• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New seat and chain.

Deckyon

Reaction score
raven.deckyon.com
This past week I was in Hampton, TN for the Adventure Rider's Rick's Eastern Rendezvous. There were about 150 other riders all out in the eastern TN roads and staying at Black Bear Resort. It was a great week. My ride in from Louisville, KY was right at 315 miles (give or take) and my total mileage when I got home was over 1250.

The weather was great Wednesday through Saturday (only a little rain on Friday, but that depended on which side of the mountains you ended up - I got about 40 mins of rain) however it rained most of my ride home, about 230 miles out of 315 (or so).

I had just picked up a new helmet, so I had no idea how it was going to behave in the rain, but it never fogged up even a little! That would have really made that ride home a long one... Anyway, I pull onto my street and feel something weird and lose all power to the rear wheel. I coast into my driveway, get it on the kickstand and look down to see no chain at all. I knew it was loose when I left TN, and I guess the torrential rainfall and and crappy roads just finished it off. At least it happened when I was only going about 10mph rather than the highway speeds I was doing only 5 minutes before that.

Monday I got the chain ordered along with a new seat. I finally gave up on the original seat with an Airhawk cushion. This last trip was my last try with that combo. I went with a Shad seat to start with, as it was the least expensive. Once I got the chain on the bike and the seat mounted on Tuesday (gotta love Amazon Prime) I went for a short ride to my bike night. Immediately I felt the difference, as well as it lowering the seat height a good inch or two. I even had to adjust the mirrors for the new height. And it felt amazing. I will get a better feel this coming weekend, but just in that short 40 minutes it was night and day from the original.

I ended up getting a heavier duty chain than the one I used to have.

DID 520VX2GB-112 Gold X-Ring Chain with Connecting Link

Here is the link to the SHAD seat I got as well.

SHAD Comfort Seat Honda NC700

Nice to have everything back to normal or improved again on the ole NC. Love the machine and have so much fun on it. My new rear tire I had mounted the week before I left really earned it's price. With all that rain coming from TN north. Michelin Pilot Road 4's are the bomb in the rain. Never once felt them slip or felt uncomfortable. I highly recommend them, especially if you live somewhere with a lot of rain. They were superb on the dry pavement, and sticky in the wet.

I am going to have to sit on that seat and see if I like it. After this past weekend at KL, my a$$ is still sore (even with my Airhawk). I switched to a DID x-ring chain also-I was disappointed in my last JT chain.
I switched to the Kenda K671 series tires and after the weekend at KL, really like them. Stuck like glue, even riding thru the Dragon on the way home in the rain, and Interstate in the rain was no problem.

Your chain must have broke. If it had just jumped a sprocket (being too loose), it would have still been hanging there. You got lucky, low speed so nothing got jammed into the front sprocket area or rear wheel. I have seen some pics of riders where the chain jumped the sprocket and put them down on the pavement due to locked wheel at highway speed.

Last edited:
As a side note I have a Shad seat to sell. I got it for temporary use but no longer need it. It has maybe 30 miles on it. Front section only. PM me if interested. I'm on another trip right now but I'll list it as soon as I return.

Yes, I got infinitely lucky with the chain derailment.

Yeah, you can check the seat, no problem. Plan on riding up to Madison this Monday with a couple others to get a burger and shake. Leaving from Tom Sawyer Park at 10 or so. I have to be back in Louisville around 3pm (give/take). Can either meet in Madison or at TSP.

You have to finish the story. The chain must of popped of on your street. Did you walk back to get it? If nothing else, just to see how it failed

Yes, I got infinitely lucky with the chain derailment.

Yeah, you can check the seat, no problem. Plan on riding up to Madison this Monday with a couple others to get a burger and shake. Leaving from Tom Sawyer Park at 10 or so. I have to be back in Louisville around 3pm (give/take). Can either meet in Madison or at TSP.

If it aint raining, I will meet you at TSP...

You have to finish the story. The chain must of popped of on your street. Did you walk back to get it? If nothing else, just to see how it failed

I went home, unpacked, got a shower and then went back to look for the chain. It was gone. I looked for more than 15 minutes where I thought it would have been. At this point, I know it broke. I know it was loose when I left TN. I know I have been adjusting it a lot lately and it had almost 10k miles on it.

There is a guy I see once a year every end of July at the Troy Fair in Troy, Pa.
Last July in 2016 saw him.
He was walking again but with a limp.
He said he was the passenger on a motorcycle in June 2016 when the chain broke and wrapped his ankle and broke the ankle.
When I saw him the last week of July 2016 he said he was just walking for the first time since that occurred.
A chain coming off at road speeds can do some damage.
Glad you made it home okay.

God bless!!

Michael

As a side note I have a Shad seat to sell. I got it for temporary use but no longer need it. It has maybe 30 miles on it. Front section only. PM me if interested. I'm on another trip right now but I'll list it as soon as I return.

I'm probably too late but have you sold your seat yet?

Back