sounds strange that you say you haven't tried the S mode yet, it's only a click.

I was all over my gearbox on the first day, D, S, Manual modes, analizing them all day long.

What LBS said.... in D mode, it tries to keep the RPM's as low as possible, so it might lug a bit in some situations. S mode will help a lot there.

That said, this motor can lug and still pull. It makes torque at lower RPM's than most other motorcycle motors, so a little lugging is just fine and it will pull through it. For this bike, in D mode, it sounds like normal operation.

Try the S mode, it will be a bit more willing to downshift and rev a little.

Thanks Racenut ...
I am just trying to be gentle with this new bike ... :rolleyes:
Hmmm ... I will try the S mode and see how it goes later.

Also to add, there is an occasion where i need to slow down to a stop but i feel the bike engine about to die on the lower rpm. some lug and luckily i can give more rev when the traffic allow.
Fz6R is my previous bike hence the RPM is much higher, perhaps just need to get used to.

Thanks Racenut ...
I am just trying to be gentle with this new bike ... :rolleyes:
Hmmm ... I will try the S mode and see how it goes later.

Also to add, there is an occasion where i need to slow down to a stop but i feel the bike engine about to die on the lower rpm. some lug and luckily i can give more rev when the traffic allow.
Fz6R is my previous bike hence the RPM is much higher, perhaps just need to get used to.

yes, be gentle for the first 300 miles break-in time. i would be gentle for the first 600 miles which your first oil change.

congrats on the bike,

what you feel seem normal. learn to feather the throttle.

Hello,

I am new to this forum, i have been lurking on this forum for quite sometime and recently getting NC700x DCT.

I just ride 2 times, when i get the bike and today for commute.
Have question on D mode (I have not tried other mode), it seems there is some machine rumble with same feeling on conventional bike (non-DCT) when not enough throttle when i use half clutch open. I hope i explained it right. usually when this happen, adding some more rev on the throttle or pull the clutch a little will smooth the things (rumble) out.
But as on DCT i can't play around with clutch, the rumble keep continue until i rev higher enough (although still a little rumble feel even on higher rev).

Is this normal with DCT ? I am kind of wondering if the dealer is not set the things right when they give the bike to me.
I thought the machine will be more smoother, but its not on my case.

Welcome Aboard and CONGRATS on the new bike. Also greetings from SoCal, San Fernando Valley that is.

"D-Mode" will strong-arm the trans to shift into 6th gear too soon, thus causing the engine rumble and lug when the throttle is twisted sharply. This is normal, no need to be alarmed... :eek:

Try the riding the bike around is "S-Mode" around town, this will make the bike be more resposive to your throttle inputs. I suggest that you read this tread to help you better understand the differences of the "Drive Modes" my post start at #5, DCT S-mode Question. This would also be a good thread to read through, my post start at #10, Manual up shift when in "S" (or "D").

Let me know if you have any further questions. :confused:

In the meantime, say "Hello" to NaNCy...

Attachments

• IMG_3499.jpg
    IMG_3499.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 450
  • IMG_3498.jpg
    IMG_3498.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 510
  • IMG_3501.jpg
    IMG_3501.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 482
Yeah, Don't feel obligated to stay in D mode in break in. Switch to S. You'll enjoy the bike a lot more and that noise will go away. The only twerk I've found is 2nd gear holds much too long in S mode for my liking so you may consider manual upshifts earlier and hope the system adjusts to your preference over time. I still use D mode when I just want to lug in a straight line but even before a corner I tend to switch to S mode so that I get some back pressure. I don't like turning with the neutral feeling D mode provides.

I'm pretty sure as you explore this bike more you're going to love it even more than you may now. LIKE MUCH more if you've only used D mode.

I would suggest that while you are running in (breaking in) the new engine that you use S mode more as this will change down to a lower gear sooner and therefore not put so much strain on the engine by lugging at low revs in high gear. However, you also don't want to use maximum revs while breaking in, so I would suggest using the upshift paddle to change up and drop the revs if necessary in S mode.

Basically while breaking in you should employ a good variety of engine speeds and loads while avoiding extremes of either. However you don't want to be too gentle as you won't get proper bedding in of piston rings and cylinders. Car drivers who never put enough load on the engine can sometimes end up with a car which uses lots of oil because the engine is never worked hard enough to bed in properly.

Fred

Car drivers who never put enough load on the engine can sometimes end up with a car which uses lots of oil because the engine is never worked hard enough to bed in properly.

Fred

Yeah...I agree. I think a mix of gentle and rough is okay. Just don't beat on it or be too gentle. Happy medium.

Jelly's answer was right on. It is normal and engine is fine. As you can see in other replies some don't like it, but that is personal preference neither right or wrong. In time you will get used to it and find your own preference on D /S of manual override of either.

Enjoy your ride.

after some time with the D mode, I have now used S mode for around time driving.
D is great for the highway/freeway/motorway. When you want to pass a truck/car just flick to - and over take. It will automatically go back to a higher gear once you pass.
S is great for around town. Gives you that get up and go. Good engine braking.
I haven't played around much with the M mode as yet. Only one time and it was fun just playing round with it.
have fun with the dct. I like the options it gives me.

Thank You all for the suggestions.

I try the S mode when i commute back to home ... and nuff said ... i really enjoy the S-mode more than D with much less engine lug.
With all lane so pack, i feel more power to pass by rows and rows of cars. :)
play with +/- shift more on S-mode also, and on occasion still over rev the rpm but not so much.
will try later for D-mode when the traffic is not so jam with ready to use the +/- shift to get better control as suggested.

however my butt still says otherwise :rolleyes: ... let's see if the stock seat will be more gentle on my bottom over time.

I think I'm almost the only one that doesn't complain about the seat.
I read so many people change out the seats, but for me the seat is just fine.
Maybe I am a harda*s ???:eek:

Honda designed the seat to fit someone's butt. Lucky for you, it must have been yours!

You are not alone. I quite like my stock seat. Slope, slippery fabric n' all ;)

You are not alone. I quite like my stock seat. Slope, slippery fabric n' all ;)

+1 on the seat.

I can easily handle an hour in the saddle, 1&1/2 hours sometimes.

Even if I could go longer I'd stop by then anyway for a fag break and a sip of juice. (that's cigarette to you Americans, I'm not gay!) ;)

Back